WG63 announcement

Rob

Oct 24, 2021, 4:22:16 AM10/24/21
Thanks Luciano for running the last round and apologies again for my absence.

For the next game, please submit a clue or clues for the name of a country - any country in the world.

Closing date is 23:59 GMT on 1 November.

Luciano Ward

Oct 25, 2021, 12:50:14 PM10/25/21
Stand by backing an independent nation (6)

Luciano

Mark Iredell

Oct 26, 2021, 2:46:03 PM10/26/21
You guys land in one dire crisis after another (5)
It can be quite hot and cold, reportedly (5)
In 2000 they were hanging with Jeremy's partner (4)

Luciano Ward

Oct 27, 2021, 4:09:31 PM10/27/21
The state of troubled men overcome by gloom? (7)

Luciano

Steve = : ^ )

Oct 27, 2021, 9:22:17 PM10/27/21
On Sunday, 24 October 2021 at 7:22:16 pm UTC+11, Rob wrote:

> For the next game, please submit a clue or clues for the name of a country - any country in the world.

Aluminium shipped from southern hemisphere country to one in central Europe (7)

Steve = : ^ )

Oct 28, 2021, 2:55:52 AM10/28/21
On Sunday, 24 October 2021 at 7:22:16 pm UTC+11, Rob wrote:

> For the next game, please submit a clue or clues for the name of a country - any country in the world.

Anime TV broadcast into a region of southeast Asia (7)

Luciano Ward

Oct 28, 2021, 11:59:22 AM10/28/21
State outside North America? (5)

Luciano

Duke

Oct 30, 2021, 6:47:26 PM10/30/21
Islands where one goes after strong beer (5)

Bird that's ready to go when piece of nest removed (6)

Microorganism of whatever kind? Place with Cologne (7)

Rob

Nov 12, 2021, 7:33:16 AM11/12/21
Thanks for the entries. Here are my solutions - let me know if I am wrong with anything, and Luciano I need help, embarrassingly.

Luciano:

Stand by backing an independent nation (6)
TAIWAN: WAIT (anag) + AN? (Seems the clue leads to TIAWAN?)

The state of troubled men overcome by gloom? (7)
DENMARK: MEN (anag) inside DARK

State outside North America? (5)
Despite the limited set of possible answers I am stumped here!

Mark:
You guys land in one dire crisis after another (5)
YEMEN: YE + MEN

It can be quite hot and cold, reportedly (5)
CHILE: double homophone CHILI and CHILLY

In 2000 they were hanging with Jeremy's partner (4)
CHAD: ref hanging chads in Florida (and the musical duo Chad & Jeremy?)

Steve:
Aluminium shipped from southern hemisphere country to one in central Europe (7)
AUSTRIA: AUSTRALIA - AL

Anime TV broadcast into a region of southeast Asia (7)
VIETNAM: ANIME TV (anag)

Duke:
Islands where one goes after strong beer (5)
MALTA: MALT + A

Bird that's ready to go when piece of nest removed (6)
TURKEY: TURNKEY - N

Microorganism of whatever kind? Place with Cologne (7)
GERMANY: GERM + ANY

Luciano Ward

Nov 12, 2021, 7:47:29 AM11/12/21
On Friday, 12 November 2021 at 06:33:16 UTC-6, Rob wrote:
> Thanks for the entries. Here are my solutions - let me know if I am wrong with anything, and Luciano I need help, embarrassingly.
>
> Luciano:
> Stand by backing an independent nation (6)
> TAIWAN: WAIT (anag) + AN? (Seems the clue leads to TIAWAN?)
> The state of troubled men overcome by gloom? (7)
> DENMARK: MEN (anag) inside DARK
> State outside North America? (5)
> Despite the limited set of possible answers I am stumped here!

Rob:

First clue is, as you say, faulty.

Third clue:
State = Indiana
outside = aside from
North America = NA
INDIANA aside from NA = INDIA
INDIA = state outside North America

Thanks,

Luciano

Mark Iredell

Nov 13, 2021, 5:09:05 PM11/13/21
> It can be quite hot and cold, reportedly (5)
> CHILE: double homophone CHILI and CHILLY

The definition was intended to be CHILE as a variant spelling of CHILI, as in a jalapeño chile.

> In 2000 they were hanging with Jeremy's partner (4)
> CHAD: ref hanging chads in Florida (and the musical duo Chad & Jeremy?)

Yes.

Rob

Nov 18, 2021, 6:16:05 AM11/18/21
Thanks again. Comments and verdict below:

Luciano:

Stand by backing an independent nation (6)
TAIWAN: WAIT (anag) + AN? (Seems the clue leads to TIAWAN?)
Acknowledged as faulty

The state of troubled men overcome by gloom? (7)
DENMARK: MEN (anag) inside DARK
Good wordplay and Hamletesque surface makes this a good clue

State outside North America? (5)
INDIA: INDIANA - NA
"Outside" meaning "other than" confused me, as I was reading it as a containment indicator. So, good misdirection!

Mark:
You guys land in one dire crisis after another (5)
YEMEN: YE + MEN
Nice use of "land" in the surface

It can be quite hot and cold, reportedly (5)
CHILE: CHILE (pepper) and homophone CHILLY
Can be read in more than one way (see my initial understanding), but possibly a bit obvious

In 2000 they were hanging with Jeremy's partner (4)
CHAD: ref hanging chads in Florida (and the musical duo Chad & Jeremy?)
"They" seems to indicate a plural but I see that "chad" can be plural/mass noun so that is OK.

Steve:
Aluminium shipped from southern hemisphere country to one in central Europe (7)
AUSTRIA: AUSTRALIA - AL
One of the better surface readings on offer here

Anime TV broadcast into a region of southeast Asia (7)
VIETNAM: ANIME TV (anag)
As is this one

Duke:
Islands where one goes after strong beer (5)
MALTA: MALT + A
This took me rather longer than it should have as "malt" doesn't make me think of beer, but that's no reflection on the clue

Bird that's ready to go when piece of nest removed (6)
TURKEY: TURNKEY - N
I would maybe prefer "top of nest removed" as otherwise it could mean removing the E or T, but otherwise good

Microorganism of whatever kind? Place with Cologne (7)
GERMANY: GERM + ANY
Cologne gives the game away a bit too easily, and the surface seems a bit random.

A good turnout of entries for this one.
I'll give first place to Mark's YEMEN clue.
Second to Luciano's DENMARK.
Third to Steve's AUSTRIA.