ARRL has no FIRE for sale?

1 view

Len Over 21

Oct 27, 2003, 1:54:10 PM10/27/03
As of 1300 EST on 27 Oct 03, the ARRL news page has not one
word about the many fires in California which have consumed a
quarter million acres (half the land area of Rhode Island), over
500 homes destroyed, over 11 dead, now in its 5th day. Over
5000 firemen are deployed and personnel and equipment from six
western states are arriving to help firefighters in an area from
Ventura County to the Mexican border.

Where are all the "emergency ham teams" who are supposed to
jump like minutemen into all the disaster work?

All the ARRL news page has on it are a single "In Brief" squib
about "Montana hams receive recognition" for the long-past
Montana wildfires. PAST news.

The nice comfy northereasterners apparently don't recognize much
of the western states of the USA, hardly have in the past. They
only consider hurricanes and floods as emergencies...because
those things happen in the east. Nice "representation of all" by
the League?

Yup, there's the premier amateur radio communications outfit
sitting up there in Newington with the Internet at its disposal
(not to mention W1AW) and can't get the word out. Too busy
being "representative for all amateurs?" Lots of nice newsy
stuff elsewhere, especially localized along the east coast.

Center of population for the USA is well WEST of the Mississippi and
California has the greatest population of any state in the Union and
on par in population with all of Canada. Apparently "6-land" doesn't
exist in the thinking of new englanders.

LHA

N2EY

Oct 27, 2003, 4:39:30 PM10/27/03
leno...@aol.com (Len Over 21) wrote in message news:<20031027135410...@mb-m15.aol.com>...

> As of 1300 EST on 27 Oct 03, the ARRL news page has not one
> word

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2003/10/27/2/?nc=1

as of 1640 EST.

Rest of Len's typical ARRL bashing snipped.

charlesb

Oct 27, 2003, 6:10:15 PM10/27/03

"Len Over 21" <leno...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Apparently "6-land" doesn't exist in the thinking of new englanders.

I'm sure they are like the rest of the country... We all know that
California is there - but we try not to dwell on it too much.

Most likely, you are not hearing news reports by hams in the west because
they are currently too busy doing something useful. One pattern I've noted
over the years is that reporting of ham involvement in emergencies generally
has a significant time-lag. I'm not saying that this is good or bad; I'm
just saying that that's how it generally goes.

P.S. Is it really true that they call California the "cereal bowl state"
because once you get past all the fruits and nuts, the only thing left are
the flakes?

Charles ( No Texas jokes, please! ) Brabham, N5PVL

ARRL Sucks

Oct 27, 2003, 6:23:43 PM10/27/03
The ARRL is a Yankee organization, run by Yankees
who think the center of the universe is New England.

Hams in Hawaii have been asking for years to have
QST bulk air-mailed to Hawaii, the same as all other
publishers do to ensure timely delivery. ARRL has
been farting off Hawaii hams for years. Screw the
League!

Aloha

Dan/W4NTI

Oct 27, 2003, 7:27:07 PM10/27/03

"ARRL Sucks" <no...@nobodyxh.org> wrote in message

The ARRL has contracted their publishing and do not do it themselves.
Perhaps you should contact the publisher/printer ?

Dan/W4NTI

Jim Hampton

Oct 27, 2003, 7:46:10 PM10/27/03
Jim,

Len should subscribe to our newspaper. Late sports info is printed *two*
days later. He may not understand that it takes time for information to be
collected and printed (even if only on the internet).

I only wish that my worst problems were the ARRL and CW vs no code. LOL.
These guys are going to drop from coronaries or stroke long before their
time.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

"N2EY" <N2...@AOL.COM> wrote in message

Jack Hamilton

Oct 27, 2003, 7:46:55 PM10/27/03

The ARRL is ultimately responsible for the production and delivery of
their magazine, however much they may choose to contract out; the
printer will do whatever the ARRL will pay them to do, within reasonable
limits. It's the ARRL's decision.

--
Jack Hamilton
j...@acm.org

If men are to wait for liberty until they become wise and good in slavery,
they may indeed wait for ever.
- Lord MacCaulay

Hans K0HB

Oct 27, 2003, 8:08:30 PM10/27/03
leno...@aol.com (Len Over 21) wrote

> As of 1300 EST on 27 Oct 03, the ARRL news page has not one

> word about the many fires in California which have consumed a
> quarter million acres (half the land area of Rhode Island), over
> 500 homes destroyed, over 11 dead, now in its 5th day.

Up here in Minnesota it just doesn't seem to be of any importance what
some radio-hobbiest club near Hartford, CT, writes about on their web
page. The ARRL isn't relevant to the massive tragedy you folks are
facing.

Rather than sending hobby radiomen, the State of Minnesota DNR is
sending you one of our new Canadian-built arial tankers, an augmented
flight crew, and additional DNR firefighters to help you and your
neighbors.

Stay safe, Len.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Dave Heil

Oct 27, 2003, 9:37:05 PM10/27/03
N2EY wrote:

> leno...@aol.com (Len Over 21) wrote in message news:<20031027135410...@mb-m15.aol.com>...
> > As of 1300 EST on 27 Oct 03, the ARRL news page has not one
> > word
>
> http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2003/10/27/2/?nc=1
>
> as of 1640 EST.

This leaves Len munching his brogans once again.

> Rest of Len's typical ARRL bashing snipped.

Hasn't Len made it clear on any number of occasions that he is not
anti-ARRL?

Dave K8MN

Len Over 21

Oct 27, 2003, 10:41:10 PM10/27/03
In article <5ee63311.03102...@posting.google.com>,
grou...@earthlink.net (Hans K0HB) writes:

>leno...@aol.com (Len Over 21) wrote
>
>> As of 1300 EST on 27 Oct 03, the ARRL news page has not one
>> word about the many fires in California which have consumed a
>> quarter million acres (half the land area of Rhode Island), over
>> 500 homes destroyed, over 11 dead, now in its 5th day.
>
>Up here in Minnesota it just doesn't seem to be of any importance what
>some radio-hobbiest club near Hartford, CT, writes about on their web
>page. The ARRL isn't relevant to the massive tragedy you folks are
>facing.

The ARRL's vaunted Emergency classes are SUPPOSED to be
relevant to this sort of thing.

>Rather than sending hobby radiomen, the State of Minnesota DNR is
>sending you one of our new Canadian-built arial tankers, an augmented
>flight crew, and additional DNR firefighters to help you and your
>neighbors.

That's good to hear, Hans. My thanks to the good state of
Minnesota for their help.

The total of firefighting personnel is now greater than 8000 from
many states, engaged in three major firestorm locations over a
120 mile radius, North of Los Angeles County to south of San
Diego to east of San Bernardino.

Air Carrier flights have been slowed greatly due to evacuation of
an FAA air traffic control center near San Diego. That has
reflected to major urban air centers around the country. The
desert TRACON in northern part of Los Angeles is operating at
capacity trying to absorb some of the ATC load.

>Stay safe, Len.

Not a problem, Hans, but I thank you for your good wishes.

I'll just access ARRL news page for the latest "emergency
steps" to take. :-)

Have fun in the code contest. Keep that carpal tunnel open.

LHA

Len Over 21

Oct 27, 2003, 10:41:13 PM10/27/03
In article <c2356669.03102...@posting.google.com>, N2...@AOL.COM
(N2EY) writes:

>http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2003/10/27/2/?nc=1
>
>as of 1640 EST.
>
>Rest of Len's typical ARRL bashing snipped.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. 5 1/2 days. Then, suddenly, "news" appears on
ARRL that Something Is Happening Out West...a bit over two
hours after I posted a No News Statement.

