Talk for 1 minite without using words with a letter 'A' in them.

M.Warren.

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

Ok..try this.
You must talk (and make sense) for 1 minite. You CANNOT use any words
that contain a letter 'A' and you must talk normally (2 words a second).
You do not have any time to work out what words to use..you must do it
clearly and fluently and within the next 5 mins;)). its EASY when you
know how...any takers??.
Mike.

Vicky Wilks

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

In article <4rqtu0$j...@newton.cc.rl.ac.uk>,
SPOILER SPACE...

More Spoiler Space....

Here we go!

I could try the following:
"I will now count from one to one hundred:
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
..
One Hundred!"

- this should take around a minute to say if you slow it down a
bit and as long as you say "One hundred" as opposed to "A hundred"
then you're OK! You can't go past One hundred because then you get
to one hundred *a*nd one, etc.

Vicky
Not speaking for Logica...

Timothy E. Vaughan

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

"M.Warren." <md...@mailbox.cc.rl.ac.uk> writes:

|> You must talk (and make sense) for 1 minite. You CANNOT use any words
|> that contain a letter 'A' and you must talk normally (2 words a second).
|> You do not have any time to work out what words to use..you must do it
|> clearly and fluently and within the next 5 mins;)). its EASY when you
|> know how...any takers??.

I won't use words with the letter "A", but I will use words with the
letter "a". 8-)

Tim

Chris Hayes

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

In article<4rqtu0$j...@newton.cc.rl.ac.uk>, "M.Warren."
<md...@mailbox.cc.rl.ac.uk> could not resist the urge to say...
>Ok..try this.

>You must talk (and make sense) for 1 minite. You CANNOT use any words
>that contain a letter 'A' and you must talk normally (2 words a second).
>You do not have any time to work out what words to use..you must do it
>clearly and fluently and within the next 5 mins;)). its EASY when you
>know how...any takers??.
>Mike.

Someone else watches Countdown...

--
The Carol Vorderman Fan Club
--
| "Not the one what?"
<*> Boom boom. Boom boom boom. Boom. | "Not The One. Won't talk.
| Can't Talk."

Turnpike evaluation. For Turnpike information, mailto:in...@turnpike.com

Andrew C. Plotkin

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

vi...@jessica.logica.co.uk (Vicky Wilks) writes:
> In article <4rqtu0$j...@newton.cc.rl.ac.uk>,
> "M.Warren." <md...@mailbox.cc.rl.ac.uk> wrote:
> >Ok..try this.
> >You must talk (and make sense) for 1 minite. You CANNOT use any words
> >that contain a letter 'A' and you must talk normally (2 words a second).
> >You do not have any time to work out what words to use..you must do it
> >clearly and fluently and within the next 5 mins;)). its EASY when you
> >know how...any takers??.
> >Mike.
> >
> SPOILER SPACE...
>
> [count to 100]

> You can't go past One hundred because then you get
> to one hundred *a*nd one, etc.

In fact, I was taught that the correct pronunciation of 101 is "one
hundred one." If you follow that rule, the first number with an "a" in
it is "one quadrillion" -- and if you can count to 999,999,999,999,999
in your lifetime, I want your doctor's name.

(I'm using American pronunciation, number-naming, and number-writing
conventions here. Usage of dam' furriners may vary.)

--Z

Andrew C. Plotkin

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

m...@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Tom Magliery) writes:
> > In fact, I was taught that the correct pronunciation of 101 is "one
> > hundred one." If you follow that rule, the first number with an "a" in
> > it is "one quadrillion" -- and if you can count to 999,999,999,999,999
> > in your lifetime, I want your doctor's name.
>
> How exactly do you spell "one thousand"?

Badly, it would seem. :) I wonder what bizarre factoid I was
misremembering? I know there was one, having to do with the spellings
of numbers up to some large power of ten.

Bob Morris x2357

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

In article n...@romeo.logica.co.uk, vi...@jessica.logica.co.uk (Vicky Wilks) writes:

> [spoiler deleted]

> You can't go past One hundred because then you get
> to one hundred *a*nd one, etc.

When I was in school, we learned that "and" is only used between the
whole part and the fraction part (i.e. one and a half). 101 is
pronounced "one hundred one." I guess the TV weatherpeople announcing
the temperature didn't go to the same school. Oh, well, it'll cool
down by October.

Bob
mor...@phx.sectel.mot.com

P.S. Because it's summer and I live in the Sonoran Desert, that's why!
The overnight low was 91 deg. F a couple of days ago and it hasn't
rained for 118 days in a row. (Today will make 119 unless ... it's
getting cloudy)

P.P.S. Don't say thousand.

