[Reddit] Keysight: The fastest signal I've ever seen #shorts - YouTube

1 view

Reddit via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin

Jul 2, 2022, 9:16:00 AM7/2/22

Amateur/Ham Radio

Keysight: The fastest signal I've ever seen #shorts - YouTube

https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/vph8vn/keysight_the_fastest_signal_ive_ever_seen_shorts/

submitted by /u/vk6flab
[link] [comments]

Radio install in a Tesla Model S

https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/vpd0hj/radio_install_in_a_tesla_model_s/

I tried my Tesla group but apparently, none of them are hams, and this may
be a long shot as well, but has anyone here installed a mobile rig in the
new Tesla Model S? There is a guy on youtube that has done it in a Model 3,
but I could not find anything on the new Model S.
I just purchased the Anytone D578 Triband and none of the local shops are
really willing to "give it a try".

Thanks submitted by /u/MD500_Pilot
[link] [comments]

Potentially dumb cw/Morse question.

https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/vpd7cm/potentially_dumb_cwmorse_question/

Im a Canadian amateur and Ill be operating portable in a different province
(Ontario) for a few weeks. How do I send the slash-3 after my callsign in
CW. I know the double dash (dahdididhadit); do I use that for the slash or
something else?
Edit: thank you all. Your responses made me realize I was somehow
conflating dahdidididah (BT) and dahdididahdit (DN). 🤦‍♂️ submitted by
/u/Ironring1
[link] [comments]

Need Help With Yaesu FT70D

https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/vpjfrg/need_help_with_yaesu_ft70d/

I need help with the Yaesu FT 70D.
I got the radio stuck in the mode where Im only picking up repeater
stations.
How do I switch my radio to Wires X?
How do I switch back and forth?
I was stuck in Wires X mode and I got it out but now I am stuck in repeater
mode where I am just picking up local stations.
Ill give positive rep points to those who help me. If anyone is willing to
explain more about the radio, I would be so grateful. Thanks! submitted
by /u/EnergyLantern
[link] [comments]

FT-891 - OmniRig can read freq but not change freq. Any suggestions?

https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/vpcnxf/ft891_omnirig_can_read_freq_but_not_change_freq/

FT-891 connected to my laptop via USB cable. Latest version of OmniRig and
latest version of CW Skimmer. Ive set OmniRig to use the Enhanced COM port
that pops up. I can read the frequency the radio is on just fine. It
updates on CW Skimmer (which uses OmniRig) as I spin the dial I can NOT
change the freq on the radio by using CW Skimmer/OmniRig. The software
showed my intended change but then immediately jumps back to what the radio
is set at. Fresh driver installation from the Yaesu website. Other software
that doesnt use OmniRig can change the freq just fine (DXLab Commander, for
example). Ive tried running as Administrator with no change.
I have this working on a FT-991a, no problem. Any idea what Im missing
here? Thanks for looking! submitted by /u/HerpieMcDerpie
[link] [comments]

Fixing my cheap power supply??

https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/vpgsud/fixing_my_cheap_power_supply/

I have this power supply that I use to power my Yeasu 2900 in the garage. I
also use it at my test bench to make sure my meter is reading against a
known good source and sometimes use the front take-offs for testing various
components...mostly motorcycle/automotive relays and bulbs.
However, last time I fired it up, it only output 2 volts. No matter if its
set to fixed voltage or where you turn the adjustment knob, always 2 volts.
Im not an electronics expert, but do know how to use a multi-meter and I
can solder. Is this thing worth cracking open and trying to fix? If so is
there anything specific I might be looking for such as a blown capacitor
that would cause it to output just 2 volts?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L2M2Y5O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
submitted
by /u/Macro_Aggressor
[link] [comments]

"Earth Station In Motion"

https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/vpfyry/earth_station_in_motion/

I just read about how SpaceX has secured "Earth Station in Motion"
authorization for Starlink,
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2022/07/spacex-gets-fcc-approval-for-starlink-on-moving-vehicles-ships-and-aircraft/
Amateur Radio in the US has "Earth Station" and "Space Station." The
thought of mobile Earth Stations being its own category never occurred to
me... Is it illegal? submitted by /u/KD7TKJ
[link] [comments]

[OC] Defining a standard on Contest Scoring

https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/vpfrtv/oc_defining_a_standard_on_contest_scoring/