Somebody in Newington must have gone into the archives back
room and found an Almanac showing more than 48 states in
the USA. Wow! Discovery!

No problem on hurricanes...those are reported constantly after
NOAA puts out the word. Busy morose code users activate Nets
and Prepare For The Worst. This last one really had an impact
with all the "devestation" everywhere, didn't it?

Really "with it" news reporting from New England...

LHA

Len Over 21

Oct 27, 2003, 10:41:12 PM10/27/03
In article <rBhnb.111$UJ6.17...@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>, "charlesb"
<n5...@sbcglobal.net> writes:

>"Len Over 21" <leno...@aol.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Apparently "6-land" doesn't exist in the thinking of new englanders.
>
>I'm sure they are like the rest of the country... We all know that
>California is there - but we try not to dwell on it too much.

More than one tenth of ALL Americans live in California, dumbass.

It's the most populous state in the Union. Or did you think Tay-hass
seceeded from the Union again?

>Most likely, you are not hearing news reports by hams in the west because
>they are currently too busy doing something useful.

Such as?

While I can't get much reach outside of NVIS' 300 km radius from
these hills, I didn't hear anything on any HF ham band nets.

They are "doing something useful" just like they did in the 1994
Northridge quake...getting the hell out...MOST LIKELY.

>One pattern I've noted
>over the years is that reporting of ham involvement in emergencies generally
>has a significant time-lag. I'm not saying that this is good or bad; I'm
>just saying that that's how it generally goes.

Radio waves propagate at faster than 180 thousand miles per second,
dumbass.

Are all these "emergency workers" getting organized by mean old
telephone landline? Don't they know that "telephones always fail
during emergencies and disasters?" [they are always saying that in
here]

>P.S. Is it really true that they call California the "cereal bowl state"
>because once you get past all the fruits and nuts, the only thing left are
>the flakes?

No. California has a tremendous agribusiness that feeds most of
the western, mountain, and middle western states. Texas couldn't
possibly do near as well...they try with steer and say that their
steer manure is "manna."

>Charles ( No Texas jokes, please! ) Brabham, N5PVL

Don't have a cow, dumbass.

LHA

Len Over 21

Oct 27, 2003, 10:41:11 PM10/27/03
In article <m%inb.6096$083....@news02.roc.ny>, "Jim Hampton"
<aa...@frontiernet.net> writes:

>Len should subscribe to our newspaper. Late sports info is printed *two*
>days later. He may not understand that it takes time for information to be
>collected and printed (even if only on the internet).

Newspapers here in Southern California are printed DAILY. They
are as up to the minute as a press run for 1.4 million copies of
TWO daily editions of the L. A. TIMES.

Radio propagates faster than 180 thousand miles per second. So
does light. 15 million folks out here in the southern region can
SEE the smoke from (now) over 250,000 acres burned and burning.

Telephones work here, despite the insistence of some that "telephones
always fail during emergencies and disasters!" Communications
satellites work fine (there's a full set of them every 3 degrees along
the geosynchronous orbit). We have more Uplink mobile sets that
"work" commsats in the southern part than exist in the entirety of
most individual states.

There's the INTERNET whose well-distributed Backbone will defy
destruction from a massive nuclear onslaught. One in five Americans
has some Internet connection capability in 2002 according to the
U. S. Census Bureau.

FEMA "field-tested" its fly-away video bulletin board systems back
in the '94 quake to show, visually, health and welfare messages in
their most personal and familiar form.

Wire services have all kinds of data terminals and lines (most of
which are dedicated, leased lines, not through dial-up POTS).
Staffers and stringers at the wire news service bureaus are working
24/7 here as well as in the northeast.

ARRL has been advertising its vaunted Emergency Planning and
Operations classes for about two years now. It's time for them
to put their keys where their mouths were...time for the NTS to
quit trying to play Western Union impersonator games (they were
never very good at it).

It's also time that the Newington crowd recognized that MOST of
the United States and MOST of the radio amateurs it is supposed
to represent live WEST of the Mississippi.

NBC evening news with Tom Brokaw featured the decade-old
Emergency Communications Center in Los Angeles that
coordinates the firefighting efforts. NBC didn't interview any ham
radio "emergency groups" nor mention ham radio in any way.

>I only wish that my worst problems were the ARRL and CW vs no code. LOL.
>These guys are going to drop from coronaries or stroke long before their
>time.

Fine, then activate an Emergency Medical Team on Ham Radio to go
rescue those guys south of Boston having all those coronaries and
strokes. ARRL's image is more important than their substance.

ARRL is the ham savior. Ham radio shall not want. Beep, beep.

LHA

Len Over 21

Oct 27, 2003, 11:35:14 PM10/27/03
In article <3F9DD665...@earthlink.net>, Dave Heil <k8...@earthlink.net>
writes:

>N2EY wrote:
>>
>> leno...@aol.com (Len Over 21) wrote in message
>> > As of 1300 EST on 27 Oct 03, the ARRL news page has not one
>> > word
>>
>> http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2003/10/27/2/?nc=1
>>
>> as of 1640 EST.
>
>This leaves Len munching his brogans once again.

Shut the hell up, you little USMC feldwebel. Learn to READ English.

As of 1 PM EST on the 27th of October the ARRL website news
page had NOTHING about the California wildfires. NOTHING.

Go "munch" someone else's shoes, preferrably some CROW
as dessert.

>> Rest of Len's typical ARRL bashing snipped.
>
>Hasn't Len made it clear on any number of occasions that he is not
>anti-ARRL?

ARRL is an EASTERN headquartered organization, more specifically
in the northeastern USA. ARRL doesn't seem to recognize that
MOST of the USA lives WEST of the Mississippi...including licensed
US radio amateurs.

I'm not "anti-ARRL." I'm just showing what they are and what they
are NOT. What they are NOT is NOT "representing ALL amateurs."

ARRL is eastern-oriented, almost obsessively so in concentration
east of the Mississippi. Not my problem. It's ARRL's problem.

Maybe that's why ARRL membership remains a minority of all
licensed US radio amateurs (only a quarter).

All the ARRL "represents" is its membership...but mostly it is the
executives and staff and board of directors of the ARRL that is
represented. Membership has to fall in line with that or be
excommunicated.

To bad about your demotion in the United States Morse Codists
(USMC). You deserved it, though. Enjoy.

LHA

JJ

Oct 27, 2003, 11:38:43 PM10/27/03

Len, to kern an old phrase, "you don't know shit from Shinola". Now why
don't you go over to the cb group where you might find folks more down
on your lever?

charlesb

Oct 28, 2003, 6:13:12 AM10/28/03

> In article <rBhnb.111$UJ6.17...@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>, "charlesb"
> <n5...@sbcglobal.net> writes:
>
> >"Len Over 21" <leno...@aol.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Apparently "6-land" doesn't exist in the thinking of new englanders.
> >
> >I'm sure they are like the rest of the country... We all know that
> >California is there - but we try not to dwell on it too much.
>
> More than one tenth of ALL Americans live in California, dumbass.

Sorry, but you cannot count California's illegal immigrant population as
"Americans", though technically they are.

Moron.

Charles Brabham, N5PVL

Dan/W4NTI

Oct 28, 2003, 12:19:30 PM10/28/03

"Jack Hamilton" <j...@acm.org> wrote in message

No it is not. The major problem is the Hawaii hams want first class service
and not have to pay for it. The block is actually with the postal service
who has contracted have all bulk mail to Hawaii sent by boat.