Darryl Tam

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

"Andrew C. Plotkin" (erky...@CMU.EDU) writes:
> vi...@jessica.logica.co.uk (Vicky Wilks) writes:
>> In article <4rqtu0$j...@newton.cc.rl.ac.uk>,
>> "M.Warren." <md...@mailbox.cc.rl.ac.uk> wrote:
>> >Ok..try this.
>> >You must talk (and make sense) for 1 minite. You CANNOT use any words
>> >that contain a letter 'A' and you must talk normally (2 words a second).
>> >You do not have any time to work out what words to use..you must do it
>> >clearly and fluently and within the next 5 mins;)). its EASY when you
>> >know how...any takers??.
>> >Mike.
>> >
>> SPOILER SPACE...
>>
>> [count to 100]

>> You can't go past One hundred because then you get
>> to one hundred *a*nd one, etc.
>

> In fact, I was taught that the correct pronunciation of 101 is "one
> hundred one." If you follow that rule, the first number with an "a" in
> it is "one quadrillion" -- and if you can count to 999,999,999,999,999
> in your lifetime, I want your doctor's name.
>

> (I'm using American pronunciation, number-naming, and number-writing
> conventions here. Usage of dam' furriners may vary.)
>
> --Z

Doesn't one thous*a*nd have an a in it?

--
Darryl Tam
E-Mail: Ba...@Freenet.Carleton.CA

Matthew C. Clarke

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

>You must talk (and make sense) for 1 minite. You CANNOT use any words
>that contain a letter 'A' and you must talk normally (2 words a second).

This reminds me of the abstract for a lecture given by Douglas
Hofstadter at the 1993 ACM's SIGCSE conference in which the only vowel
used was 'i'. That's when I started to doubt Hofstadter's sanity.

-------------------------------------
Matthew C. Clarke <cla...@unpsun1.cc.unp.ac.za>
University of Natal, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Vicky Wilks

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

In article <klsHp5200...@andrew.cmu.edu>,
"Andrew C. Plotkin" <erky...@CMU.EDU> wrote:
[snip]

>In fact, I was taught that the correct pronunciation of 101 is "one
>hundred one." If you follow that rule, the first number with an "a" in
>it is "one quadrillion" -- and if you can count to 999,999,999,999,999
>in your lifetime, I want your doctor's name.

errr... what about one thous*a*nd?? :-)

>(I'm using American pronunciation, number-naming, and number-writing
>conventions here. Usage of dam' furriners may vary.)

Indeed :-) We (UK) say "one hundred and one, one hundred and two, ... one
hundred and ninety nine" etc. Dam' Merkins!

Vicky
Not speaking for Logica

Douglas J. Mar

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

In article <4rqv95$2...@senator-bedfellow.MIT.EDU>, tvau...@athena.mit.edu
(Timothy E. Vaughan) wrote:

> In article <4rqtu0$j...@newton.cc.rl.ac.uk>,

> "M.Warren." <md...@mailbox.cc.rl.ac.uk> writes:
>
> |> You must talk (and make sense) for 1 minite. You CANNOT use any words
> |> that contain a letter 'A' and you must talk normally (2 words a second).

> |> You do not have any time to work out what words to use..you must do it
> |> clearly and fluently and within the next 5 mins;)). its EASY when you
> |> know how...any takers??.
>

> I won't use words with the letter "A", but I will use words with the
> letter "a". 8-)
>
> Tim

I seem to recall that the letter "a" doesn't occur in the counting numbers
until "thousand". But of course I have to take a little time to work out
which words to use: what comes after two hundred thirty-nine? :-)
| Douglas J. Mar m...@zoltar.nrl.navy.mil |
| Materials Physics Branch, Code 6343 202-767-6244 (office) |
| Naval Research Laboratory 202-767-6295 (lab) |
| 4555 Overlook Avenue SW 202-767-1697 (fax) |
| Washington DC 20375-5000 Bldg 3, Room 409 |
| The views expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of U.S. |
| Government, the Department of Defense, the Navy, or my wife. |

John Dingman

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

<erky...@CMU.EDU> wrote:

: In fact, I was taught that the correct pronunciation of 101 is "one

: hundred one." If you follow that rule, the first number with an "a" in
: it is "one quadrillion" -- and if you can count to 999,999,999,999,999
: in your lifetime, I want your doctor's name.

In fact, the first number is "one thousand". You can count to "nine
hundred ninety nine."

--john

***********************************
EYE wanna rock & roll all niiiight,
and party ev-er-ree day. *Kiss*
***********************************

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Jonathan S. Haas

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

Andrew C. Plotkin <erky...@CMU.EDU> wrote:

>In fact, I was taught that the correct pronunciation of 101 is "one
>hundred one." If you follow that rule, the first number with an "a" in
>it is "one quadrillion" -- and if you can count to 999,999,999,999,999
>in your lifetime, I want your doctor's name.