Not a weekend goes by without an amateur radio contest or six, each with
its own objectives, audience, times, rules, exchanges and scores. When you
get bitten by the contesting bug, youll quickly graduate from using pen and
paper to keyboard and screen. That process comes with the inevitable
selection of software suitable to both run on your shack computer and log
your particular contest since as youll discover, not all software knows
about all contests or runs on every computer.
When you eventually do arrive at a working solution, youll reap the rewards
of using technology. Contesting software can help in many different ways.
From logging your operating frequency and mode to tracking where other
stations are active and it doesnt stop there. Type in a partial callsign
and your software can suggest which ones it might be. Log a contact and
youll see if your contact is valid within the rules or not. Software can
track your activity level and warn if youre exceeding any contest time
limits. It can keep track of multipliers and the impact on your total score
and at the end of a contest, contesting software can help with submitting
your log.
After youve done this for a while, youll notice that contest rules and
scoring change over time. That brings with it the possibility of your
software using old and invalid rules for validation, scoring and other
contesting requirements.
In most cases, software is updated manually by the author to implement the
latest rules. This means that authors are required to keep up to date with
the rules for all of the contests that their software supports, let alone
add new contests.
There are a few applications that support the idea of a contest definition
which suggests the ability for anyone to define contesting rules to use
them within the application. Unfortunately their functionality is strictly
limited and they are not sufficient to define every contest rule that is in
use today. Sadly, flexible as they might seem, theyre neither universal nor
compatible with each other. One definition, written by one amateur, for one
application, cannot be used anywhere else, never mind trying to determine
what the latest version is.
I strongly believe that we need a shared open standard that can serve
contest organisers, contest software developers and contest participants.
Before I elaborate, I will be explicit in pointing out that the intent is
to standardise in a way that makes it possible to document all past,
current and future contests and in doing so, provide a collaborative way to
share contesting rules between organisers, software developers and
contesters, not to mention awards committees and amateur associations.
So, if such a contest rule standard were to exist, what would it look like?
Until now, the approach has been to create a list of keywords and values
that deal with particular types of rules, things like band start and stop,
zone score, valid prefixes, power level, exchange, etc. The result is a
growing but always incomplete list of keywords with no means to define any
logic. At the moment, all the contesting applications manage any scoring
logic internally, requiring that its updated when any of the rules change.
Not only that, the contest organiser has no insight into the mechanism and
no means to validate the process.
As a contest organiser, scoring hundreds if not thousands of logs is a
whole different challenge. Many contests do this manually, rely on someone
elses software, or if the contest is popular enough, write their own code
to manage the process.
All this effort creates a disconnect between the contester, the organiser
and the contest software developers, each using their own definition of the
rules of any particular contest.
A different approach might be to implement specific rules in a universal
programming language like say JavaScript, and use those to manage the
scoring and validation logic specific to each contest.
For example, you might define a function that returns the starting and
ending time for a contest which gives you a mechanism to detect if the
contest is happening right now. A contester could use it to determine when
the contest starts and ends, but the same definition could be used by the
organiser to determine if a submitted log entry is for a valid time.
Another might be a function that uses a callsign to determine if it
attracts points or not and if it does, how many. Contesting software might
use it to change the colour of the screen to indicate an invalid entry, but
an organiser might use it to exclude a contact from a log.
You could have a function to determine if the exchange is valid, or what
the next exchange number is, or if the frequency on which the radio is
currently tuned to is allowed for a contest.
You could combine some of these simple rules to determine, for example, if
the frequency the radio is on is the same or different since the last
contact and if thats permitted or not within the rules.
As long as the framework in which this standard is defined is extensible,
any contest could be defined in this way.
If its written well, contest organisers might be able to write their own
rules using this standard and everyone can use the same rules for their own
needs.
You might recall that Ive spoken about aspects of this problem before and
at the time I suggested that an amateur radio standards body would be
helpful. Failing that theres nothing stopping a few people collaborating in
a discussion about how this might be implemented.
As an IT professional outside my shack I have some ideas on whats needed
and what could give the whole amateur community something useful, but
unsurprisingly, I dont know everything. Working together as contesters we
might come up with a better result. As a starting point, Ive created a
repository on GitHub called "amateur-contesting-standard" to start a
conversation about this scheme and I would love to read your thoughts and
see your ideas on how this might be achieved.
If youd like to get in touch, send an email to c...@vk6flab.com or find my
callsign on Twitter and GitHub.
Im Onno VK6FLAB
TL;DR This is the transcript of the weekly Foundations of Amateur Radio
podcast - for other episodes, see http://vk6flab.com/ submitted by
/u/vk6flab
[link] [comments]