recursive islands

Michael Tobis

Sep 15, 1994, 12:22:23 AM9/15/94
In article <M.Fee.139...@irl.cri.nz>, M....@irl.cri.nz (Mike Fee) writes:
|> In article <mcqCvz...@netcom.com> m...@netcom.com (Robert L McQueer) writes:
|>
|> >Every so often I idly wonder about this - you can find islands on a map,
|> >which have bodies of water in the middle of them, which contain islands,
|> >which ...
|>
|> >What is the largest number of levels that anybody knows of?
|>
|> A New Zealand example is a pond about 10m across and 2m deep on a small island
|> in Lake Waikareiti on the North Island of NZ. = pond on island in lake on
|> island in ocean.

I'll see you:

Shoot, that's not very impressive. A very popular recreation spot on Montreal
Island (I knew it as Beaver Lake, but it's probably Lac aux Castors by now)
matches that.

and raise you:

Flipping through my Wisconsin atlas, I find, sure enough, in Green Bay
(an arm of Lake Michigan, on a continent) one Chambers Island, on which
is a lake, Mackaysee Lake, on which is an island of about 40 meters diameter.

Given this week's weather, it probably has a puddle on it, too.

Can anyone top this? Anyone have a decent map of Manitoulin Island, for
instance? I am sure that some of those large lakes on that huge island in
Lake Huron must have islands, but do any of those have a lake?

mt

Mark Brader

Sep 17, 1994, 4:28:25 AM9/17/94
> Flipping through my Wisconsin atlas, I find, sure enough, in Green Bay
> (an arm of Lake Michigan, on a continent) one Chambers Island, on which
> is a lake, Mackaysee Lake, on which is an island of about 40 meters diameter.

> Can anyone top this? Anyone have a decent map of Manitoulin Island, for
> instance? I am sure that some of those large lakes on that huge island in
> Lake Huron must have islands,

Yes, they do. According to the Guinness Book of Records (1992 edition),
Manitoulin Island is the world's largest island in a lake, at 1068 square
miles; and Lake Manitou, on the island, is the world's largest lake on an
island in a lake, at 41.09 square miles; and it contains "several islands".

> but do any of those have a lake?

Good question. Looking at an Ontario highway map, I see that only one
island in Lake Manitou is big enough to depict, and it shows as just a
tiny sliver, so it might well have no lakes. But Mindemoya Lake, on
Manitoulin Island just west of Lake Manitou, contains an island that
looks like it's a mile or more long. *That* ought to be big enough to
have at least a pond on it.
--
Mark Brader | "It is always dangerous to send authors to jail.
m...@sq.com | This removes their chief excuse for not writing."

This article is in the public domain.

Jim Cummins

Sep 21, 1994, 1:07:59 AM9/21/94
In article <1994Sep17.0...@sq.sq.com>
m...@sq.sq.com (Mark Brader) writes:

> Newsgroups: alt.folklore.science,rec.puzzles
> From: m...@sq.sq.com (Mark Brader)
> Subject: Re: recursive islands

> > Flipping through my Wisconsin atlas, I find, sure enough, in Green Bay
> > (an arm of Lake Michigan, on a continent) one Chambers Island, on which
> > is a lake, Mackaysee Lake, on which is an island of about 40 meters diameter.

But does any island in a lake have a lake on it with an island?

Jim "I refuse to have a signature" Cummins
<cum...@possum.murdoch.edu.au>

Todd Kevin Goehring

Sep 26, 1994, 4:01:49 PM9/26/94
In Green Bay (an arm of Lake Michigan, on a continent) one Chambers Island,

on which is a lake, Mackaysee Lake, on which is an island of about 40 meters diameter.

Hope this helps.
--TG

Dick Adams

Sep 27, 1994, 7:55:14 PM9/27/94
Someone wrote:
> Does any island in a lake have a lake on it with an island?

Two problems:
1. The question is poorly worded, and
2. Your atlas is of little help.

Someone replied:
>> In Green Bay (an arm of Lake Michigan, on a continent), on Chambers
>> Island there is a lake, Mackaysee Lake, on which there is an island

>> of about 40 meters diameter.

For those of us who have yet to observe any utilitarian value in
converting to the metric system, 40 meters means shallow enough
into center field that you'd expect the short-center fielder to be
under it. For football days, it's the 42 yard line. And for home-boys,
it's three to four city lots wide/

Also try North Manitou Island in Lake Michigan and Bois Blanc Island
in Lake Huron.

Dick

Tim McDonough

Sep 29, 1994, 2:57:30 AM9/29/94
In article <1994Sep27....@ubmail.ubalt.edu> rda...@ubmail.ubalt.edu (Dick Adams) writes:
>Someone wrote:
>> Does any island in a lake have a lake on it with an island?

How about Isle Royale in Lake Superior?!?

