Word for "relating to clouds"

Charlie Roberts

Mar 13, 2023, 10:27:51 AM3/13/23

I have been trying to track down a word that can be
used for the phrase "relatiing to clouds". Not sure
that this is quite an adjective, but the kind of word
I am looking for is similar to

cat -> feline
cow -> bovine
day -> dinural
river -> riparian
tree(s) -> arboreal
wind -> aeolian
etc.

clouds -> ???

Looks like Zeus/Jupiter was the god related to
clouds and so there may not be a one. OTOH,
there is Nephele in Greek mythology and I
wonder if there is a word derived from that.

thanks
CR

Ammammata

Mar 14, 2023, 4:02:53 AM3/14/23
Charlie Roberts has brought this to us :
> OTOH,
> there is Nephele in Greek mythology and I
> wonder if there is a word derived from that.

something like Selene for the moon?

--
/-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
-=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=-

Peter Wanker

Mar 14, 2023, 10:53:49 AM3/14/23
On Tue, 14 Mar 2023 09:02:49 +0100, Ammammata <amma...@tiscali.it>
wrote:

>Charlie Roberts has brought this to us :
>> OTOH,
>> there is Nephele in Greek mythology and I
>> wonder if there is a word derived from that.
>
>something like Selene for the moon?

I am not sure about that one. For the moon
the word that I mean is "lunar". Selene, I
believe, is just another fancy name for
the moon based on mythology.

What I am in search of is closer to an
adjective and in some of the examples I
gave, the "relating or referring to ..."
word is pretty much an adjective. Not so in
some cases.

That reminds me. Having got used to the
Queen Bee in NYT, I have not figured out
the difference between "laic" and "laical".
Both of these are allowed as answers ....
and, of course, are in the dictionary. They
are part of a nice chain if you are into the
puzzle: laic, laical, illiac, cilia, lilac. Five
words as soon as one spots C, I, A and L.
Of course, acai and acacia are part of the
subset, which you get as soon as you see
CIA!

In any case, are "laic" and "laical" both
adjectives? Or, is there a difference?

Mark Iredell

Apr 1, 2023, 7:42:46 AM4/1/23
Maybe "nubilous" is the word you want.

See its use in this article where the author does some "nubilous musing" about clouds:
https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12141499.we-really-dont-know-clouds-at-all-look-up-theyre-always-there-look-further-and-you-will-find-a-world-of-inspiration-says-andy-drought/

Luciano Ward

Apr 1, 2023, 12:09:42 PM4/1/23
Mark:

Just chanced to wander into rec.puzzles.crosswords. Good to see that you're up and running. And good to see you referencing my home city's newspaper.

Regards,

Luciano

Mark Iredell

Apr 3, 2023, 9:49:05 AM4/3/23
Very good to hear from you, Luciano! I also randomly dropped by on April 1. If you feel like it, could you drop me a line at the answer to this crappy clue:

I literally do tire Della with randomly lit mag dotcom (22, including punctuation marks)

Cheers!
Mark

Ammammata

Apr 4, 2023, 2:43:31 AM4/4/23
Peter Wanker pretended :
> On Tue, 14 Mar 2023 09:02:49 +0100, Ammammata <amma...@tiscali.it>
> wrote:
>
>> Charlie Roberts has brought this to us :
>>> OTOH,
>>> there is Nephele in Greek mythology and I
>>> wonder if there is a word derived from that.
>>
>> something like Selene for the moon?
>
> I am not sure about that one. For the moon
> the word that I mean is "lunar". Selene, I
> believe, is just another fancy name for
> the moon based on mythology.

From Selene, in Italian, we have:

Seleniti, that's a sci-fi lunar lifeform

Selenite, a mineral, see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selenite_(mineral): It is found in nature
in the form of transparent translucent flakes that are crossed by
light, this characteristic gives rise to its name, in fact thanks to
the use that the Greeks made of it for the manufacture of transparent
plates that had the function of glass, still unknown, from which shone
a light similar to that of the moon (σεληνη selene in Greek). For this
reason it is also known by the name of moonstone.

Steve = : ^ )

Apr 23, 2023, 2:22:25 AM4/23/23
Ha! I accidentally hit the r.p.c. bookmark instead of the adjacent CCCWC one ... and I find a conversation! All is not lost. Mark, I waited till I had something worthy to submit to Another Simple Clue Writing Culmination, edition #273 and, well, I'm still waiting.

Luciano congratulations on winning the Feb. comp at CCCWC.

Stay safe,
Steve = : ^ )

HenHanna

Feb 6, 2024, 5:16:07 PMFeb 6
"Nubious" is indeed an adjective related to clouds. It specifically
means cloudy, foggy, or misty.

Latin noun: litus, litoris (genitive)
Latin adjective: littoralis (alternative spelling: lītorālis)
English adjective: littoral (first recorded in 1650-60)
English noun: littoral (first recorded in the early 19th century)
Additional details:

The doubled "t" in "littoral" is a late medieval innovation.
Some sources still use the spelling "litoral," considered more classical.

____________________________________

The meaning of "Nuvoletta" depends on the context in which it's used.
Here are the two most common meanings:

1. Italian Word:

In Italian, "nuvoletta" is a feminine noun meaning "little cloud" or
"puff". It can also figuratively refer to a thought bubble or speech bubble.

2. Character in Finnegans Wake:

In James Joyce's novel "Finnegans Wake," Nuvoletta is a young woman
whose name reflects her dual nature:

Literally: She represents a child observing the world around her.
Figuratively: She embodies a cloud, symbolizing fluidity, impermanence,
and the ever-changing nature of thoughts and emotions.

Charlie Roberts

Feb 9, 2024, 12:50:03 PMFeb 9
On Tue, 6 Feb 2024 14:16:03 -0800, HenHanna <HenH...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 4/1/2023 4:42 AM, Mark Iredell wrote:
>> Maybe "nubilous" is the word you want.
>>
>> See its use in this article where the author does some "nubilous musing" about clouds:
>> https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12141499.we-really-dont-know-clouds-at-all-look-up-theyre-always-there-look-further-and-you-will-find-a-world-of-inspiration-says-andy-drought/
>

>"Nubious" is indeed an adjective related to clouds. It specifically
>means cloudy, foggy, or misty.
>

>Latin noun: litus, litoris (genitive)
>Latin adjective: littoralis (alternative spelling: l?tor?lis)
>English adjective: littoral (first recorded in 1650-60)
>English noun: littoral (first recorded in the early 19th century)
>Additional details:
>
>The doubled "t" in "littoral" is a late medieval innovation.
>Some sources still use the spelling "litoral," considered more classical.
>
>____________________________________
>
>The meaning of "Nuvoletta" depends on the context in which it's used.
>Here are the two most common meanings:
>
>1. Italian Word:
>
>In Italian, "nuvoletta" is a feminine noun meaning "little cloud" or
>"puff". It can also figuratively refer to a thought bubble or speech bubble.
>
>2. Character in Finnegans Wake:
>
>In James Joyce's novel "Finnegans Wake," Nuvoletta is a young woman
>whose name reflects her dual nature:
>
>Literally: She represents a child observing the world around her.
>Figuratively: She embodies a cloud, symbolizing fluidity, impermanence,
>and the ever-changing nature of thoughts and emotions.

Thanks to your of you. (Mark, I filter out Google groups, but I did
see your note -- thanks for the link!!).

One more "off the road" word down!