[SSDN] Hammarlund and Homebrew Heroine: Janis AB2RA, HQ-100 Filter Cap Question

SSDN via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin

Jun 23, 2022, 1:48:52 AM6/23/22

SolderSmoke Daily News

Hammarlund and Homebrew Heroine: Janis AB2RA, HQ-100 Filter Cap Question

http://soldersmoke.blogspot.com/2022/06/hammarlund-and-homebrew-heroine-janis.html

I was searching for Hammarlund HQ-100 wisdom when Google pointed me to the
Electric Radio articles of Janis AB2RA. They were in ER #380 and #381
(February and March 2021). Lots of good stuff in there.
This morning I happened upon a 2014 SolderSmoke blog post (as you do) about
my Tuna Tin 2. Turns out that Janis was my first contact with this rig.
And she too was running a homebrew rig. TRGHS.
https://soldersmoke.blogspot.com/2014/03/i-too-built-tuna-tin-2.html
I continue to work on my HQ-100. The AC hum is getting worse so I have
ordered a replacement capacitor can from Hayseed Hamfest. But I was a bit
confused about which cap to order. Hayseed has two caps listed for the
HQ-100 -- one (it seems) for the early model of this receiver and one for
later models. Is that right? Did Hammarlund update the power supply to
add filter capacitors? Take a look:
https://hayseedhamfest.com/collections/hammarlund

Dean KK4DAS is getting ready to work on his dad's HQ-170A. He too will
find lots of wisdom and tribal knowledge on Janis's wonderful web site.
Her main page: http://www.wireless-girl.com/ (with a vast amount of
technical info available through the links on the upper left side of this
page)
About Janis: http://www.wireless-girl.com/AboutMe.html
Thanks Janis! The Original Wireless
Girlhttp://www.wireless-girl.com/OrigWirelessGirl.html

Summer Solstice -- EITs. Solar Tsunamis. Strange Falcon 9 Spirals Seen in
New Zealand

http://soldersmoke.blogspot.com/2022/06/summer-solstice-eits-solar-tsunamis.html

Forbes has an interesting article that may help explain the poor Cycle 25
propagation that were talking about in SolderSmoke podcast #238:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmack/2022/03/28/an-increasingly-active-sun-is-now-producing-solar-tsunamis-and-sending-flares-our-way/?sh=613e1dd1fbfd
And Space Weather website has an interesting piece about some really
strange SpaceX Falcon 9-related phenonmenon:
https://spaceweather.com/archive.php?view=1&day=20&month=06&year=2022