Dan/W4NTI

Len Over 21

Oct 28, 2003, 1:27:26 PM10/28/03
In article <cbsnb.17656$bO5....@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com>, "charlesb"
<n5...@sbcglobal.net> writes:

>> More than one tenth of ALL Americans live in California, dumbass.
>
>Sorry, but you cannot count California's illegal immigrant population as
>"Americans", though technically they are.
>
>Moron.

The legal population, legal as is common to all states, of
California, is still the largest of all the states. The "illegal
immigrant" population is estimated as a bit over 4 million here.
Had I counted that (but did not), California's population would
exceed that of all of Canada.

Texas ALSO has an "illegal immigrant" population...except you
wish to hide that under a 25-gallon hat as if it doesn't exist.
[oversize hat to fit swelled heads...]

Sorry, your yellow roses are wilting and your oil well is pumping
out noxious gas.

Meanwhile, ARRL does recognize Texas as belonging to the
amateur radio union due to Jim Haynie as elected president.
The executive-president-for-life (Sumner) gets to travel to Geneva
and play bigshot with all those "we know what is best for you"
editorials in QST...while enjoying having that other callsign for
his "Residence Radio Club."

ARRL has yet to recognize a REAL emergency/disaster except
for very eastern-defined emergencies and disasters which are
presented in almost excrutiating detail for days on the "we
represent 'all' amateurs" news page. Six days, almost a week
went by since their start before ARRL recognized wildfires in
California...which have now consumed 480,000+ acres,
destroyed over 1100 homes, and killed 15 human beings.

Feel justified in practicing socio-political-geographic bigotry.
After all, U. S. amateur radio is made up largely of white
males, isn't it?

Sacred purity in all things, including beeping.

LHA

Len Over 21

Oct 28, 2003, 1:27:26 PM10/28/03
In article <8_idndo6ZqC...@gbronline.com>, JJ <radio...@mailcity.moc>
writes:

>Len, to kern an old phrase, "you don't know shit from Shinola". Now why
>don't you go over to the cb group where you might find folks more down
>on your lever?

"Kern?!?"

Who the hell are YOU, "JJ?" You one of them "knuckle-dragging
CB-plussers?"

You can REPEAT a phrase (write it verbatim) or make subtle
changes to PARAPHRASE it or you can invent a new phrase as
if to COIN it. "Kern" refers to particulars in the shape of type
fonts...you can kern a character's appearance but you CANNOT
kern a phrase.

ARRL doesn't pretend to represent any Citizens Band Radio Service
users. There's no license for CB in the USA. There has NEVER
been any test for CB ever, not once since it was created 45 years
ago. Morse code was never, ever required in USA CB...and CB
does exist IN the HF spectrum.

ARRL pretends to "represent" all radio amateurs but all it REALLY
represents is the opinion of a minority in control of a minority
membership that has not exceeded a quarter of all licensed U. S.
radio amateurs.

LHA

JJ

Oct 28, 2003, 1:53:24 PM10/28/03

I have been a ham for over 40 years, so how long have you been one?

"Kern" is the word Ed Norton use for coin in the "Honeymooners". My use
of it is just a valid as you saying "one of them" instead of "one of
those". Good grief you are dumb.

Why should the ARRL pretend to represent the CB Radio Service? It was
established to represent the Amateur operators long before CB ever came
into being. Who would want to represent the sewer pit of communication
that CB has become? Why would they want to represent a bunch of idiots
who haven't a clue as how to properly use radio communication, that
operate in a number of illegal ways and cause general havoc on the radio
spectrum. The ARRL should not touch CB with a 10 foot pole.

> Morse code was never, ever required in USA CB...and CB
> does exist IN the HF spectrum

And there are a lot of other users of the HF spectrum that do not
require knowledge of Morse code. When it comes to the code issue the
subject is Amateur radio not the chicken band. So what's you point?

So who in the hell are you? Just another knuckle dragging dumb cber I
suppose. As I said, "you don't know shit from Shinola".

Len Over 21

Oct 28, 2003, 5:02:06 PM10/28/03
In article <ntCdnfsHlvg...@gbronline.com>, JJ <radio...@mailcity.moc>
writes:

>I have been a ham for over 40 years, so how long have you been one?

I was on HF legally beginning in February 1953, a 1 KW BC-339,
one of 36 total transmitters at Army station ADA...increased to 43
by 1956. I got my first radio operator license from a single test at
an FCC field office in Chicago in March, 1956 (First Class
Radiotelephone).

I've never had, or tried to get, any amateur radio license. Mostly
because I've been a professional in radio-electronics for a half
century.

You know what? The FCC doesn't require any commissioners or
staff to have amateur radio licenses in order to MAKE regulations
concerning amateur radio. How about that!?

>"Kern" is the word Ed Norton use for coin in the "Honeymooners". My use
>of it is just a valid as you saying "one of them" instead of "one of
>those". Good grief you are dumb.

The "Honeymooners" went OFF the air long ago. Jackie Gleason
left this world a long time ago. Not everyone was a fan of a New
York based TV show on CBS during the black and white years.

DOS Tip: Not everyone speaks in New Yorkese or Jerseyish or buys
"gaz" for his auto while in Philly.

>And there are a lot of other users of the HF spectrum that do not
>require knowledge of Morse code. When it comes to the code issue the
>subject is Amateur radio not the chicken band. So what's you point?

The subject is NOT old black-and-white broadcast television, either.

>So who in the hell are you? Just another knuckle dragging dumb cber I
>suppose. As I said, "you don't know shit from Shinola".

Leonard H. Anderson

You want my mailing address? Look in the FCC ECFS for the 14
petitions for and against amateur radio code testing. You will find
my name and address and comments in there, at least two documents
per RM.

I don't work with feces and I don't make shoe polish. I'm a professional
in radio-electronics who has not hidden his identity.

YOU on the other hand, HIDE behind a couple letters and act tuff.
No USA database lists any "JJ" as the name of any licensed radio
amateur. Perhaps a foreign country might have it? :-)

Insufficient courage to reveal your identity "JJ?" Or are you going
to rationalize your gutless fear somehow?

LHA

Robert Casey

Oct 28, 2003, 5:19:48 PM10/28/03

> Why should the ARRL pretend to represent the CB Radio Service? It was
> established to represent the Amateur operators long before CB ever
> came into being. Who would want to represent the sewer pit of
> communication that CB has become? Why would they want to represent a
> bunch of idiots who haven't a clue as how to properly use radio
> communication, that operate in a number of illegal ways and cause
> general havoc on the radio spectrum. The ARRL should not touch CB with
> a 10 foot pole.

I wouldn't touch it with an 11 meter pole. :-)

>> Morse code was never, ever required in USA CB...and CB
>> does exist IN the HF spectrum

CB is not amateur, and one of the rules of the CB service is no
international comms.
Not that it's enforced......

> "you don't know shit from Shinola".

Well, you can't polish a turd...... ;-)

JJ

Oct 28, 2003, 6:14:28 PM10/28/03
Len over 21 wet his pants again and blathered:

> In article <ntCdnfsHlvg...@gbronline.com>, JJ <radio...@mailcity.moc>
> writes:
>

>>I have been a ham for over 40 years, so how long have you been one?
>

> I was on HF legally beginning in February 1953, a 1 KW BC-339,
> one of 36 total transmitters at Army station ADA...increased to 43
> by 1956. I got my first radio operator license from a single test at
> an FCC field office in Chicago in March, 1956 (First Class
> Radiotelephone).

And that has nothing to do with amateur radio. There were/are lots of
military radio operators operating military HF gear.

> I've never had, or tried to get, any amateur radio license. Mostly
> because I've been a professional in radio-electronics for a half
> century.
>
> You know what? The FCC doesn't require any commissioners or
> staff to have amateur radio licenses in order to MAKE regulations
> concerning amateur radio. How about that!?

