A "blank" of lemmings

James J. Herlburt

Jan 28, 1995, 9:59:01 PM1/28/95

Okay, I know you can have a pod of whales, a pack of wolves and a
murder of crows but does anyone know what a groups of lemmings would be
called?

A "blank" of lemmings.

It's driving me up the wall. I've tried James Lipton's wonderful book
"An Exaltation of Larks" which contains a listing of thousands of group
names but lemmings are not mentioned in the index.

Any help you can give would be most welcome.

James J. Hurlburt - - jjh3...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

Becky Swann

Jan 29, 1995, 3:37:17 AM1/29/95
jjh3...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (James J. Herlburt) wrote:

> Okay, I know you can have a pod of whales, a pack of wolves and a
> murder of crows but does anyone know what a groups of lemmings would be
> called?
> A "blank" of lemmings.

It's got to be a suicide of lemmings! But, I'm just guessing.
I'll see what I can find in my library.

Becky

William Matthew Carlyle

Jan 30, 1995, 12:32:59 AM1/30/95
In article <3gf09l$h...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>,

James J. Herlburt <jjh3...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> wrote:

>Okay, I know you can have a pod of whales, a pack of wolves and a
>murder of crows but does anyone know what a groups of lemmings would be
>called?
>
>A "blank" of lemmings.
>
>It's driving me up the wall. I've tried James Lipton's wonderful book
>"An Exaltation of Larks" which contains a listing of thousands of group
>names but lemmings are not mentioned in the index.

How about a "drove" of lemmings? (This is by no means an authoritative or,
for that matter, reference-work-supported answer. I just immediately
think of the phrase "driven off a cliff.")

later,
-Matt

Matt Carlyle | "Triangle man hates particle man."
mcar...@leland.stanford.edu | -TMBG

Michael Scott

Jan 31, 1995, 1:58:35 AM1/31/95
In article <3ghtmb$5...@elaine25.Stanford.EDU>,

mcar...@leland.Stanford.EDU (William Matthew Carlyle) wrote:
> How about a "drove" of lemmings? (This is by no means an authoritative or,
> for that matter, reference-work-supported answer. I just immediately
> think of the phrase "driven off a cliff.")

...or maybe a plunge of lemmings?

Donald Macleod

Jan 31, 1995, 6:01:31 AM1/31/95
> James J. Herlburt <jjh3...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> wrote:
> >
> >Okay, I know you can have a pod of whales, a pack of wolves and a
> >murder of crows but does anyone know what a groups of lemmings would be
> >called?
> >
> >A "blank" of lemmings.

A plague of lemmings...

P.S. That is a guess, the real word is more likely to be Scandinavian
than English (or are there lemmings in English-speaking countries?)

Donald
Cambridge, UK

Samuel E. Buttrey

Jan 31, 1995, 10:55:31 AM1/31/95
The myth that lemmings plunge <en masse> over a cliff -- or that they commit
mass suicide in other ways, like drowning -- is apparently just that, a myth.
It was created (one hears) by Walt Disney's brother, who thought it made a
cool visual effect. That this is all a myth is apparently well known to
biologists (any out there?), but not to the common person (indeed, my Webster's
Collegiate makes reference to it).

Therefore, I propose "a slander of lemmings."

Sam Buttrey
but...@stat.berkeley.edu

Iain G Liddell

Feb 1, 1995, 3:48:18 AM2/1/95
For anyone with Warwickshire connections, it's got to be

"A Spa of Lemmings"

Iain

pelican

Feb 1, 1995, 9:38:52 AM2/1/95

William Matthew Carlyle <mcar...@leland.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
>In article <3gf09l$h...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>,
>James J. Herlburt <jjh3...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>>
>>Okay, I know you can have a pod of whales, a pack of wolves and a
>>murder of crows but does anyone know what a groups of lemmings would be
>>called?
>>
>>A "blank" of lemmings.
>>
>>It's driving me up the wall. I've tried James Lipton's wonderful book
>>"An Exaltation of Larks" which contains a listing of thousands of group
>>names but lemmings are not mentioned in the index.
>>

>How about a "drove" of lemmings? (This is by no means an authoritative or,
>for that matter, reference-work-supported answer. I just immediately
>think of the phrase "driven off a cliff.")

Pelican: I'd suggest a "pie" or lemmings, or perhaps an "ade" of lemmings.

:-)

Debbie Johnston

Feb 2, 1995, 6:17:47 PM2/2/95
>In article <3gf09l$h...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>,
>James J. Herlburt <jjh3...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>>
>>Okay, I know you can have a pod of whales, a pack of wolves and a
>>murder of crows but does anyone know what a groups of lemmings would be
>>called?

I belive the word you are looking for is a "leap" of lemmings. I have
not been able to locate the exact reference in any book, but from doing
previous crosswords, the word "leap" rings a bell. One of the other
people who work here suggested a "squeeze" of lemmings, a reference to a
"Monty Python" movie :) Hope this helps.

Tony Sever

Feb 3, 1995, 6:21:22 PM2/3/95
In article <3grp6r$3...@io.innovplace.saskatoon.sk.ca>
John...@nhrisv.nhrc.sk.doe.ca "Debbie Johnston" writes:

According to Brewer it's a "leap" of leopards, but I have to admit a
"leap" of lemmings sounds entirely appropriate.
--
J A (Tony) Sever (to...@sevspc.demon.co.uk)

Graham Cairns

Feb 3, 1995, 8:20:37 PM2/3/95

A Cascade of lemmings, perhaps?

|gca...@mtpost.apana.org.au ((|)) Fidonet via 3:800/827.7|
|PO Box 9052, West Gambier, ^ South Australia 5291|
| ^^^^^ |
|Communications trainer, broadcaster, journalist & all-round nice bloke!|

jwba...@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2018, 1:41:40 PM2/11/18
A slice of lemmings

David A

Feb 11, 2018, 8:15:12 PM2/11/18
What about a head-smashed-in buffalo jump of lemmings?

Rock

Feb 12, 2018, 1:54:01 AM2/12/18
A bit of haiku:

Zombie thread. Lemmings.
Murder? Mercy!!! Plunge? Mersey???
Suicide? Merci!!!

Rock

David A

Feb 12, 2018, 3:26:01 PM2/12/18
Add exultation to that along with a lark-full!

David A

Feb 12, 2018, 4:04:33 PM2/12/18
couple more: a grand mal, or malaise

David A

Feb 12, 2018, 4:06:28 PM2/12/18
ooh! a consternation!

David A

Feb 12, 2018, 9:00:16 PM2/12/18
a calamity of lemmings! Is there a prize for this?!

Eric Fielding

Jul 2, 2018, 1:41:12 PM7/2/18
test

Steve

Jul 27, 2018, 10:14:36 PM7/27/18
Eric Fielding <dartmou...@gmail.com> wrote:
> test

Also a test.

David A

Jul 28, 2018, 8:48:53 AM7/28/18
A hara kiri of lemmings

Richard Lamson

Feb 18, 2021, 2:08:15 PM2/18/21
A leap of lemmings! :)

Richard Lamson

Feb 18, 2021, 2:10:31 PM2/18/21
On Saturday, July 28, 2018 at 8:48:53 AM UTC-4, David A wrote:
> A hara kiri of lemmings
A LEAP of Lemmings!

Paul Boudreau

Oct 22, 2021, 2:24:54 PM10/22/21