newsreader (in Thunderbird) and eternal-september

henh...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2024, 1:04:54 PMFeb 4

> My access to newsgroups is usually through "news.eternal-september", not Google Groups. Occasionally I will use Google Groups and find that some messages are not being sent through by eternal-september. I do not know why, but often your messages (from "henh" and others) are being filtered out, either by eternal-september, or by my anti-virus software (AVG). Even when I use Google Groups, the browser's user interface does not allow me to scroll to the bottom of some messages (I use the FireFox browser). With Google discontinuing Usenet group support, I will have to depend on using my newsreader (in Thunderbird) and eternal-september for the feed.
>
> -Carl G.

thanks... i 'll check out eternal-september

i 'm not sure what is meant by [ newsreader (in Thunderbird) ]

can Thunderbird get me Usenet (without , e.g. eternal-september )?

bard.google.com >>>

Yes, Thunderbird can access Usenet (without using services like Eternal September), but it requires some additional configuration and may not be straightforward depending on your desired level of anonymity and access method. Here's a breakdown of your options:

1. Paid Usenet Providers:

Pros: Offer the most reliable and anonymous access, typically provide high download speeds, and include features like web interfaces and mobile apps.

Cons: Require a paid subscription, which can be expensive compared to free alternatives.

2. Usenet Indexers and Download Managers:

Pros: Can offer broader access to Usenet content compared to free providers, provide filtering and search functionalities, and may be free or have lower subscription costs than traditional providers.

Cons: May require technical knowledge to set up and configure, might not be completely anonymous depending on the chosen indexer and download manager, and some might have content restrictions or limitations.

3. Self-Hosted Usenet Servers:

Pros: Offer complete control and privacy over your Usenet access, and potentially lower costs if you manage your own server hardware.

Cons: Require significant technical expertise to set up and maintain, incur upfront costs for server hardware and bandwidth, and can be time-consuming to manage.

Additional Notes:

Thunderbird itself only acts as a client and requires additional configuration with any of the above options.

Free access: While options like Eternal September provide free access, they often have limitations like download caps, retention periods, and potential privacy concerns.

Legality: Downloading copyrighted content from Usenet is illegal in many countries. Always ensure you have the proper rights to access any content.
If you'd like to explore specific options further, please provide more details about your priorities:

Budget: Are you willing to pay for a subscription?
Technical expertise: Are you comfortable with technical configurations?
Anonymity: How important is anonymity for your Usenet access?
Content access: Are you looking for specific types of content?
With this information, I can provide more tailored recommendations.

___________________________________ (No, i'm not willing to pay)

Understood, since you're not open to paid options, here are some ways to access Usenet with Thunderbird for free:

Free Usenet Providers:

Limitations: Download caps, lower retention periods, potentially slower speeds, and sometimes stricter content restrictions.

Consider: Astraweb Free (1GB/month), UsenetBucket (10GB/month), Nzbfinder Free (limited searches and downloads).
Usenet Indexers and Download Managers:

Complexity: Requires more technical setup and understanding.
Consider: NZBGet (download manager), NZBFinder (indexer), Jackett (aggregates indexers).

Important Notes:

Limited content: Free options often have restrictions on content type or availability.

Privacy: Free options might not be as anonymous as paid ones.

Legality: Downloading copyrighted content is illegal in many countries. Make sure you have the rights to access any content.

Tips:

Free trials: Some paid providers offer limited free trials you can utilize.
Community forums: Search online communities for recommendations and user experiences with free options.
Content warnings: Be aware of potential malware or copyright infringement risks with free sources.

Ultimately, using free Usenet comes with limitations and potential risks. Weigh the benefits against the drawbacks before proceeding. Remember, downloading copyrighted content is illegal, so ensure you have the proper rights to any content you access.

Carl G

Feb 4, 2024, 1:50:33 PMFeb 4
On Sunday, February 4, 2024 at 10:04:54 AM UTC-8, henh...@gmail.com wrote:
> > My access to newsgroups is usually through "news.eternal-september", not Google Groups. Occasionally I will use Google Groups and find that some messages are not being sent through by eternal-september. I do not know why, but often your messages (from "henh" and others) are being filtered out, either by eternal-september, or by my anti-virus software (AVG). Even when I use Google Groups, the browser's user interface does not allow me to scroll to the bottom of some messages (I use the FireFox browser). With Google discontinuing Usenet group support, I will have to depend on using my newsreader (in Thunderbird) and eternal-september for the feed.
> >
> > -Carl G.
>

> thanks... i 'll check out eternal-september
>
> i 'm not sure what is meant by [ newsreader (in Thunderbird) ]
>
> can Thunderbird get me Usenet (without , e.g. eternal-september )?

Thunderbird supports newsgroup accounts (in addition to email accounts). To get newsgroup messages, you will need Thunderbird to connect to a news server. I use "news.eternal-september.org" for the news server. Go to https://www.eternal-september.org/ for more information. The website is supported by donations. It is text-only (no binaries). To create a newsgroup account in Thunderbird, just use "Add Newsgroup Account" under "Account Actions" in "Account Settings".

BTW, this latest message thread did not appear in my Thunderbird app, so I had to use Google Groups. Something about your messages causes them to be filtered out.

-Carl G.

henh...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2024, 3:49:19 PMFeb 4
thanks... i'm making progress.... (sort of) but i 'm not sure if Thunderbird + eternal-september is the right combination for me.

because..........
i only see some (very few) Alt, Free,... groups (to Subscribe to)

i don't see any Sci, Rec groups (to Subscribe to)

i only see a few (just 2 or 3 (?)) COMP groups like comp.lang.go

henh...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2024, 4:39:25 PMFeb 4
comp.lang.go was created in October or so.

it could be that i'm being allowed to subscribe only to these brand-new groups.

HenHanna

Feb 4, 2024, 4:53:32 PMFeb 4
(posting from Thunderbird)

yes, you're right...

(from Thunderbird) among my Posts to Rec.Puzzles, i only see old ones
from Aug. etc.

Carl G

Feb 4, 2024, 5:20:26 PMFeb 4
In Thunderbird, I initially only saw a few comp.* groups. After refreshing (using the "Refresh" button on the right of the "Subscribe" screen), many dozens of comp.* groups were added (just now). Before refreshing, I saw many sci.*, alt.*, rec.*, groups.

-Carl G.