ANTENNA LENGTH

1 view

Bill

Dec 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/20/97

Mr. Slime wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I want to know how to calculate the antenna length (well... I don't
> know how to but I have the advanced license !! That's kind of what
> we are talking about for nocode-code argument... we need more
> practical exam ;-) ).
>
> Is it wavelength (MHz) = full wave ?
> wavelength / 2 = half wave ?
> wavelength / 4 = quarter wave ?
>
> I think you had something else that you have to consider, but I can't
> remember it...
>
> Thanks.
>
> Please e-mail me at sl...@radiotelephone.net.

> Mr. Slime AKA M@S@
> Student @ McGill University Science
> Montreal, Quebec, Canada
> E-mail : sl...@radiotelephone.net.ham
> http://www.radiotelephone.net/amateur/ (Radio)
> http://www.geocities.com/~masataka/mcgill.htm (McGill University)
>
> Remove ".ham" to reply.
>
> WARNING: I will not buy/response any products from unsolicited e-mails !!

Here is a perfect example of the dumbing down of ham radio. Before the
testing was given over to the VE program, eveyone who passed the Novice
test knew how to calculate the length of a dipole antenna, and here we
have a holder of an advanced class that dosen't have a clue. Wonder why
the amateur bands are sounding more and more like 11 meters?

Mr. Slime

Dec 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/21/97

kc1di/dave

Dec 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/21/97

Mr. Slime wrote in message <349d033c...@news.total.net>...

>Hi.
>
>I want to know how to calculate the antenna length (well... I don't

(snip)

Hi,
here is a Web Page that may be of some help .
http://pw2.netcom.com/~ac6v/pageant.html

The formula for a dipole antenna-- you did not say what antenna you were
interested in -- is LENGTH IN FEET= 486/FREQ IN MHZ
thus to figure a 40 meter dipole
it would be
468/7.1 =65.9 feet
to get each side measurement now divided by 2
65.9/2= 32.45

73 dave

Reg Edwards

Dec 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/21/97

For practical puposes, the overall length of a half-wave dipole is given by
150/F metres, where F is the frequency in megahertz.

And 1 metre equals 39.37 inches.
Mr. Slime wrote

>I want to know how to calculate the antenna length ...

Steve (KF2TI - Landing, NJ)

Dec 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/21/97

In article <349d033c...@news.total.net>,
sl...@radiotelephone.net.ham says...

> Hi.
>
> I want to know how to calculate the antenna length (well... I don't
> know how to but I have the advanced license !! That's kind of what
> we are talking about for nocode-code argument... we need more
> practical exam ;-) ).
>
> Is it wavelength (MHz) = full wave ?
> wavelength / 2 = half wave ?
> wavelength / 4 = quarter wave ?
>

> I think you had something else that you have to consider, but I can't
> remember it...
>

> Thanks.
>
> Please e-mail me at sl...@radiotelephone.net.

> Mr. Slime AKA M@S@
> Student @ McGill University Science
> Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Gee, for someone who professes to know all, you really are quite thick.
I suppose you don't know how to look things up in books?? You know
books, pages made of paper, have letters printed on them...

you've made some really stupid posts before, until now, the one about
wanting to modify your radio to say hello to your police friends, but
this is now a new high in M@S@ stupidity

Since you didn't specify what type of antenna, one can only assume your
are looking for a dipole SO...

to determine the length (in feet) of a 1/2 wave dipole

divide 468/freq in MHz IE: 468/28.410 = 16'5" approx.
a 1/4 wave of that would be approx. 8' 3"

Remember slimeboy or slimeball or whatever, that this represents the
entire length of the dipole, not each leg.

--
Steve KF2TI
KF...@planet.net

Live from Panarama Land 2000

Mr. Slime

Dec 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/21/97

On Sun, 21 Dec 1997 10:44:42 -0500, kf...@planet.net (Steve (KF2TI -
Landing, NJ)) wrote:

>> Hi.
>>
>> I want to know how to calculate the antenna length (well... I don't
>> know how to but I have the advanced license !! That's kind of what
>> we are talking about for nocode-code argument... we need more
>> practical exam ;-) ).

(...)

>Since you didn't specify what type of antenna, one can only assume your
>are looking for a dipole SO...
>
>to determine the length (in feet) of a 1/2 wave dipole
>
>divide 468/freq in MHz IE: 468/28.410 = 16'5" approx.
>a 1/4 wave of that would be approx. 8' 3"
>
>Remember slimeboy or slimeball or whatever, that this represents the
>entire length of the dipole, not each leg.

I appreciate your info, but please do not follow up by adding some
irrelevant newsgroups.

