a perplexing palindrome

Philip Carter

Apr 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/14/96

Change the position of one number only to make this a palindromic
sequence: 1,4,2,9,6,1,5,10,4
--
Philip Carter

jeff Lipton

Apr 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/14/96
> Philip CarterWould it have to do with Roman numerals, heh?

1,4,2,9,6,1,5,10,4
I-IV-II-IX-VI-I-V-X-1V

I-IV-IX-VI-I-V-X-1V-II is the palindrome
1,4,9,6,1,5,10,4,2 is the new configuration

Jim Tiffin

Apr 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/15/96
On Sun, 14 Apr 1996, Philip Carter wrote:

> Change the position of one number only to make this a palindromic
> sequence: 1,4,2,9,6,1,5,10,4
> --
> Philip Carter

Scroll down for solution

Moving the "2" to the end of the sequence, yields

1,4,9,6,1,5,10,4,2

If it doesn't make sense right away, try a different perspective.
Write out the the original sequence in Roman Numerals
1,4,2,9,6,1,5,10,4 --> I IV II IX VI I V X IV --> IIVIIIXVIIVXIV

The new sequence is written this way
1,4,9,6,1,5,10,4,2 --> I IV IX VI I V X IV II --> IIVIXVIIVXIVII

______
-- / . _____ "Knowledge decreases when it ceases to increase."
___/ | | | | --Unknown

Malahal Rao Naineni

Apr 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/27/96

In article <xtFtPFAe...@knowl.demon.co.uk>,

Philip Carter <phi...@knowl.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Change the position of one number only to make this a palindromic
>sequence: 1,4,2,9,6,1,5,10,4

Can't we prove that it can't be done. Every element, may be except one, must
have even frequency in a palindromic sequence.

Am I missing something or you have a different definition in mind.

Phil Desmarais

Apr 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/29/96

Maybe something in binary?

Phil Desmarais