Common Property List 2

20 views
Skip to first unread message

leflynn

unread,
Mar 8, 2008, 11:10:04 AM3/8/08
to
1. What do the following words have in common?
If you think that you can answer the question, add
a word to the list rather than giving it away.

pusillanimous
luxuriant
unobjectionable

2. What do the following 15-letter words have in common?
If you think that you can answer the question, add
a word to the list rather than giving it away.

prognostication
excommunication
enfranchisement

3. What do the following institutions of higher learning
have in common?
If you think that you can answer the question, add
an institution to the list rather than giving it away.

University of the District of Columbia
Southern Methodist University
University of Virginia - Charlottesville

I will add new items to each list every now and then
for the next two weeks.

Kevin Stone

unread,
Mar 8, 2008, 12:53:08 PM3/8/08
to
> 1. What do the following words have in common?

> I will add new items to each list every now and then


> for the next two weeks.

:)

Welcome to rec.puzzles...

Either we'll answer it within a few hours, or we'll not be bothered with it
at all. Either way I'll be very surprised if the thread is still active in
two weeks!

--
Kev


leflynn

unread,
Mar 9, 2008, 4:46:32 PM3/9/08
to
On Mar 8, 12:10 pm, leflynn <lefl...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I will add new items to each list every now and then
> for the next two weeks.

1. What do the following words have in common?


If you think that you can answer the question, add
a word to the list rather than giving it away.

pusillanimous
luxuriant
unobjectionable
ostentatious

2. What do the following 15-letter words have in common?
If you think that you can answer the question, add
a word to the list rather than giving it away.

prognostication
excommunication
enfranchisement
misconstruction

3. What do the following institutes of higher learning


have in common?
If you think that you can answer the question, add

an institute to the list rather than giving it away.

University of the District of Columbia
Southern Methodist University
University of Virginia - Charlottesville

California State University - Sacramento

Bruce Farley

unread,
Mar 9, 2008, 7:51:35 PM3/9/08
to
They are all words I do not use very often!
Bruce

leflynn

unread,
Mar 11, 2008, 9:47:40 AM3/11/08
to
On Mar 9, 4:46 pm, leflynn <lefl...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 8, 12:10 pm, leflynn <lefl...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I will add new items to each list every now and then
> > for the next two weeks.
1. What do the following words have in common?
If you think that you can answer the question, add
a word to the list rather than giving it away.

pusillanimous
luxuriant
unobjectionable
ostentatious
disconsolate

2. What do the following 15-letter words have in common?
If you think that you can answer the question, add
a word to the list rather than giving it away.

prognostication
excommunication
enfranchisement
misconstruction
distemperatures

3. What do the following institutes of higher learning
have in common?
If you think that you can answer the question, add
an institute to the list rather than giving it away.

University of the District of Columbia
Southern Methodist University
University of Virginia - Charlottesville
California State University - Sacramento

Lesley College

LDC

unread,
Mar 12, 2008, 1:30:51 AM3/12/08
to

Yawn.

leflynn

unread,
Mar 13, 2008, 6:23:42 PM3/13/08
to
On Mar 11, 9:47 am, leflynn <lefl...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 9, 4:46 pm, leflynn <lefl...@hotmail.com> wrote:> On Mar 8, 12:10 pm, leflynn <lefl...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > > I will add new items to each list every now and then
> > > for the next two weeks.

1. What do the following words have in common?
If you think that you can answer the question, add
a word to the list rather than giving it away.

pusillanimous
luxuriant
unobjectionable
ostentatious
disconsolate

depressing

2. What do the following 15-letter words have in common?
If you think that you can answer the question, add
a word to the list rather than giving it away.

prognostication
excommunication
enfranchisement
misconstruction
distemperatures

unreconciliable

3. What do the following institutes of higher learning
have in common?
If you think that you can answer the question, add
an institute to the list rather than giving it away.

University of the District of Columbia
Southern Methodist University
University of Virginia - Charlottesville
California State University - Sacramento
Lesley College

University of Wisconsin - River Falls

leflynn

unread,
Mar 14, 2008, 6:04:53 PM3/14/08
to
On Mar 8, 12:10 pm, leflynn <lefl...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I will add new items to each list every now and then
> for the next two weeks.