Thanks

Mr. Slime AKA M@S@
Student @ McGill University Science
Montreal, Quebec, Canada

mike pfeiffer

Dec 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/21/97

If you really have an advanced licence (?) then this question should have
been on one of the exams you passed. Good Luck, Mr Slime!

jdag...@gate.net

Dec 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/21/97

On Sun, 21 Dec 1997 11:57:01 GMT, sl...@radiotelephone.net.ham (Mr.
Slime) wrote:

>Hi.
>
>I want to know how to calculate the antenna length (well... I don't
>know how to but I have the advanced license !! That's kind of what
>we are talking about for nocode-code argument... we need more
>practical exam ;-) ).
>

>Is it wavelength (MHz) = full wave ?
>wavelength / 2 = half wave ?
>wavelength / 4 = quarter wave ?

299.8 meters / Frequency in MHz will yield the length of a full wave
antenna that is infinitely thin. This is in meters. To convert
multiply the result by 100 and divide by 2.54 and that wil give you
the deminsions in inches. Divide that by 12 and you have feet. Now
to have a good start at getting a good SWR, take that length and
multiply it by .95. Younow ahve a full wave antenna.

full wave divided by 2 is a half wave
full wave divided by 4 is a quarter wave.
and so forth and so forth.

Regards
James

WA4BZJ

>I think you had something else that you have to consider, but I can't
>remember it...
>

>Thanks.
>
>Please e-mail me at sl...@radiotelephone.net.

Mr. Slime

Dec 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/21/97

On 21 Dec 1997 18:02:44 GMT, "mike pfeiffer" <k5...@vol.com> wrote:

>If you really have an advanced licence (?) then this question should have
>been on one of the exams you passed. Good Luck, Mr Slime!

I just memorized the questions and the answers when I took the exam.

I forget about everything by now.

I took 5 WPM CW and now I already forget !! Useless CW !!

WK1V

Dec 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/21/97

Mr. Slime wrote:

> On 21 Dec 1997 18:02:44 GMT, "mike pfeiffer" <k5...@vol.com> wrote:
>
> >If you really have an advanced licence (?) then this question should have
> >been on one of the exams you passed. Good Luck, Mr Slime!
>
> I just memorized the questions and the answers when I took the exam.
>
> I forget about everything by now.
>
> I took 5 WPM CW and now I already forget !! Useless CW !!

You learn in class and then you take your exams...which afterward you forget
all you were taught.....

Useless UNIVERSITY !!

j:) -=wk1v=-

Gary Coffman

Dec 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/21/97

On Sun, 21 Dec 1997 11:57:01 GMT, sl...@radiotelephone.net.ham (Mr. Slime) wrote:

>Hi.
>
>I want to know how to calculate the antenna length (well... I don't
>know how to but I have the advanced license !! That's kind of what
>we are talking about for nocode-code argument... we need more
>practical exam ;-) ).
>
>Is it wavelength (MHz) = full wave ?
>wavelength / 2 = half wave ?
>wavelength / 4 = quarter wave ?

Yeah, wavelength in meters is 300/F where F is in MHz. So if you
wanted to know the length of a full wave at 7 MHz it would be 300/7
or 42.86 meters. A halfwave would be half of that or 21.43 meters,
and a quarter wave would be one quarter of a full wave or 10.715
meters. (1 meter is 39.37 inches)

>I think you had something else that you have to consider, but I can't
>remember it...

Now a real antenna will be shorter than that because of something
called "end effect". This is a capacitive loading of the ends of the
antenna, and typically can cause the calculated length to be from
2% to 5% too long for resonance. So expect to have to prune the
antenna a bit to get it to be resonant on the design frequency.

Gary
Gary Coffman KE4ZV | You make it |mail to ke...@bellsouth.net
534 Shannon Way | We break it |
Lawrenceville, GA | Guaranteed |

Richard Carroll

Dec 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/21/97

Mr. Slime wrote:

> I just memorized the questions and the answers when I took the exam.
>
> I forget about everything by now.
>
> I took 5 WPM CW and now I already forget !! Useless CW !!

NO---Useless Mr. Slimeball

Madjid BOUKRI

Dec 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/21/97

> In article <349d033c...@news.total.net>,
> sl...@radiotelephone.net.ham says...
> > Hi.
> >
> > I want to know how to calculate the antenna length (well... I don't
> > know how to but I have the advanced license !! That's kind of what
> > we are talking about for nocode-code argument... we need more
> > practical exam ;-) ).
> >
> > Is it wavelength (MHz) = full wave ?
> > wavelength / 2 = half wave ?
> > wavelength / 4 = quarter wave ?
> >

> > I think you had something else that you have to consider, but I can't
> > remember it...

Mr "secret agent" who carries a talkie-walkie that is not really a
talkie-walkie (stupid guy boasting about his VHF as if it was a 48
caliber on his Web Page!!)

Mr Secret Agent,

I wonder how you got the advanced licence when you don't even know
the basic of the basics. Geez, I knew they were giving licences these
days to almost anyone in Canada but that is really TOO MUCH!!!!!

