[G3XBM] 8m experiment (Monday)

G3XBM via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin

Jun 21, 2022, 12:10:54 AM6/21/22

Roger G3XBM's (Mainly) Amateur Radio Blog

8m experiment (Monday)

http://g3xbm-qrp.blogspot.com/2022/06/8m-experiment-monday_20.html

Just EI9KP (649km) spotting me today. Certainly here, I am seeing no
evidence of Es propagation from mainland Europe. The same is true of 10m.
As I am spotted by EI9KP on 8m FT8 frequently, I am wondering if this
really is Es?

10m QRP WSPR TX

http://g3xbm-qrp.blogspot.com/2022/06/10m-qrp-wspr-tx_20.html

At about 1330z, I turned on my 500mW WSPR beacon. So far, no spots of me.

The case for a small UK 8m amateur band

http://g3xbm-qrp.blogspot.com/2022/06/the-case-for-small-uk-8m-band.html

It is true to say that I am fuming by the attitude of OFCOM and the RSGB to
a tiny 8m allocation. Let me explain.
OFCOM seems dead against an amateur allocation and the RSGB appears to just
accept this. Our hobby is meant to be about self-training. In my personal
experience of RF development, without any doubt the best RF engineers were
those who were intrinsically motivated and "turned on" by RF. I have read
countless CVs of electronics graduates who, frankly, were totally useless.
I knew more at 16 than they did!! I learnt more from my RAE course than
they did with a degree!
If we are really interested in future RF designers, we should be doing all
we can to promote "self training".
These are my proposals:
40.680 - 40.685 MHz (5 kHz only). This is in the ISM band and widely used
internationallyNarrow digital only (e.g. WSPR, FT8, CW and no speech)By NoV
onlyStrictly non-interferencePower limited if need be.Personally, I would
happily lose 5 kHz from any band in trade. Such a narrow allocation with no
speech is very unlikely to attract "more of the same" and foster the true
purpose of our hobby.

OFCOM and RSGB, wake up!!

Sunspots - Monday June 20th 2022

http://g3xbm-qrp.blogspot.com/2022/06/sunspots-monday-june-20th-2022.html

Solar flux is 144 and the SSN 120. A=12 and K=2.

Jim Stewart ...

Jun 21, 2022, 2:16:01 AM6/21/22

> It is true to say that I am fuming by the attitude of OFCOM and the RSGB
> to a tiny 8m allocation. Let me explain.
> OFCOM seems dead against an amateur allocation and the RSGB appears to
> just accept this. Our hobby is meant to be about self-training. In my
> personal experience of RF development, without any doubt the best RF
> engineers were those who were intrinsically motivated  and "turned on"
> by RF. I have read countless CVs of electronics graduates who, frankly,
> were totally useless. I knew more at 16 than they did!! I learnt more
> from my RAE course than they did with a degree!
> If we are really interested in future RF designers, we should be doing
> all we can to promote "self training".
> These are my proposals:
> 40.680 - 40.685 MHz (5 kHz only). This is in the ISM band and widely
> used internationallyNarrow digital only (e.g. WSPR, FT8, CW and no
> speech)By NoV onlyStrictly non-interferencePower limited if need
> be.Personally, I would happily lose 5 kHz from any band in trade. Such a
> narrow allocation with no speech is very unlikely to attract "more of
> the same" and foster the true purpose of our hobby.
>
> OFCOM and RSGB, wake up!!
your just playing at it all the best rf engineers are where the gear is
produced IE the far east ...