Callsign Database CD-ROM

Fred Lloyd [Phoenix SE]

Feb 5, 1993, 3:46:30 PM2/5/93

Results of Callsign Database Survey

I'm pleased to announce that Walnut Creek CD-ROM has agreed to produce
a Ham Radio and Callsign Database CD. I will be gathering the data
and acting as editor for the project.

The response from a posting I made a couple of days has been very good
with over 40 persons e-mailing me supporting the idea.

During the next couple of months I will be gathering all of the ham
radio related public domain software that I can find, looking for
frequency lists, informational articles, and other ham radio related
items to include on the disc. It will take at least two or three
months to produce the first CD due to the fact that the NTIS (National
Technical Information Service) takes at least that as to process
requests for data. Thereafter, however, we hope to produce an
updated edition every 3 months.

The price for the will be $24.95 in single units. A quarterly
subscription will be offered for $20 per disc.

Walnut Creek gives some great discounts for quantity purchases that we
as a group may be able to take advantage of. If at least 50 of us can
put together a bulk order, we should be able to make them available to
the usenet readership for about $15 per disc! The full details of such
an offer will be posted after then CD has been pressed.

In the meantime....

If anyone has any ham radio related data files, articles, frequency
lists, net schedules, whatever, then I'd like to hear from you. There
is plenty of extra space on the CD so the more material we can gather
the more exciting the end result will be.

Here are some of the things which I'll be looking to including on
the disc:

The US callsign database - indexed by callsign and by name.
Search and retrieval software for MS-DOS, UNIX, and (hopefully)
Macintosh. Software for other machines will be added if it is
contributed. Right now our biggest need is for Macintosh software,
followed by Amiga. OS/2 if we can get someone to test it.

The Canadian callsign database - (can anyone help out here?)

The complete MODS database

The KA9Q TCP/IP software

The complete dump of the SIMTEL20/HAMRADIO directory tree

The netnews rec.radio.amateur.misc FAQ list, Elmers list, etc.

As I said, there's plenty of space available so if you have something
to add to this list then please e-mail me.

Thanks to all who responded with e-mail in support of the project.
I'll continue to post status updates as things develop.

-fred

--
[ Fred Lloyd, AA7BQ Fred....@West.Sun.COM ]
[ Sun Microsystems, Southwest Area Solaris Transition Manager ]