Since you are in Mc Gill, one of the best Engineering Universities
in Canada you should go to your very nice library and consult those
things on the shelves: they are called BOOKS. If you don't know
which book you need there is a nice lady there to help you find it.
Or you can follow one of your own links to get a card:

gopher://VM1.MCGILL.CA:70/0-BBS/CW99%3...@INF.LIBCARD

Signed:

A totally disgusted VE2GMI

PS:
I don't carry a secret talkie walkie in my pockets but I know what a
dipole is: A Nanchaku double pole used to stop stupid hams.

Ohio Mazaimas
-------------------
Madjid, VE2GMI - Home Page: http://www.CAM.ORG/~mboukri
NEC4WIN Windows Antenna Simulation Software

Gary Coffman

Dec 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/21/97

On Sun, 21 Dec 1997 14:08:00 -0500, WK1V <j...@shore.net> wrote:
>Mr. Slime wrote:
>
>> On 21 Dec 1997 18:02:44 GMT, "mike pfeiffer" <k5...@vol.com> wrote:
>>
>> >If you really have an advanced licence (?) then this question should have
>> >been on one of the exams you passed. Good Luck, Mr Slime!
>>
>> I just memorized the questions and the answers when I took the exam.
>>
>> I forget about everything by now.
>>
>> I took 5 WPM CW and now I already forget !! Useless CW !!
>
>You learn in class and then you take your exams...which afterward you forget
>all you were taught.....
>
>Useless UNIVERSITY !!

Yep, that's pretty much true. If you don't regularly use knowledge, it slips
away.

Mark S. Bond

Dec 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/21/97

In article <349C42...@no.net>, billr*@no.net wrote:

> Here is a perfect example of the dumbing down of ham radio. Before the
> testing was given over to the VE program, eveyone who passed the Novice
> test knew how to calculate the length of a dipole antenna, and here we
> have a holder of an advanced class that dosen't have a clue. Wonder why
> the amateur bands are sounding more and more like 11 meters?

Interesting observation! Maybe we should change the majority of the
message traffic here from CW is killing ham radio to VE testing is killing
ham radio. The more I think about it, I'd concur with eliminating the CW
requirement if the question pools were not published and testing was
returned to the Federal Government....
--
______________M_a_r_k___S___B_o_n_d____W_2_M_B__

Glen Quarnstrom

Dec 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/22/97

Bill <billr*@no.net> wrote:

>Mr. Slime wrote:
>>
>> Hi.
>>
>> I want to know how to calculate the antenna length (well... I don't
>> know how to but I have the advanced license !! That's kind of what
>> we are talking about for nocode-code argument... we need more
>> practical exam ;-) ).
>>
>> Is it wavelength (MHz) = full wave ?
>> wavelength / 2 = half wave ?
>> wavelength / 4 = quarter wave ?
>>
>> I think you had something else that you have to consider, but I can't
>> remember it...
>>

>> Thanks.
>>
>> Please e-mail me at sl...@radiotelephone.net.

>> Mr. Slime AKA M@S@
>> Student @ McGill University Science
>> Montreal, Quebec, Canada
>> E-mail : sl...@radiotelephone.net.ham
>> http://www.radiotelephone.net/amateur/ (Radio)
>> http://www.geocities.com/~masataka/mcgill.htm (McGill University)
>>
>> Remove ".ham" to reply.
>>
>> WARNING: I will not buy/response any products from unsolicited e-mails !!
>

>Here is a perfect example of the dumbing down of ham radio. Before the
>testing was given over to the VE program, eveyone who passed the Novice
>test knew how to calculate the length of a dipole antenna, and here we
>have a holder of an advanced class that dosen't have a clue. Wonder why
>the amateur bands are sounding more and more like 11 meters?

Somebody tested in the Good Old Days would surely have noticed that
the person with the "advanced license" was posting from Canada, which
sort of invalidates the whole argument about the US exams.

The fact that the poster is a well-known troll might influence the
discussion, as well.
--
gl...@cyberhighway.net
WB7DOW @ KB7CFD.ID.USA.NOAM

http://www.cyberhighway.net/~glenq/

DavidC

Dec 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/22/97

Gee, you'd think two neighboring coutries could get their licensing systems
in closer agreement than this! 73, DavidC AA1FA

> >Hey, there's no fish here. In Canada, we have only 2 classes of licenses
> > and cw has nothing to do with it. Our Basic is like your Tech and our
> > advanced is like your Extra. CW can be either 5 wpm or 12 wpm but
> > needed only for HF access. We also don't have band restrictions like
> > you have in the U.S. That's how we can nag interesting SSB DX
> > below 3750 khz. We can operate SSB anywhere on the bands because
> > our bandplans are only voluntary, not mandatory. Hope that helps.
> > Have a Merry Xmas. 73 de VE2CJW.

AL7DL

Dec 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/22/97

Visit the library and do some basic research on antennas! Personally, I would
be embarassed to admit that I knew nothing about calculating antenna length and
in the same post say that I am an Advanced class amateur...

Another case of Masa's trolling.

