MFJ-1278 Software?

Jeffrey Thomas

Oct 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/5/95
I have an MFJ-1278 and the software it comes with (MultiCom) is pretty
lame. Does anyone know of any good software that will control the
1278?

Thanks,
Jeff N2AEW

Chuck Harrington

Oct 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/5/95

Try PacketPeT For Windows! This is the only full featuered
Packet Program For Microsoft Windows that works with the MFJ
line!

You can find the latest shareware version at ftp://qrz.com..

Look for the file p21r2.zip, which was in the /incoming
section, last I checked...

73 Chuck
Chuck Harrington Software, Inc.
PacketPeT For Windows!

chuc...@aol.com
pake...@gate.net

Tim Kearsley

Oct 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/6/95
Try out UltraPak 3.0 (see the USENET article released about now), which
is a very full-featured Windows 3.1 or Win95 piece of terminal software.
You can get it via anonymous ftp from ftp.demon.co.uk in the directory
/pub/ham as filename upak30b.zip.

Version 4.0 of UltraPak is just a few weeks away!

73, Tim.

Tim Kearsley. G4...@G4WFT.GB7LWB.#27.GBR.EU t...@cirrus.demon.co.uk

Terry Fugate

Oct 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/6/95
In article <451f3a$c...@nnrp1.news.primenet.com>, tho...@primenet.com (Jeffrey Thomas) says:

>I have an MFJ-1278 and the software it comes with (MultiCom) is pretty
>lame. Does anyone know of any good software that will control the
>1278?
>
>Thanks,
>Jeff N2AEW

I use an older version(2.1?) of crosstalk. I redifined the keys so that,
for instance, shift F1 puts your MFJ1278 into HB 45,shift F2=HB 50 etc.
Most comercial com programs allow you to define the function key so you
can have up to 40 (f1,shft f1, alt f1, cntrl f1)....
I also wrote a basic program and compilled it with quickbasic(v4.5?).
I like it better than crosstalk, but (and I am not freaking out here) it
will not run on any thing higher than a 80286. It will not run on any
386/sx/dx or 486/sx/dx. It ran fine on my ps1(I must have had the only
ps1 with a serial card instead of the internal modem :) I only use my
MFJ1278 for RTTY,AMTOR/ASCII(and when I am really into pain)/cw. Of
course the only ASCII I have ever seen was W1aw(at least it works) I
use JVFAX for FAX and have received SSTV. Don't bother trying to
receive any image modes with the MFJ1278(the timing skew is a nightmare
and you might want to front mount the cpu clock trim cap (grin). JVfax
just blows the MFJ1278 out of the water. Even with the simple opamp
"converter" for jvfax you get grey scale reception. I have just
downloaded WXMAN 2.0 for the oakland ftp site.
Anyway, if want drop me an email and I will try to post/send my little
basic program to control the mfj(it is compilled for com1..I never
figured out how to use com3 or com 4). It only supports reception, I
never got around to completing the transmite section. Or you might
just try your hand at writting you own terminal program.
Terry Fugate
UKTV
University of Kentucky
"The opinions expressed herein are mine, and soley mine. They do not
represent the official view of the University of Kentucky,
the State of Kentucky, or any agency of any government.
If you do not like my opinion, just get on with your life.
I will not change your mind and you damn sure can not change mine."

James W. Lynch

Oct 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/10/95
Jeffrey Thomas (tho...@primenet.com) wrote:
: I have an MFJ-1278 and the software it comes with (MultiCom) is pretty

: lame. Does anyone know of any good software that will control the
: 1278?

: Thanks,
: Jeff N2AEW
Try SimpTerm. Version 2.1 can be found on SimTel and Garbo, while a beta version
of 2.2 can be found at ftp://atl1.america.net/pub/users/k4gvo/simptr22.zip.
The doc file in the beta version isn't quite up to snuff, so if you want
to try it, let me know and I'll send you the updated one.

It is freeware and will run with all TNCs.

Jim.

Jim Lynch, Sales Analyst, Cray Research, Inc. / ARS: K4GVO
Southeast District, Phone: (770) 631-2254, Email: j...@cray.com
Suite 270, 200 Westpark Drive, Peachtree City, GA 30269

Randy Reames

Oct 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/12/95
In <1995Oct10....@walter.cray.com> j...@cray.com (James W. Lynch)
writes:

>Try SimpTerm. Version 2.1 can be found on SimTel and Garbo, while a
beta version
>of 2.2 can be found at
ftp://atl1.america.net/pub/users/k4gvo/simptr22.zip.
>The doc file in the beta version isn't quite up to snuff, so if you
want
>to try it, let me know and I'll send you the updated one.
>
>It is freeware and will run with all TNCs.
>
>Jim.
>
>--
-
>Jim Lynch, Sales Analyst, Cray Research, Inc. / ARS: K4GVO
>Southeast District, Phone: (770) 631-2254, Email: j...@cray.com
>Suite 270, 200 Westpark Drive, Peachtree City, GA 30269

Multicom goes beyond lame. It's about the worst example of
an 'all elbows' 1984 vintage DOS program that I've seen in
a long time. Yuk!

I can't believe they have the nerve to put this out with
an otherwise good piece of hardware. I'm calling MFJ
to see if there's any hope for a REAL windows program.

What I'm interested in is something that will work with
the MFJ1278 for slowscan. The Multicom stuff is not only
a pain to use, but it does a horrible job of converting
any pcx to a decent looking S1, M1, or any other format
sstv image.

Randy Reames
WA0TKO
rre...@ix.netcom.com

Randy Reames

Oct 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/12/95
In <45ih9k$m...@ixnews6.ix.netcom.com> rre...@ix.netcom.com (Randy
Reames ) writes:

>Multicom goes beyond lame. It's about the worst example of
>an 'all elbows' 1984 vintage DOS program that I've seen in
>a long time. Yuk!
>
>I can't believe they have the nerve to put this out with
>an otherwise good piece of hardware. I'm calling MFJ
>to see if there's any hope for a REAL windows program.
>
>What I'm interested in is something that will work with
>the MFJ1278 for slowscan. The Multicom stuff is not only
>a pain to use, but it does a horrible job of converting
>any pcx to a decent looking S1, M1, or any other format
>sstv image.
>
>Randy Reames
>WA0TKO
>rre...@ix.netcom.com

For those interested, I talked with 'Tom' at MFJ technical support
about Multicom. (1-800-647-8324) He was VERY helpful and agreed that
Multicom was lacking as
far as windows compatibility and that they were in the process of
doing a rewrite. Should be out about Christmas time.

They also have a new product - MFJ1213 that is an interface for
use with JVFAX70 for slowscan, fax, etc. He verified what I had
experienced. The UA741 op amp circuit that is touted in a lot of
articles as a simple interface for JVFAX and other programs is a
real bear to get working correctly. I spent a week of frustration
building and rebuilding that circuit to no avail. The MFJ1213
is supposed to list for $29.95 and will be ready for shipment in
about 6-8 weeks.

Randy
WA0TKO
rre...@ix.netcom.com