[K0NR] Is RG-8X the General Purpose Coaxial Cable?

K0NR via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin

Apr 29, 2023, 11:53:34 AM4/29/23

Post : Is RG-8X the General Purpose Coaxial Cable?
Author : Bob K0NR
Categories : Ham Radio

While doing a presentation about choosing the right coaxial cable, someone
suggested that RG-8X (also called "Mini 8") might be the best general-purpose
cable for amateur radio. There is a lot to like about RG-8X. It is about
1/4-inch in diameter, and is flexible and affordable. This comment made me
realize that I default to a larger cable (LMR-400 or RG-8) for everyday use
and consider RG-8X as the cable for lightweight, portable applications (such
as SOTA and POTA). But perhaps I am underestimating the capabilities of
RG-8X.

[...]