-Tim
--
Hewlett Packard - SPR Timothy M. McDonough
16399 W. Bernardo Drive 1350 N. Esc. Blvd. #40

Robert Abell

Sep 30, 1994, 12:44:00 PM9/30/94
Your best bet may be Manitoulin Island in Lake Huron.
I understand it is the largest fresh water island
(island in fresh water) in the world. A quick look
at the map I have shows that it has at least six
lakes: Kongawong Lake, Loon Lake, Silver Lake,
Wolsey Lake, Mindemoya Lake and Manitou Lake.
Kongawong, Mindemoya and Manitou look fairly big and
probably have Islands although I can't see any on
this map.

Robert
------------------------------- Robert Abell -------------------------------
Internet: rab...@spd.dsccc.com (214) 343-4496 (home)
or (214) 519-2714 (work)
ab...@seas.smu.edu

System Operator

Sep 29, 1994, 9:29:38 AM9/29/94
rda...@ubmail.ubalt.edu (Dick Adams) writes:

> Someone wrote:
> > Does any island in a lake have a lake on it with an island?
>

> Also try North Manitou Island in Lake Michigan and Bois Blanc Island
> in Lake Huron.

Ryan Island is the largest island in the largest lake (Siskiwit Lake)
on the largest island (Isle Royale) in the world's largest
freshwater lake (Lake Superior).

Dan

--
sys...@decode.com (System Operator)
Cryptography, Security, Privacy BBS +1 410 730 6734 Data/FAX

Mr. Anand Rao

Oct 3, 1994, 9:43:06 PM10/3/94

: >Someone wrote:
: >> Does any island in a lake have a lake on it with an island?

Taal volcano in the Philippines meets these requirements
..... for the time being, atleast.(The volcano is showing signs of
activity again).
Anand Rao.

Bill Taylor

Oct 5, 1994, 10:35:01 PM10/5/94
What would we ever do on the net if we couldn't nit-pick?

rab...@spd.dsccc.com (Robert Abell) writes:

|> Your best bet may be Manitoulin Island in Lake Huron.
|> I understand it is the largest fresh water island
|> (island in fresh water) in the world.

Actually not. Possibly. Asimov noted that by far and away the largest
freshwater island in the world is ILHA DO MARAJO, the island in the middle
of the mouth of the Amazon, and larger than a good many fairly respectable
countries. To get in a head of the contra-nitpickers, however, I note...

1) as it has its east coast on the Atlantic, it may be considered to contravene
the spirit of the inquiry; (though not the letter, the Amazon has a huge
flow and the sea is freshwater for 100 miles or so from the mouth).

2) it probably wouldn't count as a true island unless the water was (virtually)
at the same level all around it; (this would be a reasonable criterion for
an island, I presume? so that the land between two branches of a splitting
-and-rejoining river wouldn't automatically be called an island).

I'm not sure if Ilha do Marajo satisfies (2) or not. The map doesn't quite
indicate whether the water down the west side is a true channel (with almost
no drop) or just a bit of fast-flowing, falling river.

Maybe some Brazilian poster can clear it up for us?
Bill Taylor w...@math.canterbury.ac.nz
If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared
not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said it.

Matthijs den Otter

Oct 6, 1994, 5:29:57 PM10/6/94
System Operator (sys...@decode.com) wrote:
> rda...@ubmail.ubalt.edu (Dick Adams) writes:

> > Someone wrote:
> > > Does any island in a lake have a lake on it with an island?

The island is smaller than the lake. If the lake is on the island, the
latter island is in an even bigger lake. This lake should be on an even
bigger island etc. Since the earth is limitted in surface, the answer is no.

It works the other way around as well. The size of the lake/island is always
larger then one water molecule.

Matthew.

Simon Orton

Oct 14, 1994, 10:14:46 AM10/14/94

Matthijs den Otter (matt...@stack.urc.tue.nl) writes:

> The island is smaller than the lake. If the lake is on the island, the
> latter island is in an even bigger lake. This lake should be on an even
> bigger island etc. Since the earth is limitted in surface, the answer is no.
>
> It works the other way around as well. The size of the lake/island is always
> larger then one water molecule.
>
> Matthew.

Island A is an island in a lake on which there is a lake with an island.
The land around the outer lake doesn't have to be an island in another lake.

LAND

___________________________________ LAND
/Water Water Water Water Water Water\
LAND /Water Water Water Water Water Water W\
/Water W-------------------------Water W\
/Water W/ \Water W\
/Water W/ Island A \Water W\
|Water W| _______________ |Water W|
|Water W| /Water Water Wat\ |Water W| LAND
| | | Water Water| |Water W|
| Lake | | Lake -----Water | |Water W|
| 1 | | 2 / \Water| |Water W|
LAND | | | |Island |Wate| |Water W|