And your point is?

>>"Kern" is the word Ed Norton use for coin in the "Honeymooners". My use
>>of it is just a valid as you saying "one of them" instead of "one of
>>those". Good grief you are dumb.
>

> The "Honeymooners" went OFF the air long ago. Jackie Gleason
> left this world a long time ago. Not everyone was a fan of a New
> York based TV show on CBS during the black and white years.
>
> DOS Tip: Not everyone speaks in New Yorkese or Jerseyish or buys
> "gaz" for his auto while in Philly.
>

>>And there are a lot of other users of the HF spectrum that do not
>>require knowledge of Morse code. When it comes to the code issue the
>>subject is Amateur radio not the chicken band. So what's you point?
>

> The subject is NOT old black-and-white broadcast television, either.
>

>>So who in the hell are you? Just another knuckle dragging dumb cber I
>>suppose. As I said, "you don't know shit from Shinola".
>

> Leonard H. Anderson
>
> You want my mailing address? Look in the FCC ECFS for the 14
> petitions for and against amateur radio code testing. You will find
> my name and address and comments in there, at least two documents
> per RM.
>
> I don't work with feces and I don't make shoe polish. I'm a professional
> in radio-electronics who has not hidden his identity.

A turd is a turd is a turd.

> YOU on the other hand, HIDE behind a couple letters and act tuff.
> No USA database lists any "JJ" as the name of any licensed radio
> amateur. Perhaps a foreign country might have it? :-)
>
> Insufficient courage to reveal your identity "JJ?" Or are you going
> to rationalize your gutless fear somehow?
>
> LHA

Since you do not hold an amateur radio operator's license nor seem to
care about ever getting one, what business is it of yours if the amateur
service has code testing or not? So what is your purpose for all the
petitions on amateur testing? You seem to think it is strange that the
FCC does not require those making rules concerning amateur radio to hold
an amateur license, yet you, without holding an amateur radio license,
can file petitons concerning amateur radio. How about that? Since you
seem to have such a hard on about the amateur radio service, of which
you are not even a member, why do you even bother? Why does it bother
you about what the ARRL is doing, or if the hams are or aren't handling
emergency comms in Calif. Perhaps you are just one of those types who
sticks your nose into things that don't concern you just to stir the
pot, or perhaps you can't pass the test for a license.

charlesb

Oct 28, 2003, 9:47:39 PM10/28/03
SB SPCL @ ARL $ARLX010
ARLX010 Amateurs Aid Agencies in California Fire Emergency

ZCZC AX10
QST de W1AW
Special Bulletin 10 ARLX010
>From ARRL Headquarters
Newington CT October 28, 2003
To all radio amateurs

SB SPCL ARL ARLX010
ARLX010 Amateurs Aid Agencies in California Fire Emergency

Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES) and Radio Amateur Civil
Emergency Service (RACES) teams are assisting local authorities and
relief organizations as fire has burned more than 500,000 acres in
southern California. Authorities report 11 separate fires have
erupted and more than a dozen people have died.

ARRL San Diego Section Manager Kent Tiburski, K6FQ, estimated that
about 100 ham ARES and RACES volunteers are participating in his
section, where most of the fatalities took place. Amateurs are
supporting the Red Cross and The Salvation Army and staffing six
shelters throughout San Diego county. Additional hams have deployed
to San Diego-area emergency management offices and hospitals.

Communication is mainly taking place on VHF. The San Diego ARES Net
has been activated on 7.233 MHz with 3.905 MHz as a backup. The
Salvation Army Team Emergency Radio Network (SATERN) also has been
using 7.233 MHz as a coordinating frequency.

San Diego-Area SATERN Coordinator Paul Cook, N6RPF, reports that
SATERN has helped with communication for a number of busy canteens
in the San Diego area.

In San Bernardino County, Orange SM Carl Gardenias, WU6D, said ARES
volunteers have been supporting emergency communication in the
county.

ARRL Los Angeles SM Phineas Icenbice, W6BF, reports ARES members
from his section have been assisting volunteers in the Orange and
San Diego Sections. Los Angeles SEC Dennis Smith, KA6GSE, says ARES
volunteers from the section also are helping at Red Cross shelters
in LA.
NNNN
/EX

Dan/W4NTI

Oct 28, 2003, 10:38:07 PM10/28/03

"JJ" <radio...@mailcity.moc> wrote in message

JJ,

In a language LHA can understand (assuming he actually was in the
military).......He is a DIPSHIT, or in Naval speak....he is a BLIVIT.

Dan/W4NTI

Dan/W4NTI

Oct 28, 2003, 10:39:36 PM10/28/03
Poor Lennie....caught in ANOTHER LIE.

Dan/W4NTI

"charlesb" <n5...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

Len Over 21

Oct 29, 2003, 1:29:51 AM10/29/03
In article <YDGnb.8311$X22....@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>, "Dan/W4NTI"

<w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com> writes:

>Poor Lennie....caught in ANOTHER LIE.
>
>Dan/W4NTI

No Dannie boy, NOT a "lie." Go back a day to message that
started this thread. ARRL had NO mention of the already-
widespread California firestorms up to 1 PM EST.

Have you learned to READ yet? Or are you still unable to
cope with reality?

LHA

Len Over 21

Oct 29, 2003, 1:29:52 AM10/29/03
In article <zCGnb.8308$X22....@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>, "Dan/W4NTI"

<w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com> writes:

>JJ,
>
>In a language LHA can understand (assuming he actually was in the
>military).......He is a DIPSHIT, or in Naval speak....he is a BLIVIT.
>
>Dan/W4NTI

Poor Dan. We still haven't found the right replacement parts to
fix his stupid.

You need confirmation of my U. S. military service, Dannie?
Contact NARA in St. Louis (National Archives and Records Agency).
It's all there. Have them search for Army serial number RA16408336
beginning March 13, 1952.

LHA

Len Over 21

Oct 29, 2003, 1:29:54 AM10/29/03
In article <vO-dnRSIRP7...@gbronline.com>, JJ <fearful anonymous
radio...@mailcity.moc> writes:

>> In article <ntCdnfsHlvg...@gbronline.com>, JJ
><radio...@mailcity.moc>
>> writes:
>>
>>>I have been a ham for over 40 years, so how long have you been one?

I don't think so. You don't identify yourself.

You could be LYING.

No identification. You could be anything...and nothing.

>> I was on HF legally beginning in February 1953, a 1 KW BC-339,
>> one of 36 total transmitters at Army station ADA...increased to 43
>> by 1956. I got my first radio operator license from a single test at
>> an FCC field office in Chicago in March, 1956 (First Class
>> Radiotelephone).
>
>And that has nothing to do with amateur radio. There were/are lots of
>military radio operators operating military HF gear.

ALL radios work by the SAME principles of physics.

Electrons, fields, and waves don't work "differently" if some
humans establish a radio service.

>> I've never had, or tried to get, any amateur radio license. Mostly
>> because I've been a professional in radio-electronics for a half
>> century.
>>
>> You know what? The FCC doesn't require any commissioners or
>> staff to have amateur radio licenses in order to MAKE regulations
>> concerning amateur radio. How about that!?
>
>And your point is?

Obvious to those who can think.

Those who REGULATE U. S. amateur radio are NOT required
to be granted any amateur radio license.

You don' tsee the point?

Pity those unable to think.

The FCC does NOT sanctify any fraternal orders/organizations.
You are acting like the U. S. ARS is a fraternal order, all
"answerable to the ARS community" and all that folderol.