Bryce, K1GAX (ex AL7DL)

Mr. Slime

Dec 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/22/97

thanks for not helping me out.

but I thank all others who helped me out remembering... I received
some kind responses and e-mails.

I really didn't know how to calculate... well... I thoughta remembered
it, but I didn't in exact.

Morse is sometimes useless compared to other useful daily practical
operating knowledges. Knowing the morse doens't help me how to make
an antenna... but knowing the machinary nature will...

-----

Reality459

Dec 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/22/97

>thanks for not helping me out.

Good grief, Masa, the man was helping you out in pointing you to a source of
knowledge (a library). I guess one can tell Masa anything and he'll believe
it. We have a true believer.

>Morse is sometimes useless compared to other useful daily practical
>operating knowledges. Knowing the morse doens't help me how to make
>an antenna... but knowing the machinary nature will...

If your point was to continue the code/no code debate, why not stick to that
debate. Apparently from Masa's previous responses, not only is code useless,
but also the theory portion of the test is also if Masa memorizes the questions
and answers and after passing the exam promptly forgets everything. Next, Masa
will probably suggest a license application be packed in every radio box and
you sign and mail in the form to obtain your amateur license. Why bother with
an exam at all if you're going to forget everything after you take the test...

Tom Walker

Dec 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/23/97

> >If you really have an advanced licence (?) then this question should have
> >been on one of the exams you passed. Good Luck, Mr Slime!
W> >

> I just memorized the questions and the answers when I took the exam.
W> >

> I forget about everything by now.
W> >

> I took 5 WPM CW and now I already forget !! Useless CW !!
W>
W> You learn in class and then you take your exams...which afterward you forget
W> all you were taught.....

That last is a SAD indinghment of the Supposedly Exaulted Advanced and Extra
Hams. But as far as the Code goes what else do you suggest to Prevent more
takeover of the Ham Bands of he "CB MENTALITY".
I am by the way a NO Code tech Fighting with all I have to RETAIN the Code
Requirement.I also STRONGLY oppose the Lowering of the code requirement for
General Class even though I can't pass the Code test. Have tried off and on
since 1948.
--
|WarpGate: Tom Walker 52:1000/211
|Internet: Tom.W...@f211.n1000.z52.warpgate.com
| The WarpGate Network Internet Gateway El Cajon, CA.

CBRambo

Dec 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/23/97

> That last is a SAD indinghment of the Supposedly Exaulted Advanced and Extra
>
>Hams.

It's an even sadder INDICTMENT of your poor spelling skills.

"Where's that big 'ol CB RAMBO??"
"I wanna hear him TALK TOUGH!!"

Jan Allbright

Dec 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/26/97

Very odd --- my exam had that question on it...

--
Jan Allbright - "14-91" - Calhan Volunteer Fire Department
-- KC0BUY -- 146.970(-) <100hzPL> -- Colorado Springs --

Glenn Roberson

Dec 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/27/97

> Mr. Slime wrote:
> >
> > Hi.
> >
> > I want to know how to calculate the antenna length (well... I don't
> > know how to but I have the advanced license !! That's kind of what
> > we are talking about for nocode-code argument... we need more
> > practical exam ;-) ).
> >
> > Is it wavelength (MHz) = full wave ?
> > wavelength / 2 = half wave ?
> > wavelength / 4 = quarter wave ?
> >
> > I think you had something else that you have to consider, but I can't
> > remember it...
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Please e-mail me at sl...@radiotelephone.net.

The thing that amazes me is that anyone would want to demonstrate their ignorance
of such a
basic knowledge for the world to read. All Mr. Slime has to do is to go to his
(or her) local
library, obtain a copy of The Amateur Radio Handbook (it doesn't matter how old
the copy;
the formula for calculation of a dipole antenna is nearly as old as radio
itself), and look it up.
Undoubtedly, considering that Slime may not have easy access to a library, but
does obviously
have access to the Internet, there are many sites that also offer that
information. All one
needs to do is learn how to use the various search engines to get the
information. That would
surely relieve him/her of the necessity of embarrassing him/herself on a public
forum.

73 from Glenn - KG5UC

Mr. Slime

Dec 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/28/97

On Sat, 27 Dec 1997 23:24:17 -0600, Glenn Roberson
<kg...@piasanet.com> wrote:

>> > Hi.
>> >
>> > I want to know how to calculate the antenna length (well... I don't

(...)

>The thing that amazes me is that anyone would want to demonstrate their ignorance
>of such a
>basic knowledge for the world to read. All Mr. Slime has to do is to go to his
>(or her) local
>library, obtain a copy of The Amateur Radio Handbook (it doesn't matter how old
>the copy;

there isn't such a copy in the library unfortunately... that's how
bad the amateur radio stands today.

James A. Nitzberg

Dec 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/28/97

Mr. "Slime":

I've noticed that you haven't exactly gotten any ANSWERS to your question, so
I'll give you an explicit one...assuming you want to calculate length of a
resonant dipole for a specific frequency.

