ASCWC 262 announcement

wa...@math.uchicago.edu

May 13, 2021, 2:25:10 PM5/13/21

Many thanks to Luciano for running the previous contest, and for picking
my clue. (And sorry for the delay.)

For ASCWC 262, please submit up to three cryptic clues for:

CHRYSANTHEMUM (9)

(Bonus clues as always are welcome). The deadline is the end of Monday,
May 24, in your time zone.

Thanks,
Kevin Wald wa...@math.uchicago.edu | Time-traveling
http://www.math.uchicago.edu/~wald | dynamo (6)

Rob

May 14, 2021, 8:17:17 AM5/14/21
Flower produced by wild thyme amid boiling March sun (13)

(I think your enumeration has been pruned, Kevin!)

wa...@math.uchicago.edu

May 14, 2021, 8:11:34 PM5/14/21
On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 8:17:17 AM UTC-4, Rob wrote:
> Flower produced by wild thyme amid boiling March sun (13)
>
> (I think your enumeration has been pruned, Kevin!)

Oops. Yeah, it should be CHRYSANTHEMUM (13), unless you can
find an ingenious way to spell CHRYSANTHEMUM with only 9 letters.

Kevin Wald wa...@math.uchicago.edu | A green man's misspelled
http://www.math.uchicago.edu/~wald | nine-letter sequence (9)

Duke

May 16, 2021, 3:26:14 PM5/16/21
Wavering cry and hums around song regarding big Japanese chair (13)

Duke

Jul 17, 2021, 11:50:06 AM7/17/21
I’m prepared to give Rob the win in this one.

Duke

Aug 16, 2021, 6:05:27 PM8/16/21
On Saturday, July 17, 2021 at 8:50:06 AM UTC-7, Duke wrote:
> I’m prepared to give Rob the win in this one.
Okay. It's time for the final judgment. Let's run down the clues.
From Rob:

Flower produced by wild thyme amid boiling March sun (13)
Anagram ("produced by wild") of THYME with anagram ("boiling") of MARCHSUN

Beautiful, poetic surface. We could use some of that heat in March where I live. My only quibble is that I expect the anagram of THYME to be inside -- amid -- the MARCHSUN one, whereas the Y needs to migrate. Still, a strong effort.

From Duke:
Wavering cry and hums around song regarding big Japanese chair (13)

Anagram ("wavering") of CRYHUMS surrounding ANTHEM; the "big Japanese chair" is, of course, the Chrysanthemum Throne occupied by that country's emperor.
Nice try at an inventive definition. The wordplay works but the surface is uninspiring -- we would say "humming" there, I think.

So the winner is....Rob! Congratulations. But unless he jumps in in the next day or so, I will seize the mantle and offer up the next ASCWC.

Duke