1. What do the following words have in common?
If you think that you can answer the question, add
a word to the list rather than giving it away.

  pusillanimous
  luxuriant
  unobjectionable
  ostentatious
  disconsolate
  depressing

bureaucratic

2. What do the following 15-letter words have in common?
If you think that you can answer the question, add
a word to the list rather than giving it away.

  prognostication
  excommunication
  enfranchisement
  misconstruction
  distemperatures
  unreconciliable

perpendicularly

3. What do the following institutes of higher learning
have in common?
If you think that you can answer the question, add
an institute to the list rather than giving it away.

  University of the District of Columbia
  Southern Methodist University
  University of Virginia - Charlottesville
  California State University - Sacramento
  Lesley College
  University of Wisconsin - River Falls

University of Alabama - Huntsville

leflynn

unread,
Mar 15, 2008, 6:00:32 PM3/15/08
to
On Mar 8, 12:10 pm, leflynn <lefl...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I will add new items to each list every now and then
> for the next two weeks.

1. What do the following words have in common?
If you think that you can answer the question, add
a word to the list rather than giving it away.

  pusillanimous
  luxuriant
  unobjectionable
  ostentatious
  disconsolate
  depressing
  bureaucratic

envious

2. What do the following 15-letter words have in common?
If you think that you can answer the question, add
a word to the list rather than giving it away.

  prognostication
  excommunication
  enfranchisement
  misconstruction
  distemperatures
  unreconciliable
  perpendicularly

extraordinarily

3. What do the following institutes of higher learning
have in common?
If you think that you can answer the question, add
an institute to the list rather than giving it away.

  University of the District of Columbia
  Southern Methodist University
  University of Virginia - Charlottesville
  California State University - Sacramento
  Lesley College
  University of Wisconsin - River Falls
  University of Alabama - Huntsville

Marywood College

leflynn

unread,
Mar 17, 2008, 11:46:33 AM3/17/08
to
On Mar 8, 12:10 pm, leflynn <lefl...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I will add new items to each list every now and then
> for the next two weeks.

1. What do the following words have in common?
If you think that you can answer the question, add
a word to the list rather than giving it away.

  pusillanimous
  luxuriant
  unobjectionable
  ostentatious
  disconsolate
  depressing
  bureaucratic
  envious

aristocratic

2. What do the following 15-letter words have in common?
If you think that you can answer the question, add
a word to the list rather than giving it away.

  prognostication
  excommunication
  enfranchisement
  misconstruction
  distemperatures
  unreconciliable
  perpendicularly
  extraordinarily

interrogatories

3. What do the following institutes of higher learning
have in common?
If you think that you can answer the question, add
an institute to the list rather than giving it away.

  University of the District of Columbia
  Southern Methodist University
  University of Virginia - Charlottesville
  California State University - Sacramento
  Lesley College
  University of Wisconsin - River Falls
  University of Alabama - Huntsville
  Marywood College

Harris-Stowe State University
Santa Clara Univerisity

dgates

unread,
Mar 18, 2008, 1:15:30 AM3/18/08
to


I hate to be the one to say it, but I don't think that each new entry
is adding much to the puzzle. Maybe you needed to arrange your new
entries such that the original puzzle is "very hard." Then, with the
first new entry, it becomes "pretty hard." And with the second new
entry, it becomes "pretty easy."

I read the lists somewhat carefully the first time. After the first
new entry that added nothing to my understanding, I stopped
altogether.

The guy that posted "Yawn" was probably saying the same thing I am,
but less kindly.

CBFalconer

unread,
Mar 18, 2008, 7:31:45 PM3/18/08
to
dgates wrote:

> <lef...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> leflynn <lefl...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I will add new items to each list every now and then
>>> for the next two weeks.
>>
>> 1. What do the following words have in common?
>> If you think that you can answer the question, add
>> a word to the list rather than giving it away.
>>
>> pusillanimous
>> luxuriant
... snip ...

>
> I read the lists somewhat carefully the first time. After
> the first new entry that added nothing to my understanding,
> I stopped altogether.

It just grew a thread PLONK.

--
[mail]: Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net)
[page]: <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>
Try the download section.


--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

Alan Morgan

unread,
Mar 18, 2008, 8:45:31 PM3/18/08
to
In article <d1eb621d-ede3-411f...@m44g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,

leflynn <lef...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>On Mar 8, 12:10 pm, leflynn <lefl...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I will add new items to each list every now and then
>> for the next two weeks.
>
>1. What do the following words have in common?
>If you think that you can answer the question, add
>a word to the list rather than giving it away.
>
>=A0 pusillanimous
>=A0 luxuriant
>=A0 unobjectionable
>=A0 ostentatious
>=A0 disconsolate
>=A0 depressing
>=A0 bureaucratic
>=A0 envious
> aristocratic

I got nothing. Perhaps you can mention a few similar words that do
not fit? Does luxurious fix? objectionable? xxyzz?

