ASCWC 270: clue SWING by end of January

瀏覽次數:52 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Bob Nichols

未讀,
2022年1月24日 下午6:56:302022/1/24
收件者:
Thanks to Duke for running ASCWC 269, and to Steve for explaining the
intended construction of my second clue.

For ASCWC 270, please submit up to three clues for

SWING

The deadline is the end of January.

--
Bob Nichols
(for e-mail remove .invalid)

Mark Iredell

未讀,
2022年1月25日 上午8:24:182022/1/25
收件者:
Sleep around noon, steeped in drink (5)

David A

未讀,
2022年1月26日 下午6:19:342022/1/26
收件者:
I'll be hanged! (5)

Bob Nichols

未讀,
2022年2月1日 上午9:11:362022/2/1
收件者:
Thanks to both entrants for their clues for SWING. I don't think that I
need any clarification, so I'll go straight to the results:

Mark Iredell:
Sleep around noon, steeped in drink (5)

definition: "sleep around"
SWI(N)G: N (noon) contained (steeped) in SWIG (drink)

A good definition, straightforward wordplay, and an amusing surface
(although I'm not quite clear what "sleep around noon" might mean).
I like that "around" looks like it's associated with "noon" at first
glance, disguising the definition.

David A:
I'll be hanged! (5)

cryptic definition

This doesn't work. "To be hanged" could certainly clue "to swing", but
"I'll be hanged" clues a noun: A swing could be hung, but not hanged.

The winner is Mark, once he has sobered up.
--
Bob Nichols | I forget they are working
(for e-mail remove .invalid) | for a new age (4,2,3,5)

David A

未讀,
2022年2月5日 下午1:23:222022/2/5
收件者:
I take issue! It means, I'll swing. Plenty agree with me!
0 則新訊息