Kenwood TS450 and Amplifier ?

Guy Shechter

Mar 7, 1995, 6:03:47 PM3/7/95

Recently I came upon an old Henry 2K-2 linear amplifier. There is a
jack that needs to be connected to my radio so that the amp knows when
I'm about to transmit. (I don't know if they still do this nowadays..)

I cannot find my manual for the TS450 and I was wondering if anyone
knows what output line on the radio carries the "key down" information...

--
Guy Shechter
Johns Hopkins University

Charles J. Mishmash (AA7NQ)

Mar 13, 1995, 1:23:49 AM3/13/95

Guy,

The TS-450S has an internal control relay that uses the REMOTE 7-pin DIN connector
on the rear panel to control a linear amplifier. Pins 2 & 4 are the normally open contacts
on the relay which close during transmission. You should be able to connect these pins
to the amplifier chassis and control line connector. If you plan to connect the amplifier
ALC output back to the TS-450S, use pin 6 and ground.

I used my TS-450 connected this way with a home-brew 8877 amplifier with a vacuum
relay with no problems at all.

DIN connector pinouts:

1 - Speaker Output
2 - Control Relay moving contact
3 - PTT circuit for foot switch
4 - Control Relay (Normally Open Contact
5 - Control Relay (Normally Closed Contact)
6 - ALC Input
7 - Outputs +12VDC on transmit (Maximum 10 mA)
Shield - Ground reference

Good Luck

Charlie (AA7NQ)