Alan
--
Defendit numerus

ken

unread,
Mar 19, 2008, 2:59:04 AM3/19/08
to

There may be national differences but how about..

Spelman College
Manhattanville College
Simpson University

leflynn

unread,
Mar 19, 2008, 10:25:08 PM3/19/08
to
> Simpson University- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

Yes, nice international touch.

leflynn

unread,
Mar 19, 2008, 10:35:16 PM3/19/08
to
On Mar 18, 1:15 am, dgates <dga...@somedomain.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 08:46:33 -0700 (PDT), leflynn
> <lefl...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >On Mar 8, 12:10 pm, leflynn <lefl...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >> I will add new items to each list every now and then
> >> for the next two weeks................

> I hate to be the one to say it, but I don't think that each new entry
> is adding much to the puzzle. Maybe you needed to arrange your new
> entries such that the original puzzle is "very hard." Then, with the
> first new entry, it becomes "pretty hard." And with the second new
> entry, it becomes "pretty easy."
>
> I read the lists somewhat carefully the first time. After the first
> new entry that added nothing to my understanding, I stopped
> altogether.
>
> The guy that posted "Yawn" was probably saying the same thing I am,

> but less kindly.-

OK. Let's try again.

1. The following list of twelve words (rot13) share a common
characteristic. Decode the words three at a time to see how many words
you need to identify it. If you can, thne try to find another word
with the same characteristic which is not a synonym for any word on
the list.

Pbjneqyl, Unezyrff, Rynobengr,
Raivbhf, Pbzzhavfg, Qrcerffrq,
Abacbyyhgvat, Ohernhpengvp, Eblny,
Znahny, Ener, Thvygl

http://www.faqintosh.com/risorse/en/othutil/webapps/rot13/ to decoded.

3. The following institute pairs each share a common link. The common
links for the six pairs share a common property. Find another pair of
institutes which form a similar pair such that their common link also
shares the common property.
Southern Methodist University
: California Polytechnic State University


University of Virginia - Charlottesville

: Concordia University


California State University - Sacramento

: Harris-Stowe State University


University of Alabama - Huntsville

: University of New Haven
University of Wisconsin - River FallS
: United States Air Force Academy
California State Polytechnic University
: Santa Clara University

leflynn

unread,
Mar 20, 2008, 11:59:04 PM3/20/08
to
On Mar 8, 12:10 pm, leflynn <lefl...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I will add new items to each list every now and then
> for the next two weeks.
2. What do the following 15-letter words have in common?
If you think that you can answer the question, add
a word to the list rather than giving it away.

  prognostication
  excommunication
  enfranchisement
  misconstruction
  distemperatures
  unreconciliable
  perpendicularly
  extraordinarily
  interrogatories

notwithstanding
Flibbertigibbet

The final extensions, from me, for Lists 1 and 3 are in my March 19
posts.

Ilan Mayer

unread,
Mar 21, 2008, 12:13:11 PM3/21/08
to
(ROT13) rzoneenffrq
> http://www.faqintosh.com/risorse/en/othutil/webapps/rot13/to decoded.
>
...

>
> - Show quoted text -

Please reply to ilan dot mayer at hotmail dot com

__/\__
\ /
__/\\ //\__ Ilan Mayer
\ /
/__ __\ Toronto, Canada
/__ __\
||

leflynn

unread,
Mar 21, 2008, 8:42:57 PM3/21/08
to
On Mar 20, 11:59 pm, leflynn <lefl...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 8, 12:10 pm, leflynn wrote

> I will add new items to each list every now and then
> for the next two weeks.

