ASCWC 264 announcement

Luciano Ward

Sep 17, 2021, 1:16:17 PM9/17/21
Many thanks to Duke for running the previous contest.

For ASCWC 264, please submit up to three cryptic clues for:

DELTA VARIANT (5,7)

The deadline is just before midnight, your time, Friday, September 24.

Luciano

Duke

Sep 19, 2021, 9:33:20 AM9/19/21
> DELTA VARIANT (5,7)
Big mouth from Mississippi, maybe, changing regarding recent killer? (5, 7)

Mark Iredell

Sep 19, 2021, 12:40:13 PM9/19/21
To many ducking the jab, a death blow is dealt? (5,7)

David A

Sep 20, 2021, 9:43:57 AM9/20/21
". . . or NOT to be" belated confusion everywhere it seems to this dreadful development (5,7)

Duke

Sep 24, 2021, 10:04:40 PM9/24/21
New problem emerging when interval data reclassified (5, 7)

Duke

Sep 26, 2021, 7:30:44 PM9/26/21
Dangerous but ignored threat attired, naval-style (5, 7)

Luciano Ward

Sep 28, 2021, 11:55:01 AM9/28/21
Sorry for the delay. Will get the clue list out soon.

Luciano

Luciano Ward

Oct 2, 2021, 11:27:39 AM10/2/21
Thanks to those who submitted clues for this.

My interpretations are below. Please comment, if necessary.

Luciano

-----------

Duke:

Big mouth from Mississippi, maybe, changing regarding recent killer? (5, 7)
Big mouth, etc. = DELTA; changing = VARIANT; def = recent killer

New problem emerging when interval data reclassified (5, 7)
INTERVALDATA anag; def = new problem

Dangerous but ignored threat attired, naval-style (5, 7)
ATTIREDNAVAL anag; def = dangerous but ignored threat

----------

Mark:

To many ducking the jab, a death blow is dealt? (5,7)
DEALT = DELTA 'VARIANT'; entire clue alludes to answer

----------

David:

". . . or NOT to be" belated confusion everywhere it seems to this dreadful development (5,7)
BELATED anag minus BE = DELTA, with 'confusion' serving as anag indicator as well as pointer to VARIANT(?); def = this dreadful development?; not sure what 'everywhere it seems' is doing.

Mark Iredell

Oct 2, 2021, 9:11:45 PM10/2/21
On Saturday, October 2, 2021 at 11:27:39 AM UTC-4, Luciano Ward wrote:
> Mark:
> To many ducking the jab, a death blow is dealt? (5,7)
> DEALT = DELTA 'VARIANT'; entire clue alludes to answer

The intent was a little more conventional with "to many ducking the jab, a death blow" being the definition.

David A

Oct 3, 2021, 9:05:49 PM10/3/21
"everywhere" alludes to Hamlet's "sea of troubles" and Coleridge's "water, water everywhere" seemingly!

Luciano Ward

Oct 9, 2021, 10:54:09 AM10/9/21
Both results out tomorrow.

Regards,

Luciano

Luciano Ward

Oct 12, 2021, 10:32:34 AM10/12/21
Repeated thanks to those who submitted clues for this.

My opinions are below. The winner is revealed at the end.

Luciano

-----------

Duke:

Big mouth from Mississippi, maybe, changing regarding recent killer? (5, 7)
Big mouth, etc. = DELTA; changing = VARIANT; def = recent killer
-- The two indicators for DELTA and VARIANT aren't that cryptic. The surface reading, I presume, alludes to vociferous doubters re the virus, its guises and its avoidance, but it isn't terribly elegant.

New problem emerging when interval data reclassified (5, 7)
INTERVALDATA anag; def = new problem
-- A very good find with 'interval data', which is/are a real thing, I find. The definition, while relevant now, is a bit vague generally.

Dangerous but ignored threat attired, naval-style (5, 7)
ATTIREDNAVAL anag; def = dangerous but ignored threat
-- Not a huge fan of the way the anagram is indicated. Not quite sure what to make of the surface reading. The definition, as with the previous clue, is a bit vague.

----------

Mark:

To many ducking the jab, a death blow is dealt? (5,7)
DEALT = DELTA 'VARIANT'; def = to many ducking the jab, a death blow
-- I'm not the hugest fan of using an implied anagram indicator as part of the definition, but I have seen it in many another clue. The reference to 'jab' gives the definition some specificity (cf Duke's previous two clues).

David:

". . . or NOT to be" belated confusion everywhere it seems to this dreadful development (5,7)
BELATED anag minus BE = DELTA, with 'confusion' serving as anag indicator as well as pointer to VARIANT(?); as per David: "everywhere" alludes to Hamlet's "sea of troubles" and Coleridge's "water, water everywhere" seemingly!
-- I'm not sure how the allusions serve the clue or help the solver.

My winner is Mark. Duke and his interval data is/are second.