What is it? (Amateur Version POST09)

leflynn

May 17, 2015, 5:30:45 PM5/17/15
Here is the ninth post in the series. As usual, I will try to answer questions about their composition, size and how they can move. Pictures are provide via dropbox.
L. Flynn

POST09_TOOL33
This metal tool is 9 inches long. It has a spring to keep it in the open position. One jaw has a metal stop and slot. The other jaw has a tab that fits through the slot. The fit is close at the front of the slot but with a tab's width of clearance at the back. The handles are covered in a rubbery red plastic.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y3aq56jjv65i3qv/POST09_TOOL33_PICALL.JPG?dl=0

POST09_TOOL34
This is a metal and plastic tool approximately 17 inches long. It is a long metal bolt attached to a plastic and metal end. If you had it to experiment with, you would quickly determine its use.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cazdf3w1nxpmwwu/POST09_TOOL34_PICALL.JPG?dl=0

POST09_TOOL35
This is a metal tool approximately 6 inches long. It has an expansion spring with the rest position open. The jaws have threaded holes with a 1/4 inch diameter. When I got the tool only one of them had a fitting in it. The fitting has a concave metal surface approximately 1/2 inch in diameter and a plastic outer covering. The companion fitting would have a similar diameter but a different face.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6jfnyqszw9d8ao/POST09_TOOL35_PICALL.JPG?dl=0

POST09_TOOL36
This tool is a metal tool approximately 7 inches long. The handles are covered with plastic. When you close the handles you open the jaws. There is a set screw with a set nut to control how wide the jaws open when the handles are closed. They can range from 0 to 1 inch.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/znmhuabsqyapnr0/POST09_TOOL36_PICALL.JPG?dl=0

Still no answer
POST05_TOOL17
This is a metal tool approximately 8 inches long. The handle is a metal tube but covered in red rubbery plastic.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bftew6dc29w58eu/POST05_TOOL17_PICALL.JPG?dl=0
I do not know what this tool is. My first thought on seeing it was that it is a novelty Giant Bottle Opener but it is overdesigned as it is a strong steel tool with a good quality grip/cover. It could obviously be used to pry off covers (perhaps off of buckets) but the dimensions are not like other examples I've found.

leflynn

May 22, 2015, 4:22:50 PM5/22/15
This is my last post in the series. Thanks for the answers, comments and stories.
L. Flynn

POST09_TOOL33
This metal tool is 9 inches long. It has a spring to keep it in the open position. One jaw has a metal stop and slot. The other jaw has a tab that fits through the slot. The fit is close at the front of the slot but with a tab's width of clearance at the back. The handles are covered in a rubbery red plastic.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y3aq56jjv65i3qv/POST09_TOOL33_PICALL.JPG?dl=0
Red Malco SL5 Vinyl and Aluminum Snap Lock Punch
http://www.amazon.com/Malco-SL5-Vinyl-Aluminum-Punch/dp/B00004SUQX

POST09_TOOL34
This is a metal and plastic tool approximately 17 inches long. It is a long metal bolt attached to a plastic and metal end. If you had it to experiment with, you would quickly determine its use.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cazdf3w1nxpmwwu/POST09_TOOL34_PICALL.JPG?dl=0
Magnetic retrieving tool to get the screw that slipped down inside the door frame.

POST09_TOOL35
This is a metal tool approximately 6 inches long. It has an expansion spring with the rest position open. The jaws have threaded holes with a 1/4 inch diameter. When I got the tool only one of them had a fitting in it. The fitting has a concave metal surface approximately 1/2 inch in diameter and a plastic outer covering. The companion fitting would have a similar diameter but a different face.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6jfnyqszw9d8ao/POST09_TOOL35_PICALL.JPG?dl=0
Grommet/Eyelet Pliers -- similar to this one --
https://goldstartool.com/Eyelet_Setting_Pliers_with_100_Grommets.html

POST09_TOOL36
This tool is a metal tool approximately 7 inches long. The handles are covered with plastic. When you close the handles you open the jaws. There is a set screw with a set nut to control how wide the jaws open when the handles are closed. They can range from 0 to 1 inch.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/znmhuabsqyapnr0/POST09_TOOL36_PICALL.JPG?dl=0
Older version of these VACO Adjustable Snap Ring Pliers with set screw --
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/200864549548?clk_rvr_id=832311009964&rmvSB=true

POST05_TOOL17
This is a metal tool approximately 8 inches long. The handle is a metal tube but covered in red rubbery plastic.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bftew6dc29w58eu/POST05_TOOL17_PICALL.JPG?dl=0
I do not know what this tool is. My first thought on seeing it was that it is a novelty Giant Bottle Opener but it is overdesigned as it is a strong steel tool with a good quality grip/cover. It could obviously be used to pry off covers (perhaps off buckets) but the dimensions are not like other examples I've found.
A new suggestion is that is used to reseal metal lids on buckets.

POST04_TOOL14
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fo4hcwqe2yety3v/POST04_TOOL14_PICALL.JPG?dl=0
A nine inch long metal tool in the adjustable vice grip family. When closed, the jaws form a rounded square with two small semicircular dips on opposite sides. A second opening in the shape of a rectangular slot is also formed.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fo4hcwqe2yety3v/POST04_TOOL14_PICALL.JPG?dl=0
These vice grips
http://www.drumsanders.net/images/pictures/irwin-1078tray-10piece-visegrip-plier-set.jpg
have been altered by welding two pieces to the jaws. They are similar to Vice Grips for crimping brass ferrules --
https://www.eddieswelding.com/3-8-vice-grip-crimper.html

POST03_TOOL10
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pzv2dk1y2shesud/POST03_TOOL10_PICALL.JPG?dl=0
This tool is metal and it is approximately twelve inches long. The pinching ends are shaped like small spoons. When closed, there is still some ability to apply additional pressure but it is not too great as the handles have some give and there is no mechanical advantage.
This is likely a forceps. It looks like the antique Urology Foceps here
http://antiquescientifica.com/urology_forceps_lithotomy_Tiemann.jpg
but it lacks the barbs and is not of good quality stainless steel or nickel.
It may be a pair of chemistry forceps.

leflynn

Feb 18, 2024, 8:23:58 PMFeb 18
> POST05_TOOL17
> This is a metal tool approximately 8 inches long. The handle is a
metal tube but covered in red rubbery plastic.
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/bftew6dc29w58eu/POST05_TOOL17_PICALL.JPG?dl=0
> I do not know what this tool is. My first thought on seeing it was
that it is a novelty Giant Bottle Opener but it is over-designed as it
is a strong steel tool with a good quality grip/cover. It could
obviously be used to pry off covers (perhaps off buckets) but the
dimensions are not like other examples I've found.
> A new suggestion is that is used to reseal metal lids on buckets.

reddit has identified this tool as a car entry/exit assistance lever:

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Auto-Grip-with-Flashlight/dp/B00I5Q0N76

Mine is missing the flashlight.
L. Flynn

Charlie Roberts

Feb 21, 2024, 11:04:07 AMFeb 21
On Sun, 18 Feb 2024 20:23:56 -0500, leflynn <lef...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
Interesting! Never knew they existed. May come in handy
for my mother.

https://lrgv.tx.networkofcare.org/aging/assistive/detail.aspx?id=28695&cid=2041&cn=Car%20Transfer%20Aid&org=