longest word using a, c, e, g, ...

Charles Blair

Jun 29, 1993, 1:38:25 AM6/29/93
Last week NPR's puzzle feature asked what the longest non-
contrived word was using only alternate letters of the alphabet.
I missed the answer. The best I could come up with was ``successes.''

PS I know this can be done using unix tools, but I'm lazy.

Robert Michael Jarvis

Jun 29, 1993, 9:56:23 AM6/29/93
ceb...@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Charles Blair) writes:

SPOILER:

acquiesces is the longest I could find.

Mike

Chris Cole

Jun 29, 1993, 7:14:28 PM6/29/93

The longest I can find has 13 letters: "gammacismuses", which are
difficulties in pronouncing velar consonants (as \g\ and \k\).

Guy Cousineau

Jul 2, 1993, 7:08:21 PM7/2/93

In a previous article, ceb...@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Charles Blair) says:

> Last week NPR's puzzle feature asked what the longest non-
>contrived word was using only alternate letters of the alphabet.
>I missed the answer. The best I could come up with was ``successes.''

SUCCESSES
ACQUIESCES...where's N and L when you need them :-)

I am sure we can do better...where are those on-line word lists?

Guy

--
Guy Cousineau On FidoNet CPMTECH and ADAM echo
Ottawa Canada Home RCPM (613) 829-6354 8N1

Ed Hanway

Jul 9, 1993, 12:04:17 PM7/9/93
Guy Cousineau (ab...@Freenet.carleton.ca) wrote:

: In a previous article, ceb...@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Charles Blair) says:

: > Last week NPR's puzzle feature asked what the longest non-
: >contrived word was using only alternate letters of the alphabet.
: >I missed the answer. The best I could come up with was ``successes.''
: >
: SUCCESSES
: ACQUIESCES...where's N and L when you need them :-)
:
: I am sure we can do better...where are those on-line word lists?

% egrep -i -v '[bdfhjlnprtvxz]' web2 |
awk '{print length($1) " " $1}' | sort -r -n | head -30
12 Eucommiaceae
11 squamaceous
11 semisuccess
11 semisimious
11 semiosseous
11 mimosaceous
11 megaseismic
11 mayacaceous
11 gammacismus
10 sequacious
10 semimucous
10 mesocaecum
10 massasauga
10 massageuse
10 isoseismic
10 isoosmosis
10 icosasemic
10 gemmaceous
10 ekacaesium
10 couscousou
10 cacogeusia
10 ammiaceous
10 Missisauga
10 Mimosaceae
10 Mayacaceae
10 Coccomyces
10 Cassiaceae
9 squeamous
9 squamosis
9 squameous

--
Ed Hanway --- j...@raster.kodak.com
This message is packed as full as practicable by modern automated equipment.

Alex MacDonald

Jul 19, 2021, 11:49:54 AM7/19/21
"Sussus Amogus" technically counts

Richard Heathfield

Jul 19, 2021, 5:09:49 PM7/19/21
That looks like two words to me.

I offer: "gammacismus", for 11 letters. Unlike your offerings, at the
time of writing it has its own Wiktionary page, which of course isn't
definitive but does at least provide a certain amount of reassurance of
non-contrivedness.

--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk

Richard Tobin

Jul 20, 2021, 5:55:03 AM7/20/21
In article <sd4pmr$jpp$1...@dont-email.me>,
Richard Heathfield <r...@cpax.org.uk> wrote:
>On 19/07/2021 16:49, Alex MacDonald wrote:
>> On Monday, June 28, 1993 at 10:38:25 PM UTC-7, Charles Blair wrote:
>>> Last week NPR's puzzle feature asked what the longest non-
>>> contrived word was using only alternate letters of the alphabet.
>>> I missed the answer. The best I could come up with was ``successes.''
>>> PS I know this can be done using unix tools, but I'm lazy.
>> "Sussus Amogus" technically counts

>That looks like two words to me.
>
>I offer: "gammacismus", for 11 letters. Unlike your offerings, at the
>time of writing it has its own Wiktionary page, which of course isn't
>definitive but does at least provide a certain amount of reassurance of
>non-contrivedness.

"squamaceous" is a perfectly cromulent word.

-- Richard

leflynn

Jul 20, 2021, 2:27:41 PM7/20/21
The longest word that I find using only the even elements of the alphabet is only three letters long.
L. Flynn

Richard Heathfield

Jul 20, 2021, 4:05:41 PM7/20/21
Vowels are mighty scarce, sir - *mighty* scarce!

leflynn

Jul 21, 2021, 12:49:49 PM7/21/21
And no help even from the Welsh...
Why you could look through almost the entire dictionary before finding it.
L. Flynn

leflynn

Jul 22, 2021, 10:35:36 AM7/22/21
For the even letters, some resources give ​"brrr" as a word.
I was thinking of "zzz" . There is also "nth".
L. Flynn

Phil Carmody

Jul 28, 2021, 4:39:27 AM7/28/21
Richard Heathfield <r...@cpax.org.uk> writes:
> On 20/07/2021 19:27, leflynn wrote:
>> On Tuesday, July 20, 2021 at 5:55:03 AM UTC-4, Richard Tobin wrote:

>>> "squamaceous" is a perfectly cromulent word.
>>
>> The longest word that I find using only the even elements of the
>> alphabet is only three letters long.
>
> Vowels are mighty scarce, sir - *mighty* scarce!

Pfft! When's that stopped a rec.puzzler from cheating.
Nonwords do come to the rescue. "Brr" is probably just
on the right side of the line to count. "Blvd." almost
certainly isn't. But that doesn't matter, as I obviously
have a better 4.

Phil

--
We are no longer hunters and nomads. No longer awed and frightened, as we have
gained some understanding of the world in which we live. As such, we can cast

leflynn

Jul 28, 2021, 11:13:42 AM7/28/21
Well "Phpht!" to all of us for using such words.
L. Flynn

henh...@gmail.com

May 23, 2022, 1:25:06 AM5/23/22
Re: longest word using a, c, e, g, ...
i see... we can't use M

otherwise, we could 've (maybe) picked words in ending in WM

BWM, cwm, DWM, GWM, PWM, SWM, BWWM

oh... BWWM is only an acroynym.

leflynn

May 23, 2022, 10:54:32 AM5/23/22