The formula is 468/{Frequency in Mhz}, which returns the number of feet for a
resonant dipole. For example, to have a 20 meter dipole resonate on 14.200Mhz,
the equation would be (468/14.200) = 32.96 feet.

Also, the ARRL web page www.arrl.org has a nice array of books you can buy,
some on CD-ROM which will answer this question in MUCH more detail.

Good luck on your search.

73,

Jim Nitzberg WX3B

Michael Black

Dec 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/28/97

I don't know which library Mr. Slime went to, but I doubt he looked very
far. I'm sure I saw a copy of the ARRL Handbook (admittedly an older
edition) at the Atwater Library, here in Montreal where Mr. Slime resides.

The Westmount Library had some handbooks (probably the ARRL, but
definitely the Bill Orr one) years ago, and I find it hard to believe
that they've trashed those.

I don't know about the other public libraries in the Montreal area,
since I've not visited them. But undoubtedly if they had a handbook,
one could get the information without being a member.

I find it very hard to believe that there isn't an ARRL Handbook
at one of the McGill University libraries. I've heard complaints from
someone in the electronic industry that people who have just graduated
from electronic engineering know all the theory, but lack practical
knowledge. The Handbook might help to address that problem.

There used to be an amateur radio club at McGill. It disappeared, but
I'm sure I've seen indications that a lower visibility club is in
operation there once again. That too might be a place to look for
a handbook.

The Concordia Amateur Radio Club is one of the more visible clubs in
the area. That too might be a place to look for a copy of the Handbook.

There was a hamfest here at the end of October, and I saw a number of
older editions of the Handbook for sale, and the price was right. They
were older editions, but as someone mentioned, theory and basics doesn't
change much as time goes by.

If the Arrl Handbook, or indeed any book about amateur radio, is missing
from the libraries, then maybe it's time to do something about it. While
the Handbook is predominantly about radio, it is also a good intro for
people starting in electronics. A library without a Handbook is indeed
a "sorry" library, not simply because it ignores amateur radio, but
because it may be trying to provide what people want, rather than being
a depository for information that people might need.

I hope after Mr. Slime visits some of these places I've mentioned, that
he reports back on where he found copies of the Handbook, and where he
didn't, because then we can address the problem of getting Handbooks into
the libraries that are lacking.

Michael VE2BVW

On Sun, 28 Dec 1997, it was written:

> That is a pretty "SORRY" library. Most of what is in the HANDBOOK
> is factual data.

> sl...@radiotelephone.net.ham (Mr. Slime) wrote:

> >>The thing that amazes me is that anyone would want to demonstrate their ignorance
> >>of such a
> >>basic knowledge for the world to read. All Mr. Slime has to do is to go to his
> >>(or her) local
> >>library, obtain a copy of The Amateur Radio Handbook (it doesn't matter how old
> >>the copy;
> >
> >there isn't such a copy in the library unfortunately... that's how
> >bad the amateur radio stands today.
> >

> >Mr. Slime AKA M@S@
>
> Helm...@Mindspring.com
> KG8PM

Mr. Slime

Dec 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/28/97

On Sun, 28 Dec 1997 11:46:14 -0500, Michael Black <blac...@CAM.ORG>
wrote:

>I don't know which library Mr. Slime went to, but I doubt he looked very
>far. I'm sure I saw a copy of the ARRL Handbook (admittedly an older
>edition) at the Atwater Library, here in Montreal where Mr. Slime resides.

where is atwater library ?? I go to atwater occasionally.

>I find it very hard to believe that there isn't an ARRL Handbook
>at one of the McGill University libraries. I've heard complaints from
>someone in the electronic industry that people who have just graduated
>from electronic engineering know all the theory, but lack practical
>knowledge. The Handbook might help to address that problem.

>There used to be an amateur radio club at McGill. It disappeared, but
>I'm sure I've seen indications that a lower visibility club is in
>operation there once again. That too might be a place to look for
>a handbook.

I am a president of the club. I was the one who wanted to recreate
the club. Visit http://www.vub.mcgill.ca/clubs/amateur/ It's a
club home page. I posted some posters to advertise the club
(well... I spend time and $$ to do this) and set up the meetings and
etc., but no luck. We had a few people who were interested in
getting the license, but they haven't completed the "basic" yet.
The students are typically busy and they aren't interested in studying
and learning and challenging something when other ways of methods are
available to you (communication).

By the way, I created a basic study guide for those who wish to obtain
canadian amateur basic license
(http://www.radiotelephone.net/amateur/study.pdf).
I see at least 10 downloadings occur each day, but I haven't received
"any" payments yet. I realize that many people are ignorant, and
that's the real problem for the ham community today. We are too
ignorant.

>I hope after Mr. Slime visits some of these places I've mentioned, that
>he reports back on where he found copies of the Handbook, and where he
>didn't, because then we can address the problem of getting Handbooks into
>the libraries that are lacking.
>
> Michael VE2BVW

I set up the 80m antenna. If you are free sometime, let me know.
I would like to have an experiment.

