[SSDN] Flip-up Workbench Build -- Possible Application for Our Test Gear

SSDN via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin

Jun 28, 2022, 8:39:49 PM6/28/22

SolderSmoke Daily News

Flip-up Workbench Build -- Possible Application for Our Test Gear

http://soldersmoke.blogspot.com/2022/06/flip-up-workbench-build-possible.html

Interesting workbench build. While his tools were all for woodworking,
this got me wondering about using this technique to store bigger pieces of
electronic test gear that are not in use every day.

Pete N6QW's Hybrid Wireless Set -- A Thing of Beauty, with Thermatrons

http://soldersmoke.blogspot.com/2022/06/pete-n6qws-hybrid-wireless-set-think-of.html

Pete Juliano is amazing. He is admirably carrying a very heavy load of
family responsibilities. But he still can build some really unique and
innovative rigs. He tells us that getting up at 3 am and only sleeping 5
hours per night allows him to do this.
Pete also blames Grayson Evans KJ7UM for this rig, what with the
thrematrons and all. Pete has a 7360 mixer in this rig, something that
Grayson had in the 3rd edition of his Hollow-State Design book (get yours
here: https://www.ermag.com/product/hollow-state-design-2nd-edition/).
Pete reports that he first built the chassis for the tube (I mean
thermatron) portion of the rig in the 1970s -- it has been in his junkbox
ever since. Grayson admires Pete's compact construction and point-to-point
wiring.
I too noticed very poor conditions on Field Day this year.
Three cheers for Pete Juliano!

Thoughts on Homebrew, Makers, DIY, and Hams -- from Lex PH2LB

http://soldersmoke.blogspot.com/2022/06/thoughts-on-homebrew-and-makers-and-diy.html

Sometimes we get a comment that is so good that we elevate it to the main
blog page. That was the case with Lex PH2LB's comment on the blog post of
Owen Duffy (yesterday). ----------------------
When I started the hobby, it arose out of technological curiosity, the
interest in understanding things and the will to make things myself
(designing myself was not my main goal). It doesn't matter to me whether it
is 100% DIY or a kit (such as Heathkit, Elecraft, QRP-Labs etc) which is
modified or not after construction. Just having fun with the hobby and
pushing boundaries. And yes I also have some off-the-shelf transceivers
(I'm super happy with my FT817ND) and my QO-100 uplink is also a kit (which
is then already soldered a little more than average). As far as new tools
are concerned: here at home are 2 types of 3D printers, various tools for
SMT assembly, and I have a nice workshop equipped with tools and equipment
for metal / plastic / wood processing. And every day I try to learn
something new, because I stand by the IBEW moto : If you know stuff, you
can do stuff.Am I a maker then? I wouldn't call myself that. Just like I
don't call myself a hacker because I'm quite handy with computers,
technology and have certain skills. I'm just a hobbyist who wants to do and
make things after work.---------------------Lex is a true member of the
International Brotherhood. He is the one who took our beloved stickers
onto the European continent and into a Netherlands pub. He is the one who
-- unforgettably -- saw the parallels between ham shacks and the "pleasure
room" of "50 Shades of Gray" (See below -- apropos of his current message,
we labeled his meme "50 Shades of Homebrew") For more on Lex see:
https://soldersmoke.blogspot.com/search?q=PH2LB
Lex's web site (Shack on the Internet):
https://www.ph2lb.nl/blog/index.php?page=hamradio
Thanks Lex!