ARRL is a fraternal order of sorts. ARRL does NOT regulate
U. S. amateur radio. Never did.

>Since you do not hold an amateur radio operator's license nor seem to
>care about ever getting one, what business is it of yours if the amateur
>service has code testing or not?

What "business" is it of yours, anonymous entity?

> So what is your purpose for all the
>petitions on amateur testing?

You must have been away, far away from here if you don't know.

I'm advocating the elimination of ALL morse code TESTING.

Retention of code TESTING is just a constant dumbing down to
standards and practices in all communications of seven
decades ago.

Why do you wish to keep the U. S. amateur radio service
dumbed down to ancient methods of communications?

>You seem to think it is strange that the
>FCC does not require those making rules concerning amateur radio to hold
>an amateur license, yet you, without holding an amateur radio license,
>can file petitons concerning amateur radio.

ANYONE can file a petition with the FCC if they show good
cause for a petition's existance. Whether or not such a petition
is made an "RM" and put on the public record for comment is
up to the FCC, not you, anonymous one. [FCC will not accept
anonymity[

I have NOT filed any petition. I HAVE made Comments. That is
within my rights under the United States Constitution. Ever hear
of that document? It's a pretty good document. Read it some time.

>How about that?

How about what? Are you an advocate of abrogating the First
Amendment of the United States Constitution, anonymous one?

>Since you
>seem to have such a hard on about the amateur radio service, of which
>you are not even a member, why do you even bother?

Radio has NO sexual appeal to me. Apparently it does to you.

Have you seen a mental health professional about your strange
desire?

>Why does it bother
>you about what the ARRL is doing, or if the hams are or aren't handling
>emergency comms in Calif.

ARRL is a membership organization based in the U.S. northeast.
It has a MINORITY membership among all the licensed U.S. radio
amateurs. ARRL is also a political special-interest group with a
lobbyist firm and a DC legal firm on retainer.

I accuse ARRL of favoring regional northeastern interests and being
hypocritical over their ACTUAL "representation" of amateur radio.

Why do you wish control over who can say what in the USA?

Are you in favor of dictatorship? You must be from the way you
talk-type in here.

>Perhaps you are just one of those types who
>sticks your nose into things that don't concern you just to stir the
>pot, or perhaps you can't pass the test for a license.

Perhaps you need an attitude adjustment. A SERIOUS adjustment.

I'm NOT interested in joining any Archaic Radiotelegraphy Society.

All you've done so far is to target an individual with an ateempt at
personal attack. The subject is the geographic provinchialism of
the ARRL which is a political special-interest group.

You continue to hide behind a pseudonym. Why are you afraid?

LHA

Len Over 21

Oct 29, 2003, 1:29:52 AM10/29/03
In article <fTFnb.211$GR6...@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>, "charlesb"
<n5...@sbcglobal.net> writes:

>SB SPCL @ ARL $ARLX010
>ARLX010 Amateurs Aid Agencies in California Fire Emergency
>
>ZCZC AX10
>QST de W1AW
>Special Bulletin 10 ARLX010
>>From ARRL Headquarters
>Newington CT October 28, 2003
>To all radio amateurs

That "news copy" was on the ARRL website opening page.

There is NO corroboration of that information with any other
commercial news service.

ARRL is NOT a news service despite play-acting as if they were.

If the ARRL was a news service, they would have put that
information out at least four days before the 27th of October,
AFTER the wildfires had begun and weather reports indicating
ideal wildfire conditions.

All the ARRL news seems to be AFTER-the-fact "reporting,"

LHA

charlesb

Oct 29, 2003, 8:36:13 AM10/29/03

> That "news copy" was on the ARRL website opening page.
>
> There is NO corroboration of that information with any other
> commercial news service.

Gee, what an ignorant asshole!

Charles Brabham, N5PVL

Dave Heil

Oct 29, 2003, 10:03:49 AM10/29/03
Len Over 21 wrote:

> In article <m%inb.6096$083....@news02.roc.ny>, "Jim Hampton"
> <aa...@frontiernet.net> writes:
>
> >Len should subscribe to our newspaper. Late sports info is printed *two*
> >days later. He may not understand that it takes time for information to be
> >collected and printed (even if only on the internet).
>
> Newspapers here in Southern California are printed DAILY.

What a clever idea! That's the kind of thing which, if made public,
could sweep the country.

> They
> are as up to the minute as a press run for 1.4 million copies of
> TWO daily editions of the L. A. TIMES.

Wow! Another revelation! Do you think you should be revealing this
kind of closely-held information, Len?

> Radio propagates faster than 180 thousand miles per second. So
> does light.

Those are interesting points, Len. That's why it is strange when we
have a power outage and don't receive our light at faster than 182k
miles per second, we tune our radio receivers to a local (this part of
the Ohio Valley) station and become upset that none of those stations
has a live news crew to provide updates on the power outage.

> 15 million folks out here in the southern region can
> SEE the smoke from (now) over 250,000 acres burned and burning.

Seeing smoke doesn't necessarily provide those inviduals with up to the
minute information on which specific areas have burned or whether they
or their homes might be in immediate danger.

> Telephones work here, despite the insistence of some that "telephones
> always fail during emergencies and disasters!" Communications
> satellites work fine (there's a full set of them every 3 degrees along
> the geosynchronous orbit). We have more Uplink mobile sets that
> "work" commsats in the southern part than exist in the entirety of
> most individual states.

When it is all over, it'll be interesting to see if any telephone lines,
cell towers other communications towers failed during the fire
emergency.

> There's the INTERNET whose well-distributed Backbone will defy
> destruction from a massive nuclear onslaught. One in five Americans
> has some Internet connection capability in 2002 according to the
> U. S. Census Bureau.

Of course none of this internet infrastructure is in any way tied to
telephone lines.

> ARRL has been advertising its vaunted Emergency Planning and
> Operations classes for about two years now. It's time for them
> to put their keys where their mouths were...time for the NTS to
> quit trying to play Western Union impersonator games (they were
> never very good at it).

Why not admit that you have no information on what radio amateurs, ARRL
members or not, are doing with regard to the California fires?

> It's also time that the Newington crowd recognized that MOST of
> the United States and MOST of the radio amateurs it is supposed
> to represent live WEST of the Mississippi.

Did you have a point? Do you really believe that the League's Board of
Directors have no idea of ARRL membership geographics or demographics?
Directors are elected by ARRL members in their geographic region.

> NBC evening news with Tom Brokaw featured the decade-old
> Emergency Communications Center in Los Angeles that
> coordinates the firefighting efforts. NBC didn't interview any ham
> radio "emergency groups" nor mention ham radio in any way.

Again, did you have a point?

> >I only wish that my worst problems were the ARRL and CW vs no code. LOL.
> >These guys are going to drop from coronaries or stroke long before their
> >time.
>
> Fine, then activate an Emergency Medical Team on Ham Radio to go
> rescue those guys south of Boston having all those coronaries and
> strokes. ARRL's image is more important than their substance.
>
> ARRL is the ham savior. Ham radio shall not want. Beep, beep.

Why should the ARRL bother you? You aren't a member and you have
nothing to do with amateur radio. On with your quest, Don Quixote!

Dave K8MN

Dave Heil

Oct 29, 2003, 10:07:26 AM10/29/03
Len Over 21 wrote:

> In article <c2356669.03102...@posting.google.com>, N2...@AOL.COM
> (N2EY) writes:
>
> >http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2003/10/27/2/?nc=1
> >
> >as of 1640 EST.
> >
> >Rest of Len's typical ARRL bashing snipped.
>
> Tsk, tsk, tsk. 5 1/2 days. Then, suddenly, "news" appears on
> ARRL that Something Is Happening Out West...a bit over two
> hours after I posted a No News Statement.