Errrrrm.... what ever happened to "one thousAnd"?

--
__/\__ Jonathan S. Haas | Jake liked his women the way he liked
\ / jh...@microsoft.com | his kiwi fruit: sweet yet tart, firm-

Randy E Gibson - 1007525

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96
to M.Warren.

On 8 Jul 1996, M.Warren. wrote:

> Ok..try this.

> You must talk (and make sense) for 1 minite. You CANNOT use any words
> that contain a letter 'A' and you must talk normally (2 words a second).
> You do not have any time to work out what words to use..you must do it
> clearly and fluently and within the next 5 mins;)). its EASY when you
> know how...any takers??.

> Mike.

One
Two
Three
Four
Five

Six
Seven
Shall I continue,
or can I just say
Nine Hundred Ninety Nine?

REG

Andy Roberts

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

Douglas J. Mar wrote:

> In article <4rqv95$2...@senator-bedfellow.MIT.EDU>, tvau...@athena.mit.edu
> (Timothy E. Vaughan) wrote:

> > I won't use words with the letter "A", but I will use words with the
> > letter "a". 8-)
> >
> > Tim
>
> I seem to recall that the letter "a" doesn't occur in the counting numbers
> until "thousand". But of course I have to take a little time to work out
> which words to use: what comes after two hundred thirty-nine? :-)

Who cares if there is an 'a' in 101. We only have to talk for a minute.

M.Warren.

Jul 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/10/96

Chris Hayes <Spa...@larrrrrd.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>In article<4rqtu0$j...@newton.cc.rl.ac.uk>, "M.Warren."
><md...@mailbox.cc.rl.ac.uk> could not resist the urge to say...
>>Ok..try this.
>>You must talk (and make sense) for 1 minite. You CANNOT use any words
>>that contain a letter 'A' and you must talk normally (2 words a second).
>>You do not have any time to work out what words to use..you must do it
>>clearly and fluently and within the next 5 mins;)). its EASY when you
>>know how...any takers??.
>>Mike.
>>
>Someone else watches Countdown...
>
>--
>The Carol Vorderman Fan Club
>--
> Spa...@larrrrrd.demon.co.uk

Of course!!;)))...And doesnt Carol look fantastic!!..I dont know what
shes done but definatly looking GOOD!!!;)
Mike.

Roy Lakin

Jul 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/10/96

In article <4rtud1$3...@guysmiley.blarg.net>,

Jonathan S. Haas <posi...@blarg.net> wrote:
>Andrew C. Plotkin <erky...@CMU.EDU> wrote:
>>
>>In fact, I was taught that the correct pronunciation of 101 is "one
>>hundred one." If you follow that rule, the first number with an "a" in
>>it is "one quadrillion" -- and if you can count to 999,999,999,999,999
>>in your lifetime, I want your doctor's name.
>
>Errrrrm.... what ever happened to "one thousAnd"?

Clearly in Hernspeak that's "one thous'n'".

Roy

Matthew Daly

Jul 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/10/96

"M.Warren." <md...@mailbox.cc.rl.ac.uk> writes:
>Ok..try this.
>You must talk (and make sense) for 1 minite. You CANNOT use any words
>that contain a letter 'A' and you must talk normally (2 words a second).
>You do not have any time to work out what words to use..you must do it
>clearly and fluently and within the next 5 mins;)). its EASY when you
>know how...any takers??.
>Mike.

Well, of course you can count, but does that "make sense"? I mean,
if the puzzle were to speak for a minute using only words that
contained the letter "Q", I could read all the bold-faced entries
of the "Q" page of the dictionary, but I'm hardly making sense.

By your criterion, I would think that saying "strength strength
strength ..." 120 times in a minute would make no less sense.

While I'm posting, I'd also like to see someone seriously get out
2 words a second. Even if we didn't play that hyphenated numbers
count as only one word, just counting from sixty to one hundred
without having time to take a breath doesn't seem possible to me,
much less "normal".

-Matthew
--
Matthew Daly I don't buy everything I read ... I haven't
da...@ppd.kodak.com even read everything I've bought.

My opinions are not necessarily those of my employer, of course.

Vicky Wilks

Jul 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/10/96

In article <4s09ms$s...@kodak.rdcs.Kodak.COM>,
da...@PPD.Kodak.COM (Matthew Daly) wrote:

[snip]

>Well, of course you can count, but does that "make sense"? I mean,
>if the puzzle were to speak for a minute using only words that
>contained the letter "Q", I could read all the bold-faced entries
>of the "Q" page of the dictionary, but I'm hardly making sense.
>
>By your criterion, I would think that saying "strength strength
>strength ..." 120 times in a minute would make no less sense.

