Sliding puzzle without borders

Jose Oliveira

Dec 27, 2021, 7:13:41 PM12/27/21
What is called a sliding puzzle without borders?
(like asteroids game)
(a peace leaving to the left appears on the right, etc.)

You can play a 3x3 and 4x4 here example here:
https://arcalusitana.fun/MuseuZX/index.html?section=games82&program=Klox%20(2021)%20[ZarSoft].tap

Richard Heathfield

Dec 28, 2021, 4:22:41 AM12/28/21
On 28/12/2021 00:13, Jose Oliveira wrote:
> What is called a sliding puzzle without borders?
> (like asteroids game)
> (a peace leaving to the left appears on the right, etc.)

If the playing field window's left is joined to its right OR the top to
the bottom, the playing field is isomorphic to the surface of a
cylinder. If both, it is isomorphic to the surface of a torus. If you
twist one or other you get a Moebius strip. If both, a Klein bottle.

--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk

Anton Shepelev

Dec 28, 2021, 10:16:25 AM12/28/21
Jose Oliveira:

> What is called a sliding puzzle without borders?
> (like asteroids game) (a peace leaving to the left ap-
> pears on the right, etc.)

Puzzles featuring wrapped space of toroidal topology?
Puzzles on a wrapping plane?

/\ http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]

Jose Oliveira

Dec 28, 2021, 11:44:31 AM12/28/21
A terça-feira, 28 de dezembro de 2021 à(s) 15:16:25 UTC, Anton Shepelev escreveu:
> Puzzles featuring wrapped space of toroidal topology?
> Puzzles on a wrapping plane?

- It's a sliding puzzle like the 15 puzzle
- It's a torus puzzle
- I's not like a Rubik's cube in 2D because it has a hole (one piece is missing).

Does it have any special name?

3x3 and 4x4 example here:
https://arcalusitana.fun/MuseuZX/index.html?section=games82&program=Klox%20(2021)%20[ZarSoft].tap

Anton Shepelev

Dec 28, 2021, 12:15:06 PM12/28/21
Jose Oliveira:

> - It's a sliding puzzle like the 15 puzzle
> - It's a torus puzzle
> - I's not like a Rubik's cube in 2D because
> it has a hole (one piece is missing).
>
> Does it have any special name?

Not that I know of. I think you may call it a 15 puzzle in
a horizontally and vertically wrapping field of adjustable
size and with the goal of ordering the chips.
It's a ZX Spectrum game, a modern game, and one written in
`Pascalated BASIC' -- great! I used to have a Soviet Spec-
trum clone called Pentagon 128, and spent many hours with it
playing Nether Earth, Prince of Persia, X-COM, Dizzy, Star
Heritage, Cybernoid, and various football and racing games
for two players. I had games on cassettes and 5-inch discs
(supported by the TR-DOS OS).