pizza + anarchy (spoiler)

Message has been deleted

BillOC5097

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

"Eric Angelini" <keyne...@skynet.be> wrote:

>1) i would like to cut, with only one knife straight cut, a
>fourth of a round pizza: how?
>
>2) i would like to draw the capital letter A in a circle so to

SPOILER/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
Here's a messy solution:
Fold the pizza in half, then fold once more. You now have a fan-shaped
surface = 1/4 the pizza. Cut along a line from the vertex of the "fan" to
the midpoint of the curved edge. This single cut divides the pizza into
fourths.

Still working on the circle/A part.

/

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
# "Human kind cannot bear very much reality" - T.S. Eliot #

Walter Prager

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

The question asked about cutting "a fourth" -- this solution cuts it into four
pieces. Granted, each is a quarter of the original, but I think the intent was
to cut off a circle segment which is equal to a quarter of the area of the
circle. The hard part is to determine the two points on the circumference
bwetween which the straight cut will be.
--
Walter Prager, Software Designer | ||| "I don't have all the answers. In
TEL: (613) 599-3600 ext. 6460 | |||||||| life, to be honest, I've failed as
NEWBRIDGE NETWORKS CORP | ||||\\\| you *my* kind of success."
Kanata, Ontario, Canada | ||| Dicky Fox

tOOsMA...@hotmail.com

Sep 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/18/97

In article <34203472...@newbridge.com>,

Walter Prager <wpr...@newbridge.com> wrote:

> BillOC5097 wrote:
> >
> > "Eric Angelini" <keyne...@skynet.be> wrote:
> >
> > >1) i would like to cut, with only one knife straight cut, a
> > >fourth of a round pizza: how?
> >
> > SPOILER/

> > Here's a messy solution:
> > Fold the pizza in half, then fold once more. You now have a fan-shaped
> > surface = 1/4 the pizza. Cut along a line from the vertex of the "fan" to
> > the midpoint of the curved edge. This single cut divides the pizza into
> > fourths.
> >

> The question asked about cutting "a fourth" -- this solution cuts it into four
> pieces. Granted, each is a quarter of the original, but I think the intent
> was
> to cut off a circle segment which is equal to a quarter of the area of the
> circle. The hard part is to determine the two points on the circumference
> between which the straight cut will be.

It's almost the same solution to cut off just "a fourth". Fold the pizza
in half. Then fold one quarter of this half pizza to the middle of the
pizza. Now take the knife and cut along this last foldline. It will cut
exactly "a fourth" piece of the pizza. tOOsMART4yOU

NickGard

Sep 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/19/97

Eric Angelini <keyne...@skynet.be> asked:

>1) i would like to cut, with only one knife straight cut, a
>fourth of a round pizza: how?
>

>2) i would like to draw the capital letter A in a circle so to

>have 4 regions of equal surface inside the circle: how?
>---the result will look +/- like this: (A)

I'm still working on this because my math is *very* rusty.
In the meantime:

Silly ObPuzzle: My local pizza delivery company is called
Perfect Pizza. This means that not only do the pizzas taste
perfect but they are also perfectly circular and perfectly
uniform in depth. They've just delivered a pizza with depth a,
and radius z. What is its volume?

Nick.

Martin Hanna

Sep 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/19/97

pi * z(squarred) * a which can also be written as (pi)zza

HMmm....lunchtime..

> Nick.

Ken Kelley

Sep 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/19/97

In article <19970919080...@ladder02.news.aol.com>,

NickGard <nick...@aol.com> wrote:

>Silly ObPuzzle: My local pizza delivery company is called
>Perfect Pizza. This means that not only do the pizzas taste
>perfect but they are also perfectly circular and perfectly
>uniform in depth. They've just delivered a pizza with depth a,
>and radius z. What is its volume?
>
>Nick.

ROTFL

Spoiler
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
The volume of the pizza is, of course, pi z z a.
:>

<