2. What do the following 15-letter words have in common?
If you think that you can answer the question, add
a word to the list rather than giving it away.

  prognostication
  excommunication
  enfranchisement
  misconstruction
  distemperatures
  unreconciliable
  perpendicularly
  extraordinarily
  interrogatories
  notwithstanding
  Flibbertigibbet

circumscription

leflynn

unread,
Mar 21, 2008, 8:47:17 PM3/21/08
to
On Mar 21, 12:13 pm, Ilan Mayer <ilan_no_s...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 19, 10:35 pm, leflynn <lefl...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > 1. The following list of twelve words (rot13) share a common
> > characteristic. Decode the words three at a time to see how many words
> > you need to identify it. If you can, then try to find another word

> > with the same characteristic which is not a synonym for any word on
> > the list.
>
> > Pbjneqyl, Unezyrff, Rynobengr,
> > Raivbhf, Pbzzhavfg, Qrcerffrq,
> > Abacbyyhgvat, Ohernhpengvp, Eblny,
> > Znahny, Ener, Thvygl
> >
> >http://www.faqintosh.com/risorse/en/othutil/webapps/rot13/ to decode.
>
> (ROT13) rzoneenffrq

Yes.

leflynn

unread,
Mar 24, 2008, 6:06:08 PM3/24/08
to
On Mar 19, 10:35 pm, leflynn <lefl...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> 1. The following list of twelve words (rot13) share a common
> characteristic. Decode the words three at a time to see how many
> words you need to identify it. If you can, then try to find another word

> with the same characteristic which is not a synonym for any word on
> the list.
>
> Pbjneqyl, Unezyrff, Rynobengr,
> Raivbhf, Pbzzhavfg, Qrcerffrq,
> Abacbyyhgvat, Ohernhpengvp, Eblny,
> Znahny, Ener, Thvygl
>
> http://www.faqintosh.com/risorse/en/othutil/webapps/rot13/ to decode.
>
Answer Posted by Ilan Mayer: (ROT13) rzoneenffrq

Spoiler Hint: They are colorful adjectives.

leflynn

unread,
Mar 24, 2008, 6:13:08 PM3/24/08
to
On Mar 9, 7:51 pm, Bruce Farley <afakeaddre...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> They are all words I do not use very often!
> Bruce

There are only three things wrong with your answer. One is that you
are supposed to post a list entry, not the common property. If you
correct the other two, then you will have the common property.

On Mar 20, 11:59 pm, leflynn <lefl...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I will add new items to each list every now and then
> for the next two weeks.

2. What do the following 15-letter words have in common?


If you think that you can answer the question, add
a word to the list rather than giving it away.

prognostication
excommunication
enfranchisement

leflynn

unread,
Mar 28, 2008, 10:50:27 PM3/28/08
to
On Mar 19, 10:35 pm, leflynn <lefl...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> OK. Let's try again.
> 3. The following institute pairs each share a common link. The common
> links for the six pairs share a common property. Find another pair of
> institutes which form a similar pair such that their common link also
> shares the common property.
> Southern Methodist University
>                 :   California Polytechnic State University
> University of Virginia - Charlottesville
>                 :   Concordia University
> California State University - Sacramento
>                 :   Harris-Stowe State University
> University of Alabama - Huntsville
>                 :   University of New Haven
> University of Wisconsin - River FallS
>                 :   United States Air Force Academy
> California State Polytechnic University
>                 :   Santa Clara University- Hide quoted text -
>

Spoiler Hint: Their teams are on the road a lot.

leflynn

unread,
Apr 5, 2008, 6:27:08 PM4/5/08
to
On Mar 24, 6:13 pm, leflynn <lefl...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 9, 7:51 pm, Bruce Farley <afakeaddre...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > They are all words I do not use very often!
> > Bruce
>
> There are only three things wrong with your answer. One is that you
> are supposed to post a list entry, not the common property. If you
> correct the other two, then you will have the common property.
>
> On Mar 20, 11:59 pm, leflynn <lefl...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I will add new items to each list every now and then

2. What do the following 15-letter words have in common?


If you think that you can answer the question, add
a word to the list rather than giving it away.

  prognostication
  excommunication
 enfranchisement
misconstruction
  distemperatures
 unreconciliable
perpendicularly
  extraordinarily
 interrogatories
notwithstanding
  Flibbertigibbet
 circumscription

Gloucestershire

leflynn

unread,
Apr 6, 2008, 12:25:06 PM4/6/08
to

praeclarissimus

leflynn

unread,
Feb 26, 2021, 2:55:24 PM2/26/21
to
> > > On Mar 20, 11:59 pm, leflynn <lefl...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > > I will add new items to each list every now and then
> 2. What do the following 15-letter words have in common?
> If you think that you can answer the question, add
> a word to the list rather than giving it away.
> prognostication
> excommunication
> enfranchisement
> misconstruction
> distemperatures
> unreconciliable
> perpendicularly
> extraordinarily
> interrogatories
> notwithstanding
> Flibbertigibbet
> circumscription
> Gloucestershire
> praeclarissimus

They appear in the collected works of Shakespeare.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages