mini quad hf antennas

ROBERT G. FRICK

Jun 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/30/95
hi out there,
i'm sending thins from Manama, Bahrain from where I hope to be
using a A92 call shortly. Many of you out there might have worked
me previously when I was operating J28BM from Djibouti. Has
anybody out there used or know anything about a mini quad hf
antenna that was on the market about a year ago; reliability,
performance. I'm going to have to get a new directional antenna
and roof space could be a problem. I used the Butterfly Beam by
Butternut in Djibouti but I haven't seen that antenna advertised
lately (it was a bummer to put togehter, but I did work all 50
states with it). Look forward to hearing from you.
73's
Bob (N3NGC ex-J28BM)

mor...@ipers1.e-technik.uni-stuttgart.de

Jul 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/3/95
>Has
>anybody out there used or know anything about a mini quad hf
>antenna that was on the market about a year ago; reliability,
>performance.

As with all mini-antennas you can be assured that the performance
will be apalling. Are you sure, a vertical for 20 m or a full
size dipole will not fit somewhere on your roof?

73, Moritz DL5UH

Ignacy Misztal

Jul 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/3/95
The smallest yet effective mini-loop is the tuned loop. Its
disadvantage is small bandwith unless it is tuned remotely.

Ignacy Misztal Ham radio: NO9E, SP8FWB
E-mail: ign...@uiuc.edu
University Of Illinois 1207 W. Gregory Dr., Urbana, IL 61801, USA
tel. (217) 244-3164 Fax: (217) 333-8286

Jim Martin

Jul 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/3/95
bob...@logcabin.win.net (ROBERT G. FRICK) wrote:

>hi out there,
>i'm sending thins from Manama, Bahrain from where I hope to be
>using a A92 call shortly. Many of you out there might have worked

>me previously when I was operating J28BM from Djibouti. Has

>anybody out there used or know anything about a mini quad hf
>antenna that was on the market about a year ago; reliability,

>performance. I'm going to have to get a new directional antenna
>and roof space could be a problem. I used the Butterfly Beam by
>Butternut in Djibouti but I haven't seen that antenna advertised
>lately (it was a bummer to put togehter, but I did work all 50
>states with it). Look forward to hearing from you.

I used a mini-quad HQ-1 (forget who made it) from 1983 to 1985 for 20,
15, 10, and 6 meters. It had mostly omni-directional characteristics
on 20 and 15 but 10 and 6 you noticed its directional qualities.

For me it was a great little antenna. I got rid of it when I bought a
tower and full sized yagi from KA5NAL "Natualized American Limey",
Ainsley Phillips (God rest his soul). Yes, I noticed quite a
difference between the two.

Right now I am in a situation where I cannot put up my tower. The
mini-quad works well on a piece of mast and with a TV rotator...I have
that but no mini-quad...which I would be using now if I did have it.
Jim Martin | I speak for no one....not even myself.
Lowell, Massachusetts |
USAF(Ret) 1973-1993 |