Outside signals and my signals are blocked for all directions except
from/to the East. All other directions come/have to go through 10s
of concrete walls.

Laura Halliday

Dec 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/28/97

James A. Nitzberg wrote:

> Mr. "Slime":
>
> I've noticed that you haven't exactly gotten any ANSWERS to
> your question, so I'll give you an explicit one...

The key is that a dipole is a little bit shorter than a
free-space half wavelength. In practice, you always cut
the dipole a little longer than the calculated length and
prune it for desired resonance.

"Feet"? I measure my antennas in meters. Doesn't everybody?

...laura, perplexed

Tim Hynde

Dec 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/28/97

Mr. Slime wrote:

> By the way, I created a basic study guide for those who wish to obtain
> canadian amateur basic license
> (http://www.radiotelephone.net/amateur/study.pdf).
> I see at least 10 downloadings occur each day, but I haven't received
> "any" payments yet. I realize that many people are ignorant, and
> that's the real problem for the ham community today. We are too
> ignorant.

Speak for yourself M@s@. Most of your posts certainly are ignorant however you
are certainly no representative of the ham community.M@s@, if you put the same
effort into this "study guide" as you do your posts to this newsgroup it should
be clear why you have not recieved any "payments" yet. Additionally there are
plenty of clubs that offer free Elmering services, why would someone send you
money? Now that, would truly be ignorant.

Tim

Tim Hynde

Dec 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/28/97

Mr. Slime wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Dec 1997 16:22:38 -0500, Tim Hynde <hy...@flash.net> wrote:
>

> >Speak for yourself M@s@. Most of your posts certainly are ignorant however you
> >are certainly no representative of the ham community.M@s@, if you put the same
> >effort into this "study guide" as you do your posts to this newsgroup it should
> >be clear why you have not recieved any "payments" yet.
>

> please tell me what's wrong with my posts in the newsgroups. I postthe
> appropriate articles into the appropriate newsgroups.

Glad you asked... many of your posts are very close to unreadable. I realize that
English is not your native tounge, which I certainly take into consideration. Even
considering that, many of your posts contain arguments that have little or no
connection to the thread, you contradict yourself in almost every other post.
Another example is below, you seem to be confused why people are looking at what you
have to offer yet not buying it or supporting it with donations. What does this mean
to you m@s@? Lets think about it, people look at what you have to offer, yet they
don't buy, hmmm.

Did you consider perhaps that what they saw was not appealing to them? Furthermore,
many of you posts are so outrageous that it makes your readers think your either a
troll or completly brain dead. For example your posts about wanting to talk to the
local police on their frequency to "help them" or "thank them" for doing such a nice
job. Are you so stupid that this does not sound completly ignorant? With your
knowlege of radio, certainly you know this is not only illegal but could, in certain
circumstances, land your dumb ass in jail. Yet you continue with the same kinds of
stupid remarks and questions, then you ask "whats wrong with my posts" well there
you have it. Can you understand what I have written to you today m@s@?

> > Additionally there are
> >plenty of clubs that offer free Elmering services, why would someone send you
> >money? Now that, would truly be ignorant.
>
> >Tim
>

> what I don't understand is that I see many accesses to my study guide.
>
> If no one likes and trusts me, then why do I see so many accesses to
> it ??

Please explain what people 'trusting you' and 'liking you' have to do with accessing
you web site? I have visited many web pages of people who I think are complete
idiots. If you think because someone visits your web site they like you, or trust
you, then you need to take an elective in sociology, if your trying to sell
something over the net a few marketing classes might not hurt either.Tim

Mr. Slime

Dec 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/29/97

On Sun, 28 Dec 1997 16:22:38 -0500, Tim Hynde <hy...@flash.net> wrote:

>Mr. Slime wrote:
>
>> By the way, I created a basic study guide for those who wish to obtain
>> canadian amateur basic license
>> (http://www.radiotelephone.net/amateur/study.pdf).
>> I see at least 10 downloadings occur each day, but I haven't received
>> "any" payments yet. I realize that many people are ignorant, and
>> that's the real problem for the ham community today. We are too
>> ignorant.

>Speak for yourself M@s@. Most of your posts certainly are ignorant however you
>are certainly no representative of the ham community.M@s@, if you put the same
>effort into this "study guide" as you do your posts to this newsgroup it should
>be clear why you have not recieved any "payments" yet.

please tell me what's wrong with my posts in the newsgroups. I post

the appropriate articles into the appropriate newsgroups.

> Additionally there are
>plenty of clubs that offer free Elmering services, why would someone send you
>money? Now that, would truly be ignorant.

>Tim

what I don't understand is that I see many accesses to my study guide.