I would say that it does make sense as long as you prefix it
with an explanation, such as "I will now count to one hundred",
or "I will now utter the word 'strength' one hundred times".
JMHO of course!

>While I'm posting, I'd also like to see someone seriously get out
>2 words a second. Even if we didn't play that hyphenated numbers
>count as only one word, just counting from sixty to one hundred
>without having time to take a breath doesn't seem possible to me,
>much less "normal".

The original puzzle did say [paraphrasing, sorry], "speak at normal
speed, ie about two words a second". I think the point of that was to
prevent you from going "I........um.......like my dog....um....he is
brown..........er....." for one minute. :-)

I did just try this out myself, I managed to count out loud from 1 to 91
without taking a breath. It took me a little over 30 seconds. So going on this
I would say that you could allow yourself a breath lasting (say) two seconds
and still have an average of two words a second (even allowing for hyphenated
numbers to count as one word). Mind you, I have done a lot (8 years) of breath
training for a) acting and b) flute playing, so I'm not necessarily "average"
in this resepct!

Vicky
- not speaking for Logica

Arthur C Clay

Jul 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/10/96

Talking for one minute without the letter 'a'
is a piece of cake. One need not resort to counting,
either. I am now going to begin typing at 70 wpm
and prove to you, at least in written form, that it
is not necessary to incorporate this trivial letter in
everyday speech:

Hello. I'm writing from MIT. Notice none of these sentences
include the first letter. Pretty interesting, huh? It's very
simple...this letter is pretty useless, obviously. One writes
lots of things intelligibly without using our first letter. Now
let me tell you some things concerning my studies here. My experience
here is pretty positive. Working in the Civil Engineering group is lots
of fun even though the work I'm doing is not directly involved with
structures, per se. The work is in the field of nondestructive
testing. I'm developing some high frequency devices to test steel
for defects. I don't get much time to do much except work, work,
work. Sometimes, I do get the opportunity to ride my bike which
is one of the few enjoyments in my life. I enjoy the rec.puzzles
newsgroup which is fun. Except for those silly -gry postings.
Those people should stop the nonsense!

Thought

Jul 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/10/96

> > [count to 100]
> > You can't go past One hundred because then you get
> > to one hundred *a*nd one, etc.
>
> In fact, I was taught that the correct pronunciation of 101 is "one
> hundred one." If you follow that rule, the first number with an "a" in
> it is "one quadrillion" -- and if you can count to 999,999,999,999,999
> in your lifetime, I want your doctor's name.

What the heck happened to one thousAnd? Lets see, nine hundred ninety
nine, one thousAnd, one thousAnd one, etc... I guess you could say
ten-hundred, heh

--

Thought tho...@nightmare.net
_/_/_/_/_/ _/ _/ _/_/_/_/ _/ _/ _/_/_/_/ _/ _/ _/_/_/_/_/

Andrew C. Plotkin

Jul 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/11/96

Thought <tho...@nightmare.net> writes:
> > In fact, I was taught that the correct pronunciation of 101 is "one
> > hundred one." If you follow that rule, the first number with an "a" in
> > it is "one quadrillion" -- and if you can count to 999,999,999,999,999
> > in your lifetime, I want your doctor's name.
>
> What the heck happened to one thousAnd?

The impressive thing is that even though I posted and acknowledged
this mistake three days ago, people are still correcting me.

The even more impressive thing is that nobody has corrected the
spelling of "minute" in the subject line.

Mike Fee

Jul 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/13/96

vi...@jessica.logica.co.uk (Vicky Wilks) writes:

>...I did just try this out myself, I managed to count out loud from 1 to 91

>without taking a breath. It took me a little over 30 seconds. So going on this
>I would say that you could allow yourself a breath lasting (say) two seconds
>and still have an average of two words a second (even allowing for hyphenated
>numbers to count as one word). Mind you, I have done a lot (8 years) of breath
>training for a) acting and b) flute playing, so I'm not necessarily "average"
>in this resepct!

Breath training Vicky? Why some of us have been breathing for decades -with
absolutely no training at all.

Mike.

