eHam.net News for Saturday 4 July 2015

eHam.net via rec.radio.info Admin

Jul 4, 2015, 6:52:56 PM7/4/15
eHam.net News

Inexpensive Digital Ham Radio Using ISM ICs:

http://www.eham.net/articles/34933

If you'd like to get started with digital ham radio, but the cost of a
D-STAR or other digital rig has stopped you, take a look at:

VIZKEY is Back:

http://www.eham.net/articles/34932

After a lot of deliberation I have found
someone who I know will uphold the high
product quality and customer service I tried
to maintain during the 9 years I made
VIZKEYS. I have found this quality in Curtis
Nixon / KU8L. I know you will give him your
support and business in the coming years.
Thank you for all the nice reviews and word-
of-mouth advertising you gave to me over the
years.

Amateur Radio Operators Show Off their Talents During Field Day Event:

http://www.eham.net/articles/34929

It was one year ago Hurricane Arthur had the sites set on eastern Carolina.
At this time of the year, these storms are always a major concern for us.
Sometimes, they can disrupt communications and halt the flow of
information. On June 27, Amateur Radio Clubs and operators were conducting
Field Day events To hear them, you may think they were talking in code.
Those Field Day events were held all across the nation and in Canada. Local
events were set up at open locations, so radio operators and the public
could see how amateur radio helps, in keeping the lines of communications
open. During the 24 hours of the Field Day event, we heard other operators
checking in from Maryland, Georgia, Tennessee and all across North
Carolina. We even heard a few from Cuba. I was at the Onslow County site,
where board member Tim Mahlow said, "If cell phones are down, if telephones
are down and if county radios are down, we can still provide emergency
communications through-out the county." When these serious storms hit or a
natural disaster strikes, Michael Pratt said "We set up at the shelters in
the county and have a connect between all of the shelters and the counties
command center." As far as helping track storms, Mahlow said "Most of the
radio operators in our club, are also members of the SkyWarned through the
National Weather Service and licensed and trained to provide weather
observations for the National Weather Service in Newport, North Carolina."
Sometimes a severe weather event can take away electricity. These radios
can stay on the air with batteries. Those batteries can be kept charged
with something we see after the storm has gone. Sunshine hitting solar
panels and keeping the line of communication open.

Otis Gardner: Remembering the Ham Radio Days:

http://www.eham.net/articles/34928

Last week a headline of a newspaper article pulled the cover off a pile of
old memories making me smile. The story revolved around "ham radio" which
is condensation of "amateur radio."
Like most military families, we benefited from contacts with ham operators.
Mom and I regularly used their services when Dad was overseas. Ham
operators around the world provided links allowing servicemen to make calls
home without suffering impossible overseas telephone rates. Dad would
contact a ham station closest to where he was and that operator would
hop-scotch connections around the globe to a ham reasonably close to us.
That broadcaster would put through a collect call and the Gardner family
would get to talk back and forth. Today in light of the Internet,
satellites, Skype and cellular the process seems almost medieval but
progress has marched forward without halt. I remember making my first long
distance phone call without using a human operator, calling from
Tallahassee using a "direct dial" system. I entered my phone number with
area code and then immediately entered our Havelock phone number with area
code.

Solar Storms Hit Earth, Causes Aurora Borealis Anomaly - Experts Concerned:

http://www.eham.net/articles/34927

In recent weeks, immense solar storms have affected the planet Earth. Some
of them pushed the Aurora Borealis south, thereby lighting up North
American skies. The Space Weather Prediction Center of the National Oceanic
and Atmospheric Administration attributed the event to a CME or coronal
mass ejection that sent massive waves of solar atmospheric materials toward
the Earth. "This event is expected to be weaker than the severe geomagnetic
storm from earlier in the week," said a representative of the SWPC in an
interview with CBS. The representative was referring to the third solar
storm that hit the Earth from June 27 to 28. The SWPC released an
assessment last June 28 after the storm hit the planet. "A CME associated
with the R2 (Moderate) Radio Blackout on 25 June glanced past the Earth
early on 27 June, but did not cause geomagnetic storms as forecasters had
predicted. The sunspot region that produced the event, NOAA AR 12371, is
beginning to transit the west limb and forecasters are expecting low solar
activity for the upcoming week," the assessment on the SWPC website said.
Earlier last June, two coronal mass ejections hit the Earth and caused the
massive Aurora Borealis anomaly. The first took place last June 20 and the
second, last June 22. Sightings of the Northern lights came in from
Minnesota, South Dakota, West Virginia, Virginia, Wyoming and New
Hampshire. In a 2012 interview with Big Think, Michio Kaku, theoretical
physicist best known for his involvement in the String Theory, explained
how CMEs happen and how solar storms could gravely affect an electronic
civilization, such as the one we have today. He said: "In 1859, at the
famous Carrington event, some place fires got started because telegraph
wires were overloaded." "Society as we know it would be thrown back perhaps
100 years into the past," Kaku concluded after hypothesizing that if the
same Carrington event happened today, satellites, power stations and all
electronic devices would be wiped out.