If no one likes and trusts me, then why do I see so many accesses to
it ??

jdag...@gate.net

Dec 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/29/97

On 28 Dec 1997 16:46:19 GMT, ni...@clark.net (James A. Nitzberg) wrote:

>Mr. "Slime":
>
>I've noticed that you haven't exactly gotten any ANSWERS to your question, so

>I'll give you an explicit one...assuming you want to calculate length of a
>resonant dipole for a specific frequency.
>
>The formula is 468/{Frequency in Mhz}, which returns the number of feet for a
>resonant dipole. For example, to have a 20 meter dipole resonate on 14.200Mhz,
>the equation would be (468/14.200) = 32.96 feet.
>
>Also, the ARRL web page www.arrl.org has a nice array of books you can buy,
>some on CD-ROM which will answer this question in MUCH more detail.
>
>Good luck on your search.
>
>73,
>
>Jim Nitzberg WX3B

I answered his question a week ago. Everyone else is more interested
in flaming him than answering his question.

Regards

James

WA4BZJ

or...@xyznycap.rr.com

Dec 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/29/97

wrote:

>I hope after Mr. Slime visits some of these places I've mentioned, that
>he reports back on where he found copies of the Handbook, and where he
>didn't, because then we can address the problem of getting Handbooks into
>the libraries that are lacking.
>
> Michael VE2BVW

"Mr. Slime, Masa, Cutie Boy, Trouble Maker", or whatever he's calling
himself this week couldn't find the Handbook if he fell over it. For
someone supposedly in college, he's as ignorant as dirt.

--
Larry Gamache N2YMJ

To reply, delete the
xyz from my address.

Curtis M LaFon

Dec 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/29/97

James A. Nitzberg wrote:

> Mr. "Slime":
>
> I've noticed that you haven't exactly gotten any ANSWERS to your question, so
> I'll give you an explicit one...assuming you want to calculate length of a
> resonant dipole for a specific frequency.
>
> The formula is 468/{Frequency in Mhz}, which returns the number of feet for a
> resonant dipole. For example, to have a 20 meter dipole resonate on 14.200Mhz,
> the equation would be (468/14.200) = 32.96 feet.
>
> Also, the ARRL web page www.arrl.org has a nice array of books you can buy,
> some on CD-ROM which will answer this question in MUCH more detail.
>
> Good luck on your search.
>
> 73,
>
> Jim Nitzberg WX3B

Why buy a book for antenna length ?

There is a down loadable program at my web site which will calculate,
and show a crude picture of, the basic wire antennas plus a couple of
not so basic ones and shows the formula.

It also calculates placement and length of a 1/4 wave matching stub,
plus a couple of other things.

Curtis .. N5HDQ .. http://wf.quik.com/n5hdq

ve7oso

Dec 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/29/97

Laura Halliday wrote:

> James A. Nitzberg wrote:
> >
> > Mr. "Slime":
> >
> > I've noticed that you haven't exactly gotten any ANSWERS to
> > your question, so I'll give you an explicit one...
>
> The key is that a dipole is a little bit shorter than a
> free-space half wavelength. In practice, you always cut
> the dipole a little longer than the calculated length and
> prune it for desired resonance.
>
> "Feet"? I measure my antennas in meters. Doesn't everybody?
>
> ...laura, perplexed
No

Mr. Slime

Dec 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/30/97

On Sun, 28 Dec 1997 21:17:13 -0500, Tim Hynde <hy...@flash.net> wrote:

>Mr. Slime wrote:

>> On Sun, 28 Dec 1997 16:22:38 -0500, Tim Hynde <hy...@flash.net> wrote:

>> >Speak for yourself M@s@. Most of your posts certainly are ignorant however you
>> >are certainly no representative of the ham community.M@s@, if you put the same
>> >effort into this "study guide" as you do your posts to this newsgroup it should
>> >be clear why you have not recieved any "payments" yet.
>>
>> please tell me what's wrong with my posts in the newsgroups. I postthe
>> appropriate articles into the appropriate newsgroups.

>Glad you asked... many of your posts are very close to unreadable.

> I realize that
>English is not your native tounge,

which is majority of people who live on the earth I guess.

> which I certainly take into consideration.

and this is a typical American thinking isn't it ??

>Another example is below, you seem to be confused why people are looking at what you
>have to offer yet not buying it or supporting it with donations.

> What does this mean
>to you m@s@?

> Lets think about it, people look at what you have to offer, yet they
>don't buy, hmmm.

they use it and they don't buy. it happens everywhere... including
sharewares and such. if you get a full version free, why do you give
a donation ?? that's why many restrict the use. when I write my
advanced study guide for Canadian amateurs (sometime soon... by the
end of next summer), I must restrict the use (maybe I can give out
first one or two pages ,out of 20 say, free) because of it. I didn't
like the idea of it, but I will have to do it next time
unfortunately...

>Did you consider perhaps that what they saw was not appealing to them?

> Furthermore,
>many of you posts are so outrageous that it makes your readers think your either a
>troll or completly brain dead.