It is obvious that someone from HQ--probably that pesky Ed Hare--saw
your post and quickly threw something together for the ARRL web site,
just to make you look silly.

Dave K8MN

Steve Robeson, K4CAP

Oct 29, 2003, 10:17:47 AM10/29/03
leno...@aol.com (Len Over 21) wrote in message news:<20031027224111...@mb-m11.aol.com>...

> In article <m%inb.6096$083....@news02.roc.ny>, "Jim Hampton"
> <aa...@frontiernet.net> writes:
>
> >Len should subscribe to our newspaper. Late sports info is printed *two*
> >days later. He may not understand that it takes time for information to be
> >collected and printed (even if only on the internet).
>
> Newspapers here in Southern California are printed DAILY. They
> are as up to the minute as a press run for 1.4 million copies of
> TWO daily editions of the L. A. TIMES.

Amateur Radio volunteers, like hundreds of other various
volunteer groups, believe in doing it first, talking about it later.

Amateur Radio PAO folks are volunteers just like the folks who
are supporting the fire effort...Guess they just decided to prioritize
thier efforts and take care of business first.

> Radio propagates faster than 180 thousand miles per second. So
> does light. 15 million folks out here in the southern region can
> SEE the smoke from (now) over 250,000 acres burned and burning.

No doubt.

I have no sympathy for Southern Californians and thier "brush
fires" any more. I've been there...I've seen the mass butchering of
the land in order to put thousands upon thousands of cookie-cutter
homes in over-priced subdivisions, only to subsequently complain about
the overcrowding, pollution, excessive taxes, etc.

Many of these fires either occur or are exacerbated by the fact
that the natural watershed is shot and there's no natural defense
against fire.

> Telephones work here, despite the insistence of some that "telephones
> always fail during emergencies and disasters!" Communications
> satellites work fine (there's a full set of them every 3 degrees along
> the geosynchronous orbit). We have more Uplink mobile sets that
> "work" commsats in the southern part than exist in the entirety of
> most individual states.

YadaYadaYada...Usually LennieRant soup-puss rhetoric.

Thata Amateurs are called to serve in some capacity byt the
organizations HE claims doesn't need them just eats at him...

> There's the INTERNET whose well-distributed Backbone will defy
> destruction from a massive nuclear onslaught.

Thanks for that bit of inciteful silliness, Lennie. After the
nukes hit, we'll drive right in to the affected area and see how well
we can access AOL from the local "backbone".

(...sheeesh...what an idiot...)

> One in five Americans
> has some Internet connection capability in 2002 according to the
> U. S. Census Bureau.

Will they STILL have internet after the phone lines have burned
down or a nuke just levelled thier homes, Lennie?

> FEMA "field-tested" its fly-away video bulletin board systems back
> in the '94 quake to show, visually, health and welfare messages in
> their most personal and familiar form.

Gee, Lennie...That was almost 10 years ago...A whole
decade...Then WHY does FEMA and every other disaster related
organization (INCLUDING California's OES) still feel compelled to keep
MoU's current with the ARRL, and STILL ask's then to participate at
these shindigs, Lennie?

> Wire services have all kinds of data terminals and lines (most of
> which are dedicated, leased lines, not through dial-up POTS).
> Staffers and stringers at the wire news service bureaus are working
> 24/7 here as well as in the northeast.

Yep. And they are not used for the purposes Amateur Radio is
used at these incidents.

Your point?

> ARRL has been advertising its vaunted Emergency Planning and
> Operations classes for about two years now. It's time for them
> to put their keys where their mouths were...time for the NTS to
> quit trying to play Western Union impersonator games (they were
> never very good at it).

Obviously they are.

> It's also time that the Newington crowd recognized that MOST of
> the United States and MOST of the radio amateurs it is supposed
> to represent live WEST of the Mississippi.

What part of ARRL "policy" indicates they aren't?

> NBC evening news with Tom Brokaw featured the decade-old
> Emergency Communications Center in Los Angeles that
> coordinates the firefighting efforts. NBC didn't interview any ham
> radio "emergency groups" nor mention ham radio in any way.

They didn't interview YOU either, Ya Scumbag, yet here YOU are.

> >I only wish that my worst problems were the ARRL and CW vs no code. LOL.
> >These guys are going to drop from coronaries or stroke long before their
> >time.
>
> Fine, then activate an Emergency Medical Team on Ham Radio to go
> rescue those guys south of Boston having all those coronaries and
> strokes. ARRL's image is more important than their substance.
>
> ARRL is the ham savior. Ham radio shall not want. Beep, beep.
>
> LHA

Yet another LennieRant...Still as idiotic as ever...Hoping that
"the common man" will ignore the facts and lean on HIM for "the
truth"...As HE sees it, of course...

What an Idiot. What a Putz.

Steve, K4YZ

Steve Robeson, K4CAP

Oct 29, 2003, 10:19:52 AM10/29/03
leno...@aol.com (Len Over 21) wrote in message news:<20031028132726...@mb-m26.aol.com>...

> In article <cbsnb.17656$bO5....@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com>, "charlesb"
> <n5...@sbcglobal.net> writes:
>
> >> More than one tenth of ALL Americans live in California, dumbass.
> >
> >Sorry, but you cannot count California's illegal immigrant population as
> >"Americans", though technically they are.
> >
> >Moron.
>
> The legal population, legal as is common to all states, of
> California, is still the largest of all the states. The "illegal
> immigrant" population is estimated as a bit over 4 million here.
> Had I counted that (but did not), California's population would
> exceed that of all of Canada.

Most REAL Californians consider anyone not born IN California,
regardless of their United States citizenship, to be "illegal aliens".

That would be you, Lennie...

Steve, K4YZ

Dave Heil

Oct 29, 2003, 11:04:31 AM10/29/03
Len Over 21 wrote:

> In article <3F9DD665...@earthlink.net>, Dave Heil <k8...@earthlink.net>
> writes:
>
> >N2EY wrote:
> >>
> >> leno...@aol.com (Len Over 21) wrote in message
> >>
> >> http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2003/10/27/2/?nc=1
> >>
> >> as of 1640 EST.
> >
> >This leaves Len munching his brogans once again.
>
> Shut the hell up, you little USMC feldwebel. Learn to READ English.

Temper, temper, kindly old timer. What are you, some kind of CONTROL
freak?

> As of 1 PM EST on the 27th of October the ARRL website news
> page had NOTHING about the California wildfires. NOTHING.

That's right. They had NOTHING. Yet a could of hours later, they had
SOMETHING. SOMETHING.

> Go "munch" someone else's shoes, preferrably some CROW
> as dessert.

I'm not the one who took the potshot at amateur radio and the ARRL only
to have it blow up in his face.

> >> Rest of Len's typical ARRL bashing snipped.
> >
> >Hasn't Len made it clear on any number of occasions that he is not
> >anti-ARRL?
>
> ARRL is an EASTERN headquartered organization, more specifically
> in the northeastern USA.

There are many WESTERN headquartered organizations. Is it your opinion
that all organizations should be headquartered near the center of
population? If not, why the fuss?

> ARRL doesn't seem to recognize that
> MOST of the USA lives WEST of the Mississippi...including licensed
> US radio amateurs.

It doesn't seem that way to me. Directors are representative of the
areas in which they live. Why should you be concerned? You aren't
involved with the ARRL.

> I'm not "anti-ARRL."

Your frequent statements about the League would indicate otherwise.
Would you care to see a few of them googled up?

> I'm just showing what they are and what they
> are NOT. What they are NOT is NOT "representing ALL amateurs."

