picofuse colour code?

Dave Martindale

Sep 10, 2000, 1:47:23 AM9/10/00
I blew a fuse in a handheld transceiver. (Multimeter probe touching
two things at the same time - blah). The part seems to be a Picofuse -
it actually looks rather like a small resistor, but obviously isn't
because of how it behaved.

The problem is, I need to know what the rating of the old fuse is in
order to buy a new one. The old one has 4 colour bands painted on it,
just like a resistor, but current production Picofuses seem to have
their value printed directly on them using letters. Thus, I have been
unable to find a chart of the colour code used on the (probably obsolete)
colour-banded Picofuses.

The body of the fuse is green. Of the four bands painted on the fuse,
one is double the width of the other 3. I presume that this indicates
either the first or last band, but I don't know which. If the double-width
band is the first one, then the colour code is RED-RED-BLACK-ORANGE.
On the other hand, if the double-width band is supposed to be last, then
the colour code is actually ORANGE-BLACK-RED-RED.

This is a transceiver that probably draws 1-1.5 A during transmit,
so it's plausible that the fuse rating might be either 2.2 A or 3 A,
depending on which direction I read the colour code. But I'd rather
not guess.

If anyone can either point me at a Picofuse colour chart, or tell
me the value corresponding to the colour code above, that would be
great.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Gord Skiffington

Sep 10, 2000, 8:31:05 AM9/10/00
I know I save these old catalogues for SOMETHING!

PICO II Fast Acting Fuses - Color code
4 bands....one band is a wide band.......Read from left to right with
the WIDE BAND on your right. Values are in MILLIAMPERES ....wide band
being red indicates FAST ACTING.

AMPERE FIRST BAND SECOND BAND MULTIPLIER
TIME-CURRENT
RATING CHARACTERISTIC
(Wide band)
1/16 blue red black red =
62mA
1/8 brown red brown red =
120mA
1/4 red green brown red =
250mA
3/8 orange violet brown red =
370mA
1/2 green black brown red =
500mA
3/4 violet green brown red =
750mA
1 brown black red red =
1000mA
you get the picture....same as resistor colors
1-1/2 brown green red red =
1500mA
10 brown black orange red =
10000mA

In the abbreviated catalogue I have - chart shows common fuse values as
above up
to and including 15Amps. Note.....the 12 and 15A fuses are rated at
32volts
whereas the smaller sizes are rated 125volts (in the cat I have).

73 - Gord VE1AJF

Dave Martindale

Sep 10, 2000, 9:48:18 AM9/10/00
Gord Skiffington <skif...@nbnet.nb.ca> writes:
>I know I save these old catalogues for SOMETHING!

>PICO II Fast Acting Fuses - Color code
>4 bands....one band is a wide band.......Read from left to right with
>the WIDE BAND on your right. Values are in MILLIAMPERES ....wide band
>being red indicates FAST ACTING.

Great. So my fuse is 3000 mA (orange-black-red) fast-acting (wide red).
That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks.

Dave