ASCWC 261 announcement

Luciano Ward

Apr 8, 2021, 12:05:33 AM4/8/21
Many thanks to Kevin for running the previous contest.

For ASCWC 261, please submit up to three cryptic clues for:

RIGHTEOUS (9)

The deadline is just before midnight, your time, Wednesday, April 14.

Luciano

Rob

Apr 8, 2021, 11:59:29 AM4/8/21
Upright is tougher when realigned (9)

David A

Apr 8, 2021, 4:05:16 PM4/8/21
On Thursday, April 8, 2021 at 1:35:33 AM UTC-2:30, Luciano Ward wrote:

Lofty pull! Flying grouse hit! (9)

Duke

Apr 9, 2021, 8:34:29 PM4/9/21
American leader Tiger (oh, so sad) is excellent (9)

Luciano Ward

Apr 13, 2021, 4:03:39 PM4/13/21
But a day and a bit to go...

Luciano

wa...@math.uchicago.edu

Apr 13, 2021, 8:11:38 PM4/13/21
Noble doth beseech beloved maiden endlessly to return (9)
Just fix most of dwelling Lawrence inhabits (9)
Retrogressively said anger of this kind is moral (9)

Kevin Wald wa...@math.uchicago.edu | Retrogressively said Lawrence
http://www.math.uchicago.edu/~wald | embraces cryptic constructor (4)

Duke

Apr 14, 2021, 8:26:38 PM4/14/21
Singing brothers fighting against sin (9)
Perhaps surprisingly, huge riots become justified (9)

Luciano Ward

Apr 15, 2021, 9:56:34 AM4/15/21
Thanks to all for your righteous clues. My interpretations are below. Please comment, if necessary.

Luciano

----------

Rob:

Upright is tougher when realigned (9)
ISTOUGHER anag: def = upright

----------

David:

Lofty pull! Flying grouse hit! (9)
GROUSEHIT anag; def = lofty; not sure what 'pull' is doing

----------

Duke:

American leader Tiger (oh, so sad) is excellent (9)
TIGEROH anag + US; def = excellent;

Singing brothers fighting against sin (9)
Double def; ref The Righteous Bothers

Perhaps surprisingly, huge riots become justified (9)
HUGERIOTS anag; def = justified

----------

Kevin:

Noble doth beseech beloved maiden endlessly to return (9)
SUETH with O (love) inside (= 'beloved') + GIR(l) all rev; def = noble

Just fix most of dwelling Lawrence inhabits (9)
RIG + [TE in HOUS(e)]; def = just

Retrogressively said anger of this kind is moral (9)
'SUCH IRE' said backwards; def = moral; ref 'righteous anger'

David A

Apr 16, 2021, 4:19:25 PM4/16/21

David:
Lofty pull! Flying grouse hit! (9)
GROUSEHIT anag; def = lofty; not sure what 'pull' is doing

"Lofty pull" is my definition of "RIGHTEOUS" because that sort of person is often one of influence and a crowd-puller.

David A

Apr 16, 2021, 6:34:01 PM4/16/21
... and, of course, the 'pull' of the trigger when one raises one's rifle skywards!

Luciano Ward

Apr 25, 2021, 12:05:34 PM4/25/21
Sorry for the delay. I'll get the result out within a couple of days.

Luciano

Luciano Ward

Apr 28, 2021, 10:13:14 AM4/28/21
Repeated thanks to all entrants. My comments are below. The result is belowest.

Luciano

----------

Rob:

Upright is tougher when realigned (9)
ISTOUGHER anag: def = upright
-- 'tougher' seems a bit of a slightly odd way to describe what I presume is now (after realignment) a *stronger* upright. That aside, all is good, here. (PS: in my experience, most uprights (at least in the sense of football/soccer goalposts) are very sturdy and unrelenting, not least when you collide with them legs apart and at some speed on a raw Saturday morning in February.)

----------

David:

Lofty pull! Flying grouse hit! (9)
GROUSEHIT anag; def = lofty; not sure what 'pull' is doing
-- David refers to a sort of person as justification for 'lofty pull' being his definition. However, the answer is an adjective. I could, just, go along with 'the righteous' (as in righteous people), but that still really wouldn't justify 'lofty pull' (not people, but a person) as a definition. To be honest, without the word 'pull', I think this could have been manipulated into a winner: I like the 'lofty' and 'grouse' association.

----------

Duke:

American leader Tiger (oh, so sad) is excellent (9)
TIGEROH anag + US; def = excellent
-- The indication that the anagram fodder should be placed in front of US (that indication being the word 'leader') doesn't seem acceptable to me. Also: for me, the definition ('excellent') doesn't have that moral thrust to it.

Singing brothers fighting against sin (9)
Double def; ref The Righteous Bothers
-- Apart from the rather odd surface reading (though you might have a movie, there), this is just fine.

Perhaps surprisingly, huge riots become justified (9)
HUGERIOTS anag; def = justified
-- I would perhaps have left 'perhaps' out: it doesn't really help. That aside, this works pretty well, with a definition that just scrapes in there with its moral tenor.

----------

Kevin:

Noble doth beseech beloved maiden endlessly to return (9)
SUETH with O (love) inside (= 'beloved') + GIR(l) all rev; def = noble
-- Very good with the 'sueth' business. I would argue that to be 'beloved' does not mean that you contain love, but, rather, that you are the object of love (which of course does not necessarily mean that you contain love).

Just fix most of dwelling Lawrence inhabits (9)
RIG + [TE in HOUS(e)]; def = just
-- All good, here, besides the small complaint that it's not a terribly thrilling surface reading.

Retrogressively said anger of this kind is moral (9)
'SUCH IRE' said backwards; def = moral; ref 'righteous anger'
-- Homophones can be risky. Not every source I looked at confirmed, for example, that the last syllable of 'righteous' corresponds to 'such' backwards (some did). The Glaswegian in me says that 'righteous' and the backwards 'such ire' are not so similar: the vowel sounds 'i' in 'ire' and the 'igh' in 'right' are quite different to my ear (and mouth), and I also distinctly pronounce that 't' in 'righteous'. Parochial of me, I know. However, for some speakers (and some sources), this a good find.

I'm going to be a bore and declare Kevin's Lawrence clue the winner. There were more adventurous clues, but I had my quibbles about them all. The runner-up is Rob because of somewhat painful nostalgia.