How are you "showing" anything? You aren't involved.

> ARRL is eastern-oriented, almost obsessively so in concentration
> east of the Mississippi. Not my problem. It's ARRL's problem.

No, your errors are your problem. You've gone from making statements
about an EASTERN headquarted organization to stating that the ARRL is
eastern-oriented. You keep trying to make an issue of something which
is not an issue.

> Maybe that's why ARRL membership remains a minority of all
> licensed US radio amateurs (only a quarter).

Only a quarter? What other amateur radio organization has more than a
fraction of that number making up its membership?

> All the ARRL "represents" is its membership...but mostly it is the
> executives and staff and board of directors of the ARRL that is
> represented.

AARP claims to represent retirees. The American Legion claims to
represent veterans. Labor unions claim to represent workers. The NAACP
claims to represent colored people.

> Membership has to fall in line with that or be
> excommunicated.

If those words came from anyone else, I'd say that they were an error.
Since they come from you, I say they're a deliberate untruth.

> To bad about your demotion in the United States Morse Codists
> (USMC). You deserved it, though. Enjoy.

Take your lithium.

Dave K8MN

Dan/W4NTI

Oct 29, 2003, 11:42:33 AM10/29/03

"Len Over 21" <leno...@aol.com> wrote in message

Poor Lennie, not only caught in a lie, but now trying to cover it up. Not
good for a Electronical Mechanic there Lennie.

Dan/W4NTI

Dan/W4NTI

Oct 29, 2003, 11:44:13 AM10/29/03

"Len Over 21" <leno...@aol.com> wrote in message

> All the ARRL news seems to be AFTER-the-fact "reporting,"
>
> LHA

Thats what makes the ARRL a legitimate news source for Amateur Radio
information. Not like CNN, which I am SURE you watch, that makes it up as
they go.

Dan/W4NTI

Dan/W4NTI

Oct 29, 2003, 11:44:48 AM10/29/03

"charlesb" <n5...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

A world class DIPSHIT.

Dan/W4NTI

Dan/W4NTI

Oct 29, 2003, 11:46:28 AM10/29/03

"Len Over 21" <leno...@aol.com> wrote in message

Why bother Lennie? You know full well they were burned up in that fire. Or
don't you?

Dan/W4NTI

Dan/W4NTI

Oct 29, 2003, 11:53:23 AM10/29/03

"Dave Heil" <k8...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Could be Dave, but I think not. Lennie does a great job of showing how
silly he is all by himself.

He must be a lonely old man. With nothing to do in life but wait around to
die. And in the meantime annoy as many folks as possible.

He obviously hates ham radio. Probably because his 'higher' in the military
was a ham and made Lennie look silly......you think so?

Dan/W4NTI

JJ

Oct 29, 2003, 1:00:03 PM10/29/03
Dave Heil wrote:

> It is obvious that someone from HQ--probably that pesky Ed Hare--saw
> your post and quickly threw something together for the ARRL web site,
> just to make you look silly.
>
> Dave K8MN

Len can look silly enough on his own without any help from the ARRL web
site.

JJ

Oct 29, 2003, 1:08:56 PM10/29/03
Dan/W4NTI wrote:

> He obviously hates ham radio. Probably because his 'higher' in the military
> was a ham and made Lennie look silly......you think so?
>
> Dan/W4NTI

More likely because he couldn't pass the test for a ham licnese.

Len Over 21

Oct 29, 2003, 4:24:20 PM10/29/03
In article <hnPnb.6660$x75....@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com>, "charlesb"
<n5...@sbcglobal.net> writes:

It's not nice to call other commercial news services "assholes."

LHA

Len Over 21

Oct 29, 2003, 4:24:17 PM10/29/03
In article <48Snb.9003$X22....@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>, "Dan/W4NTI"

<w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com> writes:

>A world class DIPSHIT.
>
>Dan/W4NTI

Don't give yourself titles...even if you deserve it.

LHA

Len Over 21

Oct 29, 2003, 4:24:19 PM10/29/03
In article <3F9FD6D4...@earthlink.net>, Dave Heil <k8...@earthlink.net>
writes:

>Why should the ARRL bother you? You aren't a member and you have

>nothing to do with amateur radio. On with your quest, Don Quixote!

Tsk, tsk, tsk, Sancho Panza sitting on his ass mouthing off
again...making the windmills turn with his remarks...

LHA

Len Over 21

Oct 29, 2003, 4:24:19 PM10/29/03
In article <3F9FD7AD...@earthlink.net>, Dave Heil <k8...@earthlink.net>
writes:

>It is obvious that someone from HQ--probably that pesky Ed Hare--saw

>your post and quickly threw something together for the ARRL web site,
>just to make you look silly.

Hardly, Sancho. Now get back on your ass and look for more
windmills.

Giddyap.

LHA

Len Over 21

Oct 29, 2003, 4:24:18 PM10/29/03
In article <x7Snb.8999$X22....@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>, "Dan/W4NTI"

<w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com> writes:

>> All the ARRL news seems to be AFTER-the-fact "reporting,"
>>
>> LHA
>
>Thats what makes the ARRL a legitimate news source for Amateur Radio
>information.

So...you are saying that ALL amateur radio information is always
late?

Whatever happened to the National Traffic System? You know,
those dittyboppers still thinking that "CW" is the bestest thing
since sliced bread?

CNN, Fox, MSNBC, CBS, NBC, ABC are covering the California
Firestorms in real time, "live" as you civilian non-broadcasters
call it. Have ANY of those TV news services "covered" anything of
amateur radio emergency/disaster teams heroically working to
aid the public? When and where did they "work" that scene?

Feel free to report all tha news in a month, long after containment.

>Not like CNN, which I am SURE you watch, that makes it up as
>they go.

17 dead, over 1500 homes destroyed, over a million acres burned
(over 800 square miles), over $2 Billion in damages, and firestorms
are still raging in two major areas. One of NBC's remote vans got
caught in the fire and destroyed, crew (Chuck Henry at the mike)
saved by a fire crew. Live, on-air courtesy of another TV crew.

Hardly "making it up as they go along."

...and all you can do is mean-mouth individuals that don't love,
honor, and cherish morsemanship?

LHA

Len Over 21

Oct 29, 2003, 4:24:16 PM10/29/03
In article <aLGdnWOP9tn...@gbronline.com>, JJ <radio...@mailcity.moc>
writes:

Yes. True. I went to the FDA and they could only certify me as
beef. :-)

I traveled 85 miles by rail to Chicago back in '56 (no snow that
March, kept my shoes on, no significant hills) and took a REAL
test ONCE. At an FCC field office in the Federal Building there.
Passed a First Phone test in one session. Only one of the four
parts of the test was multiple choice.

I'd send you a digitized image of that first First Phone license if
you had a real Internet address. But, you have no identity.

LHA

Len Over 21

Oct 29, 2003, 4:24:18 PM10/29/03
In article <Z5Snb.8994$X22....@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>, "Dan/W4NTI"

<w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com> writes:

>Poor Lennie, not only caught in a lie, but now trying to cover it up. Not
>good for a Electronical Mechanic there Lennie.

Poor Dan. Nobody can fix his stupid.

NO "cover up." ARRL was LATE AGAIN with "news."

Now cover yourself with aluminum foil so the geomagnetic storm
won't hurt you or your code key.

LHA

Len Over 21

Oct 29, 2003, 4:24:19 PM10/29/03
In article <3F9FE50E...@earthlink.net>, Dave Heil <k8...@earthlink.net>
writes:

>> To bad about your demotion in the United States Morse Codists

>> (USMC). You deserved it, though. Enjoy.
>
>Take your lithium.

