Ionosphere, Eclipse, HAMSci, Ham Radio

1 view

ARRL Members Only Web site

Feb 26, 2023, 9:46:22 PM2/26/23
I've seen two total solar eclipses in my life. They are amazing events.
I can't express the awe I felt when the world went dark, and this
amazing halo of light appeared in the sky. As hams, we have another way
to enjoy an eclipse event and to help science at the same time.

As you know, the ionosphere is the reason that we can talk around the
world on HF radio. It has been the goal of scientists and engineers to
understand how the ionosphere works, to model it, and to predict how it
will respond to the stream of energized particles from the sun. You and
I have a chance to help in that effort.

NASA is requesting our assistance in probing the ionosphere during two
upcoming solar eclipses -- October 14, 2023, and April 8, 2024. And we
can do it just by talking on our radios -- even if that "talking" is via
digital modes. You can learn more in an article on the NASA website:
"Ham Radio Operators, We Need Your Help During Solar Eclipses!" The
link is:

http://bit.ly/3EILsyX

Additional information is at the HamSCI website. The link for their
page "HamSCI Festivals of eclipse ionospheric science" is:

https://hamsci.org/eclipse

I hope all of you survived our winter easily. Despite last week's snow
here in Lincoln, it's nice having some warmer temperatures this
weekend.

73, Art K0AIZ

ARRL Midwest Division
Director: Arthur I Zygielbaum, K0AIZ