> For example your posts about wanting to talk to the
>local police on their frequency to "help them" or "thank them" for doing such a nice
>job. Are you so stupid that this does not sound completly ignorant? With your
>knowlege of radio, certainly you know this is not only illegal but could, in certain
>circumstances, land your dumb ass in jail. Yet you continue with the same kinds of
>stupid remarks and questions, then you ask "whats wrong with my posts" well there
>you have it.

> Can you understand what I have written to you today m@s@?

I was very happy when some kind people helped me about antenna length
and such. When that happens, I always try to find out some other
articles that I can help with. It was unfortunate that majority of
articles were framing and complaining about my post [antenna length]
which didn't give me any positive.

Most of the articles in the newsgroups here, in general, are
unforunately don't do any good to the people out there. I may be
the one [articles], but I am trying to change it. This time, please
change your attitude.

David Piper

Dec 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/30/97

jdag...@gate.net wrote:

> On 28 Dec 1997 16:46:19 GMT, ni...@clark.net (James A. Nitzberg) wrote:
>

> >Mr. "Slime":
> >
> >I've noticed that you haven't exactly gotten any ANSWERS to your question, so
> >I'll give you an explicit one...assuming you want to calculate length of a
> >resonant dipole for a specific frequency.
> >
> >The formula is 468/{Frequency in Mhz}, which returns the number of feet for a
> >resonant dipole. For example, to have a 20 meter dipole resonate on 14.200Mhz,
> >the equation would be (468/14.200) = 32.96 feet.
> >
> >Also, the ARRL web page www.arrl.org has a nice array of books you can buy,
> >some on CD-ROM which will answer this question in MUCH more detail.
> >
> >Good luck on your search.
> >
> >73,
> >
> >Jim Nitzberg WX3B
> >

> I answered his question a week ago. Everyone else is more interested
> in flaming him than answering his question.
>
> Regards
>
> James
>
> WA4BZJ

I've found that use of insulated wire will shorten the wire and reduce
the bandwidth, especially in loop antennas due to the capacitive loading
contributing to the dielectric of the insulation.

TurboDave
AG8Z

CW

Jan 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/1/98

I know I would'nt buy anything Mr. Slime,especially something I was
expecting to learn something from.

Mr. Slime <sl...@radiotelephone.net.ham> wrote in article
<34a8e91d...@news.total.net>...

Cutie Boy

Jan 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/1/98

On Thu, 01 Jan 1998 07:58:32 GMT, "CW" <c...@mci2000.com> wrote:

>I know I would'nt buy anything Mr. Slime,especially something I was
>expecting to learn something from.

then please do not download my stuffs in the first place.

Garçon Mignon (également connu comme M@S@)
Indicatif d'appel de radioamateur: VA2QRU & VE7JPN
Étudient @ Informatique et Mathématiques d'Université McGill
Montréal, Québec, Canada
http://www.radiotelephone.net/amateur/ (Radio)
http://www.geocities.com/~masataka/mcgill.htm (Université McGill)
***Enlevez l' " .ham " pour répondre.***
***Please remove "ham" to reply.***

ATTENTION: Je n'achèterai pas ou réponse aucun produit des CÉS non sollicités!!

larry

Jan 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/3/98

Dear Mr. Slime
Try http://www.crompton.com/wa3dsp/hamradio/antcalc.html
Larry

<kg...@piasanet.com> wrote:

>> Mr. Slime wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi.
>> >
>> > I want to know how to calculate the antenna length (well... I don't

>> > know how to but I have the advanced license !! That's kind of what
>> > we are talking about for nocode-code argument... we need more
>> > practical exam ;-) ).
>> >
>> > Is it wavelength (MHz) = full wave ?
>> > wavelength / 2 = half wave ?
>> > wavelength / 4 = quarter wave ?
>> >
>> > I think you had something else that you have to consider, but I can't
>> > remember it...
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > Please e-mail me at sl...@radiotelephone.net.
>> >

>The thing that amazes me is that anyone would want to demonstrate their ignorance
>of such a
>basic knowledge for the world to read. All Mr. Slime has to do is to go to his
>(or her) local
>library, obtain a copy of The Amateur Radio Handbook (it doesn't matter how old
>the copy;

Madjid BOUKRI

Jan 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/15/98

Cutie Boy wrote:
> Garçon Mignon (également connu comme M@S@)
> Indicatif d'appel de radioamateur: VA2QRU & VE7JPN
> Étudient @ Informatique et Mathématiques d'Université McGill
> Montréal, Québec, Canada
> http://www.radiotelephone.net/amateur/ (Radio)
> http://www.geocities.com/~masataka/mcgill.htm (Université McGill)
> ***Enlevez l' " .ham " pour répondre.***
> ***Please remove "ham" to reply.***
>
> ATTENTION: Je n'achèterai pas ou réponse aucun produit des CÉS non sollicités!!

Et même pas foutu d'écrire du Français correct en plus.
Madjid BOUKRI, VE2GMI - http://www.CAM.ORG/~mboukri
NEC4WIN & NEC4WIN95 Antenna Simulation Software