alternatives to GG and NovaBBS ?

HenHanna

Feb 20, 2024, 2:02:54 PMFeb 20

Maybe there are a few more (similar) alternatives to NovaBBS, but...

(Mr.) Marco Moock listed only NovaBBS as an example (see below),
so i'm not going to worry too much.

using NovaBBS, Can i subscribe to a Thread (as in GG) ?

Can i cross-post ???

From: Marco Moock <...>
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english

Hello!

This is only relevant for those people who read or post in that
newsgroup using Google Groups.

Google will discontinue Groups in 2 days.

For those who do not know Usenet: -- Usenet is a
distributed communication system consisting of many servers. Google
Groups is only one of them that closes down - other servers will stay
available, but people need to use another server to read and post here.

There are 2 alternatives:

(1) Using a web-based Usenet interface:
Those behave similar to Google Groups, you can read
there, but for posting you need to register an account for free.

One of them is:
https://www.novabbs.com/interests/thread.php?group=alt.usage.english

(2) .................. (e.g.) ES + TB

Marco Moock

Feb 20, 2024, 2:44:33 PMFeb 20

https://cmacleod.me.uk/newsgrouper

--
kind regards
Marco

Send spam to muel...@cartoonies.org

HenHanna

Feb 20, 2024, 5:05:51 PMFeb 20
i'm noticing that NovaBBS doesn't carry Sci.Lang.Translation

> Maybe there are a few more (similar) alternatives to NovaBBS, but...
https://cmacleod.me.uk/newsgrouper

Thank you...

i can't use it because the site makes the entire screen Blidingly-Bright White

Retro Guy

Feb 20, 2024, 6:45:28 PMFeb 20
On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 22:01:14 +0000, HenHanna wrote:

> i'm noticing that NovaBBS doesn't carry Sci.Lang.Translation

Maybe ask the admin (me) to add it.

HenHanna

Feb 20, 2024, 7:30:56 PMFeb 20
Thanks! Maybe i(me) will do that later.

NovaBBS is really fast... it reminds me of how fast and pleasant PC's were, back in the 1990's when i was using MSDOS (sometimes) and green CRT monitors.

back in the day when everything was Text-based.

aaaaaa
bbbbbb
xxxxxx
iiiiii
mmmmmm
wwwwww ----------- and i like the [Retro Look] of the Fixed-width characters....

which kind-of explains your username (or HandleName) [Retro Guy]

HenHanna

Feb 20, 2024, 7:46:13 PMFeb 20
> Maybe there are a few more (similar) alternatives to NovaBBS, but...
https://cmacleod.me.uk/newsgrouper

Thank you... i can't use it because the site makes the entire screen Blindingly-Bright White

HenHanna wrote:
> Retro Guy wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 22:01:14 +0000, HenHanna wrote:
>>> i'm noticing that NovaBBS doesn't carry Sci.Lang.Translation

> > Maybe ask the admin (me) to add it.
> Thanks! Maybe i(me) will do that later.

> NovaBBS is really fast... it reminds me of how fast and pleasant PC's were, back in the 1990's when i was using MSDOS (sometimes) and green CRT monitors.

> back in the day when everything was Text-based.

> aaaaaa
> bbbbbb
> xxxxxx
> iiiiii
> mmmmmm
> wwwwww ----------- and i like the [Retro Look] of the Fixed-width characters....

and speaking of the [Retro Look] of the Fixed-width characters....

(Lispy GIF Art) -- When (writing Lisp with Vim) (the *Neon Colors* are Dazzling ! )
https://i.redd.it/gjn8amwym1061.gif
geeky Lisp-Art by HenHanna

----------- any ideas about a Python version of this ???

Marco Moock

Feb 21, 2024, 2:25:09 AMFeb 21
On 21.02.2024 um 00:44 Uhr HenHanna wrote:

> Thank you... i can't use it because the site makes the
> entire screen Blindingly-Bright White

Do you still have a CRT with 60 Hz?
If not, where is the problem?

Indira

Feb 21, 2024, 2:40:27 AMFeb 21
The simplest solution (because it requires no login/password) is
paganini.bofh.team:119 (no login/password necessary)

HenHanna

Feb 21, 2024, 3:00:56 AMFeb 21

Marco Moock wrote:
> On 21.02.2024 um 00:44 Uhr HenHanna wrote:

>> Thank you... i can't use it because the site makes the
>> entire screen Blindingly-Bright White

> Do you still have a CRT with 60 Hz?
> If not, where is the problem?

https://cmacleod.me.uk/newsgrouper has most of the screen WHITE, like Window's classic Theme.

instead, i want to use a Dark Theme or something like [High Contrast Black]--white letters on black background.

Colin Macleod

Feb 21, 2024, 1:37:30 PMFeb 21
HenH...@gmail.com (HenHanna) posted:

> https://cmacleod.me.uk/newsgrouper has most of the screen WHITE, like Window's classic Theme.
>
> instead, i want to use a Dark Theme or something like [High Contrast Black]--white letters on black background.

Hi, this is my site, so "by popular demand" I've just hacked up a basic "dark mode",
with a checkbox on the login screen to enable it.

Actually I'm now planning to do a complete rewrite of the user interface. I wrote it using CloudTk
(Tcl/Tk over a VNC connection), which I had used for a previous project. It's good for interactive
graphical applications, but for something which is all just text it seems overkill. Also I was
finding it quite difficult to get it to behave sensibly on mobile devices. So now my plan is to
redo the user interface with plain html. The logic behind that will still be implemented in Tcl.

One difference from RSLight (which NovaBBS uses) is that I don't store articles long-term on my
server, I just pull them on-demand from eternal-september.org and cache them temporarily. This
means I don't have storage constraints, so you can access any groups that E-S carries, which is
pretty much everything apart from the binary stuff.

--
Colin Macleod.

HenHanna

Feb 21, 2024, 2:35:33 PMFeb 21
Colin Macleod wrote:

> HenH...@gmail.com (HenHanna) posted:
>>
>> https://cmacleod.me.uk/newsgrouper has most of the screen WHITE, like Window's classic Theme.
>>
>> instead, i want to use a Dark Theme or something like [High Contrast Black]--white letters on black background.
>>
> Hi, this is my site, so "by popular demand" I've just hacked up a basic "dark mode",
> with a checkbox on the login screen to enable it.

Yes... it looks nicer now...

i'd want newer threads on top ---

can i make this default in TB ? (Ascending , Descending) ?