--
Mike Fee
M....@irl.cri.nz

daniel k rathjens

Jul 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/21/96

Matthew Daly (da...@PPD.Kodak.COM) spake thus:
: Well, of course you can count, but does that "make sense"? I mean,

: if the puzzle were to speak for a minute using only words that
: contained the letter "Q", I could read all the bold-faced entries
: of the "Q" page of the dictionary, but I'm hardly making sense.
: -Matthew
'The numbers from one to one hundred are one, two, three, four .....'
--
Danny Rathjens 'Verbing wierds language.'-- Calvin
GCS/M/S d-(+) s+:- a-- C++(+++)>$ USC+(++)>+++$ P+P>++ L E- W+

Ken Bays

Jul 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/22/96

If the answer that seems to be the common concensus -- the one in which
you state that you will now count from 1 to 100, and then do it -- is
valid, then the following should be valid as well:

"I will now tell you the letters in English, skipping the first one. B,
C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J ...."

daniel k rathjens

Jul 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/22/96

daniel k rathjens (drat...@sirius.fiu.edu) spake thus:
: Matthew Daly (da...@PPD.Kodak.COM) spake thus:

: : Well, of course you can count, but does that "make sense"? I mean,
: : if the puzzle were to speak for a minute using only words that
: : contained the letter "Q", I could read all the bold-faced entries
: : of the "Q" page of the dictionary, but I'm hardly making sense.
: : -Matthew
: 'The numbers from one to one hundred are one, two, three, four .....'
Ok, I'm brain dead. Revision:
'The numbers from one to one hundred in the previous week were one,
two, three ...'
: --

Adam Field

Jul 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/23/96

> If the answer that seems to be the common concensus -- the one in which
> you state that you will now count from 1 to 100, and then do it -- is
> valid, then the following should be valid as well:
>
> "I will now tell you the letters in English, skipping the first one. B,
> C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J ...."

How do you pronounce H? and what about J, I pronounce that JAY. Surely you are
pronouncing As here.

--
-----------------------------Adam Field-----------------------------------
http://www.tcp.co.uk/staff/anf *** Phone : (01703) 393392 | "Live Long

Matthew Daly

Jul 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/24/96

In article <31F48F...@tcp.co.uk> Adam Field <a...@tcp.co.uk> writes:
>> If the answer that seems to be the common concensus -- the one in which
>> you state that you will now count from 1 to 100, and then do it -- is
>> valid, then the following should be valid as well:
>>
>> "I will now tell you the letters in English, skipping the first one. B,
>> C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J ...."
>
>How do you pronounce H? and what about J, I pronounce that JAY. Surely
>you are pronouncing As here.

Surely 'pronouncing' A's is okay. Otherwise, you couldn't pronounce
"eight" in the 'standard' solution.

My only qualm with this solution is that, in order to take a minute,
it should probably say "I will now tell you three times the letters...."

sste...@gr.com

Jul 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/30/96

In article <4t1odv$f...@nyx.cs.du.edu>, <kb...@nyx.cs.du.edu> writes:

> If the answer that seems to be the common concensus -- the one in which
> you state that you will now count from 1 to 100, and then do it -- is
> valid, then the following should be valid as well:
>
> "I will now tell you the letters in English, skipping the first one. B,
> C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J ...."

Not exactly, but related...
I recall hearing a blurb on NPR about a French book written entirely without the
letter 'e', and I believe a subsequent translation to English also without 'e's.
Does anyone recall what this book was called?

Seth Breidbart

Jul 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/30/96

In article <4tkvdn$6...@handy.gr.com>, <sste...@gr.com> wrote:

>I recall hearing a blurb on NPR about a French book written entirely without the
>letter 'e', and I believe a subsequent translation to English also without 'e's.
>Does anyone recall what this book was called?

"A Void". I don't remember the name of the author (but it _does_ have
"e" in it).

Seth

Mark Brader

Jul 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/30/96

> Not exactly, but related...

> I recall hearing a blurb on NPR about a French book written entirely
> without the letter 'e', and I believe a subsequent translation to
> English also without 'e's.
> Does anyone recall what this book was called?

"La Disparition" (1969, Denoel, Paris, ISBN 2207234924 (paperback))
written by Georges Perec (1936-1982). The English translation, by
Gilbert Adair, was "A Void" (1994, Harvill, London, ISBN 0002711184
(paperback), 0002711192).

There was one earlier novel in English without the use of 'e': "Gadsby"
(1939, Wetzel, Los Angeles) by Ernest Vincent Wright (1872-1939).
--
Mark Brader, m...@sq.com "But I do't have a '' key o my termial."
SoftQuad Inc., Toronto -- Lynn Gold

brian r. mcdonald

Jul 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/31/96

Seth Breidbart (se...@panix.com) wrote:
: In article <4tkvdn$6...@handy.gr.com>, <sste...@gr.com> wrote:

: >I recall hearing a blurb on NPR about a French book written entirely without the

: >letter 'e', and I believe a subsequent translation to English also without 'e's.
: >Does anyone recall what this book was called?

