SCWC 381 announcement

Luciano Ward

Jun 25, 2021, 5:15:57 PM6/25/21
Many thanks to Rob for moderating the previous round. Congratulations to Kevin for winning. It's been a while, so I'll take the reins on this one.

For SCWC 381, please write one, two or three clues for:

EXASPERATED (11)

and post them here.

The deadline is end of day, your time, next Friday, July 2.

Thanks,

Luciano

David A

Jun 26, 2021, 9:54:53 PM6/26/21
Misconstrued date rape sex hopeless! (11)

Rob

Jun 29, 2021, 7:00:37 AM6/29/21
Ticked off dead snake and rat floating in Scottish river running east to west (11)

Luciano Ward

Jul 9, 2021, 1:09:44 PM7/9/21
Thanks to David and Rob for their clues for EXASPERATED.

Below are my interpretations of their clues. Please comment, if necessary.

Luciano

----------

David:
Misconstrued date rape sex hopeless! (11)
DATERAPESEX anag; def = hopeless

Rob:
Ticked off dead snake and rat floating in Scottish river running east to west (11)
[EX+ASP] + RAT in EED (DEE rev); def = ticked off

Luciano Ward

Jul 19, 2021, 11:07:23 AM7/19/21
Apologies for delays. Lots of work on house getting done at the moment, so a bit chaotic, here. Will get result and list of clues out as soon as possible.

Thanks for not being too exasperated,

Luciano

Duke

Jul 22, 2021, 12:08:15 PM7/22/21
Bonus for EXASPERATED:

Annoyed when former lover (a snake) touches like a child's game (11)

David A

Aug 5, 2021, 10:55:41 AM8/5/21
I believe you could be found to be testing the limits of exasperation in small measure, Luciano!

Luciano Ward

Aug 6, 2021, 11:07:00 AM8/6/21
I do apologise for the delay: an unfortunate coincidence of house repairs/work and preparing to head off for a week.

----------

David:
Misconstrued date rape sex hopeless! (11)
DATERAPESEX anag; def = hopeless
-- Sound (if unpleasant) anagram fodder. The surface reading as a whole is not terribly elegant, and the definition is borderline.

Rob:
Ticked off dead snake and rat floating in Scottish river running east to west (11)
[EX+ASP] + RAT in EED (DEE rev); def = ticked off
-- All the wordplay is fine, and the definition good. As a whole, the surface reading leaves something to be desired: it all seems a bit obviously artificial.

----------

The gold medal winner is Rob. The silver goes to David. And I am the bronze.

Duke

Aug 7, 2021, 1:07:01 PM8/7/21
On Friday, August 6, 2021 at 8:07:00 AM UTC-7, Luciano Ward wrote:

> The gold medal winner is Rob. The silver goes to David. And I am the bronze.
Hey, I had a bonus entry. That should be good for bronze...

Luciano Ward

Aug 17, 2021, 12:54:00 PM8/17/21
Sorry, Duke -- have been away where the Internet don't shine.

Your clue:

Annoyed when former lover (a snake) touches like a child's game (11)

EX + ASP + E-RATED; def = annoyed

-- E-RATED I like a lot. The rest is fine, but for the surface reading.

Somewhat like the two high-jumpers at the Olympics, you can share the silver with David. I still deserve the bronze.

Luciano

Steve = : ^ )

Aug 17, 2021, 9:54:00 PM8/17/21
On Wednesday, 18 August 2021 at 2:54:00 am UTC+10, Luciano Ward wrote:

> Somewhat like the two high-jumpers at the Olympics, you can share the silver with David. I still deserve the bronze.

Sorry, if they award two silver medals, there is no bronze. 🥇🥈🥈😢