countersign

John Somerset

Sep 28, 2015, 4:27:06 AM9/28/15
You and another spy come to an enemy checkpoint and watch.

The sentry tells the first solder 12.
The soldier answers 6 and goes through.

The sentry tells the next soldier 6.
The soldier answers 3 and goes through.

When your partner approaches, the sentry says 10.
Your partner answers 5 and is shot.

You approach. The sentry says 8.
What should you answer?

Richard Heathfield

Sep 28, 2015, 4:34:17 AM9/28/15
"I rarely miss at this range."

--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk

Dave Baker

Sep 28, 2015, 10:58:44 AM9/28/15

"John Somerset" <some...@nospam.com> wrote in message
You should say the same as your dead partner who should have said 3.
--
Dave Baker

John Somerset

Sep 28, 2015, 4:18:18 PM9/28/15
BANG!

John Somerset

Sep 28, 2015, 5:39:09 PM9/28/15
Sorry about that. I hope I don't lose a stripe over this! It could
have happened to any easily confused sentry!

Alexander Thesoso

Sep 29, 2015, 5:52:28 AM9/29/15
Look at watch and say 2... Or just shoot.

Rink

Dec 30, 2020, 9:19:34 AM12/30/20
Op 29-9-2015 om 11:52 schreef Alexander Thesoso:
John,

I don't like it when you give us a puzzle and do not give the answer....
Now everybody is puzzled...

Rink

leflynn

Dec 30, 2020, 3:15:40 PM12/30/20
Rink,
The answer is to say the number of letters used to spell the number the sentry says:
"twelve" has six letters
"six" has three letters
"ten" has three letters but the partner said 5. He should have said 3.
"eight" has five letters so you should say 5 like your partner said only this time it will be correct.

I think it would be better to shoot the sentry as everyone has heard the shot that killed your partner. I am not sure why everyone on both sides is speaking English.

L. Flynn