: "A Void". I don't remember the name of the author (but it _does_ have
: "e" in it).

the origianl book in french is La Disparition by g*org*s p*r*c.
the english translation is by gilb*rt adair.

there's a good review of the book, with an even better followup,
currently in the newsgroup rec.arts.books (and probably in r.a.b.reviews).

chiwito

--
part-time longshoreman and full-time dilettente at the game of go
bibliophile, skeptic, oulipian, liberal, romantic

M.Warren.

Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96

sste...@gr.com wrote:

>In article <4t1odv$f...@nyx.cs.du.edu>, <kb...@nyx.cs.du.edu> writes:
>
>> If the answer that seems to be the common concensus -- the one in which
>> you state that you will now count from 1 to 100, and then do it -- is
>> valid, then the following should be valid as well:
>>
>> "I will now tell you the letters in English, skipping the first one. B,
>> C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J ...."

except the puzzle was to do it without working out anywords first.
and using words rather than individuall letters.
Mike.

doug...@neustar.biz

May 8, 2015, 6:41:55 PM5/8/15
On Monday, July 8, 1996 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Andrew C. Plotkin wrote:
> vi...@jessica.logica.co.uk (Vicky Wilks) writes:
> > In article <4rqtu0$j...@newton.cc.rl.ac.uk>,
> > "M.Warren." <md...@mailbox.cc.rl.ac.uk> wrote:
> > >Ok..try this.
> > >You must talk (and make sense) for 1 minite. You CANNOT use any words
> > >that contain a letter 'A' and you must talk normally (2 words a second).
> > >You do not have any time to work out what words to use..you must do it
> > >clearly and fluently and within the next 5 mins;)). its EASY when you
> > >know how...any takers??.
> > >Mike.
> > >
> > SPOILER SPACE...
> >
> > [count to 100]
> > You can't go past One hundred because then you get
> > to one hundred *a*nd one, etc.
>
> In fact, I was taught that the correct pronunciation of 101 is "one
> hundred one." If you follow that rule, the first number with an "a" in
> it is "one quadrillion" -- and if you can count to 999,999,999,999,999
> in your lifetime, I want your doctor's name.
>
> (I'm using American pronunciation, number-naming, and number-writing
> conventions here. Usage of dam' furriners may vary.)
>
> --Z
>
> "And Aholibamah bare Jeush, and Jaalam, and Korah: these were the borogoves..."

thousAnd comes much sooner that quadrillion.

Mark Brader

May 8, 2015, 6:55:12 PM5/8/15
Doug Beck posted:
> thousAnd comes much sooner that quadrillion.

And just think, it took him less than 3/5 of a quadrillion nanoseconds
to notice that.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto The uucp stings you!--More--
m...@vex.net Your purse feels lighter.

riverman

May 9, 2015, 4:07:57 AM5/9/15
On Monday, July 8, 1996 at 3:00:00 PM UTC+8, M.Warren. wrote:
> Ok..try this.
> You must talk (and make sense) for 1 minite. You CANNOT use any words
> that contain a letter 'A' and you must talk normally (2 words a second).
> You do not have any time to work out what words to use..you must do it
> clearly and fluently and within the next 5 mins;)). its EASY when you
> know how...any takers??.
> Mike.

I would count as high as I wanted to, but count in numbers, not words.

1000 doesn't have an 'a'. It has a 1 and three 0s.

:-)

rthe...@hotmail.com

May 9, 2015, 8:39:36 AM5/9/15
On Monday, July 8, 1996 at 8:00:00 AM UTC+1, M.Warren. wrote:
> Ok..try this.
> You must talk (and make sense) for 1 minite. You CANNOT use any words
> that contain a letter 'A' and you must talk normally (2 words a second).
> You do not have any time to work out what words to use..you must do it
> clearly and fluently and within the next 5 mins;)). its EASY when you
> know how...any takers??.
> Mike.

This is simple. Extremely simple. It's enough to just count from one to one hundred. Just two problems: one: how does one continue once one hundred is encountered - does one count down to one then? I'm sure I could count to one hundred in under sixty seconds. Two: who thinks counting up to one hundred is sensible? I sure don't. For the _correct_ solution, just utilise this post.

Roy

James Dow Allen

May 9, 2015, 9:30:50 AM5/9/15
On Saturday, May 9, 2015 at 5:55:12 AM UTC+7, Mark Brader wrote:
> And just think, it took him less than 3/5 of a quadrillion nanoseconds
> to notice that.

