[K0NR] Rito Alto Peak SOTA W0C/SC-004

K0NR via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin

Sep 5, 2022, 12:54:57 PM9/5/22

Post : Rito Alto Peak SOTA W0C/SC-004
Author : Bob K0NR
Categories : Ham Radio, Mountains, POTA, SOTA, VHF/UHF

Rito Alto Peak is an easy 13er about 15 miles west of Westcliffe, CO in the
Sangre De Cristo mountain range. This summit caught my attention because it
was near Hermit Pass, one of the highest passes in Colorado at 13047 feet.
We've been taking the Jeep up the highest roads in Colorado, and Hermit Pass
was on The List. Looking around on the map, I noticed that Rito Alto Peak was
an unactivated 10-point SOTA summit right next to the pass. Not only that,
the summit is in the San Juan National Forest (K-4404), enabling a POTA
activation as well. So how could we not do a trip up there?

[...]