Lithium Ion, sweetums. Battery. Replacement for my watch last
month. Good for another seven years.

Throw away your used-book-store "Physician's Desk Reference"
and that surplus Sharps box. You can't practice medicine with
an amateur radio license.

You can't even inject a good comment in here.

LHA

Len Over 21

Oct 29, 2003, 4:24:16 PM10/29/03
In article <E9Snb.9009$X22...@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>, "Dan/W4NTI"

<w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com> writes:

>> You need confirmation of my U. S. military service, Dannie?
>> Contact NARA in St. Louis (National Archives and Records Agency).
>> It's all there. Have them search for Army serial number RA16408336
>> beginning March 13, 1952.
>>
>> LHA
>
>Why bother Lennie? You know full well they were burned up in that fire. Or
>don't you?

Not mine. Some, yes. Never had any problems with FBI, IRS, etc.
on any government agency corroborations of past service records.

Tsk, tsk, tsk, you should read ALL the pages at NARA's website,
not just the headlines.

Give yourself another title again.

LHA

Dan/W4NTI

Oct 29, 2003, 5:35:46 PM10/29/03

"Len Over 21" <leno...@aol.com> wrote in message

Poor Poor Lennie, he is getting worse and worse. He fails to comprehend
that professional news reporters get paid, and by golly, its their job.

The ARRL is more interested in compilling the events and accuratly reporting
the information to the amateur community. Not you Lennie, since you not a
licensed operator.

And of course the ham operators are not in the news. They hardly ever are.
Real emergency operators don't seek publicity. They are there to do a job
and don't have time for talking with paid reporters. They are much too busy
trying to save lives.

As for your 'swipe' at the National Traffic System. It is fine and going
strong Lennie. I operate both SSB and CW sessions on a nightly basis. Not
to mention my Military Affiliate Radio System networks.

Tell me Lennie....what do you contribute to your community and nation?

Dan/W4NTI

Dan/W4NTI

Oct 29, 2003, 5:37:35 PM10/29/03

"Len Over 21" <leno...@aol.com> wrote in message

Poor Lennie, still not taking your meds as prescribed, eh?

Dan/W4NTI

Emmersome Bigguns

Oct 29, 2003, 8:00:22 PM10/29/03

"Len Over 21" <leno...@aol.com> wrote in message

> As of 1300 EST on 27 Oct 03, the ARRL news page has not one
> blah blah blah.......

Len, I feel sorry for you as there can be no telethon for you and people
like you.
There is just no cure for dumbass. :,-(

---

Phil Kane

Oct 29, 2003, 11:10:35 PM10/29/03
On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 18:23:43 -0500, ARRL Sucks wrote:

>The ARRL is a Yankee organization, run by Yankees
>who think the center of the universe is New England.
>
>Hams in Hawaii have been asking for years to have
>QST bulk air-mailed to Hawaii, the same as all other
>publishers do to ensure timely delivery. ARRL has
>been farting off Hawaii hams for years. Screw the
>League!

This issue has been kicking around the ARRL Pacific Division
"cabinet" for almost 15 years that I know of (I was in same until 4
years ago). The problem is that the Postal Service wants a big hunk
of money for air mail to individual subscribers - the League would
have to assess a healthy surcharge to Pacific Section members to
make up the difference. You don't want that sort of "special
treatment".

Conversely, contracting bulk-shipping and local mailing out to a
third party is not cheap either - same surcharge problem, same "you
don't want to have to pay it".

The third option that major periodicals take is to electronically
ship the copy to Honolulu and print it there. That works only
for large volume - not for the several thousand ARRL members in the
Section.

I wish there was a better solution.

The glories of living in Paradise, eh?

>Aloha

M'halo.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest
Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

N2EY

Oct 30, 2003, 6:30:07 AM10/30/03
In article <20031028170206...@mb-m06.aol.com>, leno...@aol.com
(Len Over 21) writes:

>In article <ntCdnfsHlvg...@gbronline.com>, JJ
><radio...@mailcity.moc>
>writes:
>
>>I have been a ham for over 40 years, so how long have you been one?
>
> I was on HF legally beginning in February 1953, a 1 KW BC-339,
> one of 36 total transmitters at Army station ADA...increased to 43
> by 1956.

All by yourself - or were there over 700 other personnel at that installation?

> I got my first radio operator license from a single test at
> an FCC field office in Chicago in March, 1956 (First Class
> Radiotelephone).

That's nice, Len. But it has nothing to do with amateur radio. As you say of
others "You live in the past too much"

> I've never had, or tried to get, any amateur radio license.

On January 19, 2000, you proclaimed here that you 'were going for Extra right
out of the box'. But you didn't say when, and in the ~46 months since then you
haven't done it.

> Mostly because I've been a professional in radio-electronics for a half
> century.

Then why are you so interested in amateur radio policy? Everyone is allowed to
be interested, of course, but it seems very odd that someone who has been "a
professional in radio-electronics for a half century" and who makes so many
posts to this amateur radio newsgroup would not have gotten a license and set
up an amateur station in all that time.

> You know what? The FCC doesn't require any commissioners or
> staff to have amateur radio licenses in order to MAKE regulations
> concerning amateur radio. How about that!?

You've never worked for the FCC in any capacity, Len. You've never been a
lawyer or a "regulator".

> You want my mailing address? Look in the FCC ECFS for the 14
> petitions for and against amateur radio code testing. You will find
> my name and address and comments in there, at least two documents
> per RM.

And if you try to read all of Len's verbiage, you'll need a bit of time,
because most of his 'documents' are 14 to 20 pages long. Total commentary, most
of it highly repititious, runs to several hundred pages.

Now of course anyone can flood the FCC with comments, but such wordiness is
counterproductive. Some poor soul at FCC has to read all that stuff.

> Insufficient courage to reveal your identity "JJ?" Or are you going
> to rationalize your gutless fear somehow?

Maybe sufficient sense to avoid being harassed by you, Len. Like the time you
sent me several unsolicited emails with very large attachments. Others received
the same emails. I didn't bother to waste the connection time and disk space to
download them, but others tell me that at least one of them was a picture of a
naked man - fortunately not facing the camera. You thought it was "funny".
Others did not.

Aloha

Oct 30, 2003, 8:47:13 AM10/30/03

"Phil Kane" <Phil...@nov.shmovz.ka.pop> wrote in message

Duhhhhhhh, No Shit?

Get a Life!

Aloha de Kiko

JJ

Oct 30, 2003, 12:17:46 PM10/30/03
N2EY wrote:

> On January 19, 2000, you proclaimed here that you 'were going for Extra right
> out of the box'. But you didn't say when, and in the ~46 months since then you
> haven't done it.
>

>> Mostly because I've been a professional in radio-electronics for a half
>> century.

Means he can recognize a radio when he see one 35% of the time.

> Then why are you so interested in amateur radio policy? Everyone is allowed to
> be interested, of course, but it seems very odd that someone who has been "a
> professional in radio-electronics for a half century" and who makes so many
> posts to this amateur radio newsgroup would not have gotten a license and set
> up an amateur station in all that time.

He can't pass the test.

Dennis Ferguson

Oct 30, 2003, 4:19:29 PM10/30/03
Len Over 21 <leno...@aol.com> wrote:
> It's also time that the Newington crowd recognized that MOST of
> the United States and MOST of the radio amateurs it is supposed
> to represent live WEST of the Mississippi.

?? From the FCC license data the AH0A web site finds 364,000 licensed
amateurs live east of the Mississippi and 315,000 live west of the
Mississippi (for the remaining few thousand the state apparently
couldn't be determined).

Dennis Ferguson