Rottus' Genius IQ Test

Andreas Rottler

Mar 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/1/98

Hi there !

Do you like puzzles and to compete with others ?!

Then you should try the free "Rottus' Genius IQ Test" at

http://www.uni-siegen.de/cntr/fomaas/mitarb/arott3.html
or
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/4417/index.html

Please do not discuss any puzzle of the test. Thanks.

Rottus

Andreas Rottler
ar...@fb5.uni-siegen.de

Mike Naylor

Mar 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/1/98

Andreas Rottler <ar...@fb5.uni-siegen.de> wrote:
>Do you like puzzles and to compete with others ?!

No, there's a law that forces us to hang out on here rec.puzzles, else we
wouldn't read these messages.

>Then you should try the free "Rottus' Genius IQ Test" at

>Please do not discuss any puzzle of the test. Thanks.

Like Hell we won't! When you present a "test" to rec.puzzles readers, you
had better expect to have your own intelligence critically evaluated.

(Here's the second question, folks. Doesn't it look familiar?)

>Four persons are standing in front of a canyon. The only
>bridge can carry only two persons at once. Because of
>the darkness the persons have to use a torch.
>Unfortunately there is only one torch.

(and so on.)

Here's number 15:
>Once upon a time there was a mighty and wise wizard who was
>looking for a new student. Because he didn't like the idea
>to tell someone stupid the secrets of magic he created the
>following test. He took 12 coins which looked all the same.
>One of these coins had a slightly different weight.

(You know the rest. Remember, Andreas Rottler doesn't want us to discuss
this. Come to think of it, I don't want us to discuss it again either.)

There are some interesting puzzles on this web site, but I think they need
to be examined by us along with their supposedly "correct" answers, before
they are perhaps unfairly used to evaluated the intelligence of others.

--
Mike Naylor - myfirstname...@mail.serve.com
Play Five by Five Poker at http://www.serve.com/games/

Matthew Daly

Mar 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/2/98

I'll never forget the time that you.kn...@you.love.him (Mike Naylor)
said:

>(You know the rest. Remember, Andreas Rottler doesn't want us to discuss
>this. Come to think of it, I don't want us to discuss it again either.)

So, we're in agreement? :-)

>There are some interesting puzzles on this web site, but I think they need
>to be examined by us along with their supposedly "correct" answers, before
>they are perhaps unfairly used to evaluated the intelligence of others.

<giggle> Yup, someone might be denied employment or adequate housing due
to not having a sufficiently high IQ, as measured by Andreas Rottler.

-Matthew

Jim P. Ferry

Mar 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/2/98

In article <34fed14e....@news.gate.net>, you.kn...@you.love.him (Mike Naylor) writes:

|> Andreas Rottler <ar...@fb5.uni-siegen.de> wrote:
|>
|> >Then you should try the free "Rottus' Genius IQ Test" at
|>
|> >http://www.uni-siegen.de/cntr/fomaas/mitarb/arott3.html
|> >or
|> >http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/4417/index.html
|>
|> (Here's the second question, folks. Doesn't it look familiar?)
|>
|> >Four persons are standing in front of a canyon. The only
|> >bridge can carry only two persons at once. Because of
|> >the darkness the persons have to use a torch.
|> >Unfortunately there is only one torch.
|>
|> Here's number 15:
|> >Once upon a time there was a mighty and wise wizard who was
|> >looking for a new student. Because he didn't like the idea
|> >to tell someone stupid the secrets of magic he created the
|> >following test. He took 12 coins which looked all the same.
|> >One of these coins had a slightly different weight.
|>
|> There are some interesting puzzles on this web site, but I think they need
|> to be examined by us along with their supposedly "correct" answers, before
|> they are perhaps unfairly used to evaluated the intelligence of others.

Actually Andreas doesn't assign IQ scores despite the title of his test,
a title which is nevertheless appropriate since it is a test of IQ genre
(as opposed to driving genre, say). The two cited problems are the least
original on the test, and quite familiar to the rec.puzzles crowd I'm sure,
but how solicitous of him to thereby offer this crowd a two-point headstart.

Ever since I discovered Darryl Miyaguchi's "Uncommonly Difficult I.Q. Tests"
page, http://www.eskimo.com/~miyaguch/hoeflin.html, I've been chewing on
several of these tests. The advertised test is my favorite after the
Hoeflin tests (though my taste seems to correlate suspiciously with how well
I do: if I can't do a problem, well then, it's a stupid problem, eh?).
Furthermore, it has the attractive features of being free and of allowing
the piecemeal submission of answers.

Matthew Daly wrote:
|> <giggle> Yup, someone might be denied employment or adequate housing due
|> to not having a sufficiently high IQ, as measured by Andreas Rottler.

My guess is that he doesn't assign IQ scores because he's worried about
people being denied police jobs for having too high an IQ (e.g., cops
aren't allowed to say "torii").

-Jim Ferry