:-)

A loosely-related question was addressed in this ng in 2010.
Subject: Univocalic Verse
Msg-Id: <i1bapa$g84$1...@news.eternal-september.org>
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.puzzles/jLpXAkq4UsM
Write a poem which makes us of only one of the vowels.

Richard Heathfield composed one of the submissions, but
I will narcissistically excerpt only my own effort:

DISCIPLINING

Impish witch with whip sizzling, swindling high
Instills wish: bitch clinching with thrilling silk thigh.
Bikini crisp clinging,
Lipstick'd kiss gripping,
Sixth digit tingling,
Brisk witch is ... whipping?
Is whipping? Hi! Hi?
Dirk, first firm, is flinching,
Cringing, diminishing.
Illicit fling is inhibiting:
Bliss (I miss'd) fizzling.
Fitting finish, I sigh.

Jimmi

Richard Heathfield

May 10, 2015, 7:17:26 AM5/10/15
On 09/05/15 14:30, James Dow Allen wrote:
> On Saturday, May 9, 2015 at 5:55:12 AM UTC+7, Mark Brader wrote:
>> And just think, it took him less than 3/5 of a quadrillion nanoseconds
>> to notice that.
>
> :-)
>
> A loosely-related question was addressed in this ng in 2010.
> Subject: Univocalic Verse
> Msg-Id: <i1bapa$g84$1...@news.eternal-september.org>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.puzzles/jLpXAkq4UsM
> Write a poem which makes us of only one of the vowels.
>
> Richard Heathfield composed one of the submissions

I didn't remember doing so, so I followed the URI above, and was
delighted to find that my submission actually carried a sensible message
(and it even kinda rhymed and kinda scanned - ish).

Whether it met the criterion of monovowelularity depends on whether you
count 'y' as a vowel (and yes, that debate took up most of the thread!).

--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk

cro...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2017, 1:17:01 AM4/3/17
On Monday, July 8, 1996 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, M.Warren. wrote:
> Ok..try this.
> You must talk (and make sense) for 1 minite. You CANNOT use any words
> that contain a letter 'A' and you must talk normally (2 words a second).
> You do not have any time to work out what words to use..you must do it
> clearly and fluently and within the next 5 mins;)). its EASY when you
> know how...any takers??.
> Mike.

I call shenanigans. Nobody counts to 100 as part of a normal conversation. If that's allowed, why not just say "Red lorry, yellow lorry" or "The sixth shiek's sixth sheeps' sick" over and over until the minute is up? That's just as valid as your answer.

Mark Brader

Apr 3, 2017, 3:44:31 PM4/3/17
"Croogy":
> On Monday, July 8, 1996 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, M.Warren. wrote:
> > Ok..try this.
> > You must talk (and make sense) for 1 minite. You CANNOT use any words
> > that contain a letter 'A' and you must talk normally (2 words a second).
> > You do not have any time to work out what words to use..you must do it
> > clearly and fluently and within the next 5 mins;)). its EASY when you
> > know how...any takers??.
> > Mike.

> I call shenanigans.

You are calling it approximately 21 years late. Note the date you cited.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "GUALITY IS FIRST"
m...@vex.net | --slogan of "Dongda electron CO.,LTD"

rfro...@lahaina.k12.hi.us

Dec 4, 2019, 3:04:47 PM12/4/19
Why should I do this? It's not very intense, plus people will find out that you're trying something new. It'll feel weird for them too, you using words that you'd use often turn into synonyms of those certain words.

James Dow Allen

Dec 11, 2019, 3:12:24 AM12/11/19
I only check this moribund group once every few months.
I admit to a narcissistic thrill that one of my own poetic
efforts has drifted back to the top, at least in the
Googles.Group rendition of the ng.

Richard Heathfield

Dec 11, 2019, 9:45:26 AM12/11/19
On 11/12/2019 08:12, James Dow Allen wrote:
> I only check this moribund group once every few months.
> I admit to a narcissistic thrill that one of my own poetic
> efforts has drifted back to the top, at least in the
> Googles.Group rendition of the ng.
<snip>

>> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.puzzles/jLpXAkq4UsM
>> Write a poem which makes us of only one of the vowels.
>>
>> Richard Heathfield composed one of the submissions,

Gosh! So O dod! O'd complotoly forgotton. Horo ot os:

Wool sock on cold foot,
On low, low floor of world,
Poor fool roots for food;
Stop! No pots for to cook,
Roots rot, boots shot;
No! No bloody good.

[I must put my foot down over 'Y', despite new-fangled attempts to
vowelify it. As the old schoolboy howler reminds us: "The cow has five
bowels, which are A, E, I, O, and U."]

Richard Heathfield

Dec 11, 2019, 9:47:27 AM12/11/19
On 11/12/2019 08:12, James Dow Allen wrote:
> I only check this moribund group once every few months.

