London Underground cryptic quiz- The full list

Scorpion

Sep 17, 2003, 8:29:45 AM9/17/03
Thanks to all those who have provided solutions or suggestions to my
original list of 10 clues I couldn't solve. I'm now down to 6.

For those who've asked for it, here is the full list. Some are
blindingly obvious, some more tricky. Unless your knowledge of the
London Underground is encyclopedic a complete list of stations
(including disused ones) is helpful (available online from
'wikipedia')

Underground Quiz
Name the underground stations given by these 100 clues:

1. His majesty is angry
2. It's enormous
3. A capital card game
4. Famous school at the BBC
5. The station between forehead and ear
6. No sinners
7. Harty was old fashioned
8. A Mediterranean island
9. A king of trees
10. Agony aunt owns this road
11. The play should have started five minutes ago, the cast are…
12. Liverpool councillor is annoyed
13. Greedy pigs go here to see a show
14. Traps a stream
15. Applaud ordinarily
16. Girl's toy in a tin
17. I am a fraud
18. Pachyderm and fortress
19. A long slope down to this Suffolk town
20. Oriental amateur
21. TV doctor went on horseback
22. Tool of the farrier
23. Elderly sorcerer
24. Fowl lager
25. Sacred tree
26. University troupe
27. Boy snapped the trees
28. AM heavyweight with a new moon
29. A power cut in the chip shop
30. Yellow pier
31. Posh queen
32. Wealthy but still jealous
33. A vile mad mix up
34. The highway to the highlands
35. Jailbird jockey is dated
36. Backcombed hairstyle
37. Twenty hundredweight of blocks
38. Wellies, hat and a duffle coat
39. Diana's boy's hideout - what's the connection
40. Environmentally friendly crossing
41. Eel trapper on a sandbank with small mound
42. Sealing fully
43. Rapid alteration of notes loses time
44. The Royal method
45. Church decrees this deposit
46. Install leg joint over the river
47. The tailless dog's behind the middle
48. Horse illuminated
49. The new curate's description
50. Asked in the Orient
51. Fashionable Simpson
52. Coil imp around
53. Side includes hostilities on the street
54. Capital on fire stationed here
55. Roundabout farewell
56. Pale, yet serviceable
57. Pit props
58. Lay in ample supplies
59. Part Noel in disarray
60. For example Lake Superior
61. Written record
62. Good man - an extra
63. The haymakers value
64. Z cars John
65. The boy and girl come up
66. Aircraft shelter for Lois
67. Lose an argument over a special rectangle
68. Derek unsophisticated
69. Make the meat rot?
70. Are you and I heard to make a faux-pas
71. Could be danger after the nunnery lost its bearing
72. The A38?
73. Secure attendance at the football match
74. Cricketer more at home in the jungle?
75. Goose annoyed
76. Vaulted passage
77. Victor or Cresta
78. Eurovision winners meet theirs
79. Three statutes in Medieval England
80. Would Rafferty make bread here
81. Dispute over waste ground ending in a boundary
82. Did these bells become rich?
83. Custodial keeper of funds
84. Linear measure finish
85. Dodd's prevailing mode
86. Dogs cry for the same team
87. Inert gas changed
88. Laurel trees take a drink
89. Walk towards the pole
90. Confined River
91. Look inside to see us tonight
92. Bowl on the Lawn
93. Sounds like the external ear
94. Burning without a river gets annoyed
95. Signals an elm or oak
96. Eros with a big top
97. Well off day of the week losing affirmative
98. Police training is dominant
99. Deepdale loses north end for line of communication
100. Top law is in commotion

Stewart Houten

Sep 17, 2003, 9:47:57 AM9/17/03
In article <f5ce39997ce6fe53...@news.teranews.com>, Scorpion wrote:
> Thanks to all those who have provided solutions or suggestions to my
> original list of 10 clues I couldn't solve. I'm now down to 6.
>
> For those who've asked for it, here is the full list. Some are
> blindingly obvious, some more tricky. Unless your knowledge of the
> London Underground is encyclopedic a complete list of stations
> (including disused ones) is helpful (available online from
> 'wikipedia')
>
> Underground Quiz
> Name the underground stations given by these 100 clues:

nice, but too many for me to tackle. here are a few...

[ROT13]

> 1. His majesty is angry

onexvat

> 4. Famous school at the BBC

tenatr uvyy

> 5. The station between forehead and ear

grzcyr

> 6. No sinners

nyy fnvagf

> 7. Harty was old fashioned

ehffryy fdhner

> 12. Liverpool councillor is annoyed

unggba pebff

> 15. Applaud ordinarily

pyncunz

> 16. Girl's toy in a tin

oneovpna

--
stewart houten

Mark Gillan

Sep 17, 2003, 10:09:28 AM9/17/03

"Stewart Houten" <ste...@orr.maths.keele.ac.uk> wrote in message

Hi

Surely No.1 is Xvat'f Pebff?

Mark[Bemused Northerner who thinks a tube should have toothpaste in]

Stephen Rank

Sep 17, 2003, 10:50:16 AM9/17/03
Stewart Houten <ste...@orr.maths.keele.ac.uk> writes:

> nice, but too many for me to tackle. here are a few...
>
> [ROT13]
>
> > 1. His majesty is angry
>
> onexvat

Surely it's

[EBG13]
1. Uvf znwrfgl vf natel
Xvat'f Pebff

?

Stephen
--
1063810159

Dr. Boggis

Sep 17, 2003, 12:48:25 PM9/17/03
Scorpion <Scorp...@ziplip.com> wrote:

> For those who've asked for it, here is the full list. Some are
> blindingly obvious, some more tricky. Unless your knowledge of the
> London Underground is encyclopedic a complete list of stations
> (including disused ones) is helpful (available online from
> 'wikipedia')

For those too lazy to google it:
<http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_London_Underground_stations>

--
-Take out Ron to reply-
Votre mčre était un hamster et votre éperlan de pčre des baies de sureau

burn...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2015, 10:49:26 AM7/15/15
I would love to see the list of answers mate!

burn...@gmail.com

Aug 19, 2015, 12:32:48 AM8/19/15
On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 12:49:26 AM UTC+10, burn...@gmail.com wrote:
> I would love to see the list of answers mate!

yes please can we see the answers!

jw6...@googlemail.com

Jun 4, 2016, 3:08:39 PM6/4/16
Can you publish tha answers?!

foleys...@hotmail.com

Feb 27, 2017, 10:15:09 PM2/27/17
Have the answers ever been published and,if so, where?

sylvi...@hotmail.com

Jun 20, 2020, 8:52:14 AM6/20/20
Agony Aunty owns this road

Joe Carron

Oct 6, 2022, 8:53:00 AM10/6/22
Hi sorry to email about this after its been years since you posted it, I came across it for work and we've started it but don't have any answers for the list, do you know if there are any its driving us mad not having them haha!

many thanks

Joe