Joke for Punch Lines

leflynn

Aug 16, 2022, 8:00:36 PM8/16/22
I just re-read "Stranger in a Strange Land" by R. Heinlein.
One of the characters thinks of jokes and gives the punch lines only.
Your job, should you decide to accept it, is to give the jokes that
go with one or more of these punch lines ---
"her entire bridge club"
"Should I bow?"
"Neither one, you idiot --- instead!"
"--- make trouble for me!"
"--- but it'll spoil the ride for me."
"--- and his mother-in-law fainted."
"Stop you? I bet three to one you could do it!"
"--- something happened to the Ole."
"--- and so are you, you clumsy ox!"

L. Flynn

henh...@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2022, 9:07:15 AM8/17/22
interesting !

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OrphanedPunchline

Two (possibly more) of the Star Trek novels had someone walk in a room in time to hear; "I don't know where you've been lad, but I see you won first prize." Which is the last line (more or less, as it varies depending on who's singing it) from The Scotsman Song.

In Robert A. Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land, the viewpoint character is told that "laughing because it hurts too much to cry" is the basis of all comedy, and she's shown to consider this by mentally listing the punchlines of all the jokes she knows:"-her entire bridge club"..."Should I bow?"..."Neither one, you idiot — instead!"..."-the Chinaman objects"..."-broke her leg"..."-make trouble for me!"..."-but it'll spoil the ride for me"..."-and his mother-in-law fainted"..."Stop you? Why, I bet three to one you could do it!"..."-something has happened to Ole"..."-and so are you, you clumsy ox!"

the woman says: [ But I ordered a fork ]
"-the Chinaman objects"