Oh, and that's another thing!

You never told me you were the first to solve Connect Four!

You should have said.

Harumph.

James Dow Allen

Dec 11, 2019, 2:01:35 PM12/11/19
On Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 9:47:27 PM UTC+7, Richard Heathfield wrote:
> On 11/12/2019 08:12, James Dow Allen wrote:
> > I only check this moribund group once every few months.
>
> Oh, and that's another thing!
>
> You never told me you were the first to solve Connect Four!
>
> You should have said.

Hey Richard, I was first to solve Connect Four.

AFAIK I was also 1st to prove/present 6-moves-or-fewer
solver for (7,5) Mastermind. Play with me here:
http://www.fabpedigree.com/james/mmind/mmind.htm

The From: address is defunct. MY Gmail contact, and
offering best regards is

jamesdowallen

Richard Heathfield

Dec 11, 2019, 3:37:32 PM12/11/19
On 11/12/2019 19:01, James Dow Allen wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 9:47:27 PM UTC+7, Richard Heathfield wrote:
>> On 11/12/2019 08:12, James Dow Allen wrote:
>>> I only check this moribund group once every few months.
>>
>> Oh, and that's another thing!
>>
>> You never told me you were the first to solve Connect Four!
>>
>> You should have said.
>
> Hey Richard, I was first to solve Connect Four.

Gosh! I had no idea. Thanks for telling me, James!

By the way, you might not know this, but I invented AVL trees.
(Unfortunately, A-V and L stole my idea and sent it a few decades back
through time so that they could claim priority.)

How are you getting on with Connect Five?

> AFAIK I was also 1st to prove/present 6-moves-or-fewer
> solver for (7,5) Mastermind. Play with me here:
> http://www.fabpedigree.com/james/mmind/mmind.htm

Pretty good. It took me nine guesses, a reveal, and a tenth guess, but I
won! I won! (I lost.)

> The From: address is defunct. MY Gmail contact, and
> offering best regards is
>
> jamesdowallen

Saved for future reference. (You know mine already because it's in my
headers.)

ObPuzzle: Variant on Connect Four, which would be tricky to implement
IRL but not so hard in a computer, and easy to play on paper:

Allow the player to drop the counter in from any compass point (NSEW).
It travels as far as possible until encountering an obstacle or the last
cell in the row or column. Row and column count is agreed by both
players beforehand. (Invented by myself and Kevin R at school in 1980 or
so.)

Example game start with 5x6 board:

Player 1 (o) plays N4

+123456
1......
2......
3......
4......
5...o..

Player 2 (x) plays W3

+123456
1......
2......
--> 3.....x
4......
5...o..

Player 1 plays N6

+123456
1......
2.....o
3.....x
4......
5...o..

Player 2 plays W3

+123456
1......
2.....o
--> 3....xx
4......
5...o..

etc.

And many a happy maths lesson passed in thus wise, which is probably why
I can't do partial integration.

Robert Taylor

Feb 14, 2023, 1:04:20 PM2/14/23
> In fact, I was taught that the correct pronunciation of 101 is "one
> hundred one." If you follow that rule, the first number with an "a" in
> it is "one quadrillion" -- and if you can count to 999,999,999,999,999

False - All the numbers from "One thousand" to (one less than one million) will contain an A.

HenHanna

Feb 7, 2024, 2:42:41 PMFeb 7
One billion: This is the first number written in English that contains
the letter "B."

One octillion: This is the first number written in English that contains
the letter "C."

Zero: Interestingly, it's the first number containing the letter "E" and
"O."

Three: It's the first number with the letter "H."

Eleven: It's the first number with the letter "L."

Letters without representation: The letters J and K don't appear in any
cardinal numbers written in English.

Puzzles:

What is the smallest number that, when spelled out, uses all the letters
of the alphabet? (One-thousand two hundred thirty-four)

Can you find a number between 1 and 100 that uses all the vowels but no
consonants? (There isn't one!)

What is the smallest number that has five "I"s in its written form?
(Eleven hundred eleven)

Challenge: Can you come up with your own puzzle based on letters and
numbers?

Bonus:

Did you know that the word "palindrome" is itself a palindrome?

Can you think of any other words that are numbers spelled backward?
(Eleven, noon, racecar, level)

I apologize that my previous response contained inaccurate
information. You're absolutely right, and I appreciate you pointing it
out. I am still under development and learning to perform many tasks
accurately. Would you mind specifying which statements were incorrect,
so I can improve my knowledge and avoid similar mistakes in the future?
Additionally, if you have any further questions or puzzles for me, I'd
be happy to try my best to answer them correctly.