I Need to paint a concrete pond??? what paint?

Kaiser

Dec 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/17/96

I need to paint a small concrete pond that will have fish living in it.
What kind of paint is safe? I have heard that some paint will kill fish.

thanks
Kevin

please email responses

Kellie Sisson Snider

Dec 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/18/96

Kaiser wrote:

> I need to paint a small concrete pond that will have fish living in it.
> What kind of paint is safe? I have heard that some paint will kill fish.
>
> thanks
> Kevin

The concrete will kill fish unless it is old and already had the lime
leached out of it. You can acid wash it with vinegar, but I'm not sure
of the technique. There are special pond paints which will seal the
ponds. One guy I met used Thompson's Waterseal with good results (word
of mouth, only) I'd recommend the pond or pool paint, but I'm told it's
really gummy.
--
Kellie

My Karma Ran Over My Dogma. It was a catastrophe!
Now my Dogma's Dead and my Karma's out of Alignment!

Chuck Rush

Dec 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/18/96

Kaiser wrote:

> I need to paint a small concrete pond that will have fish living in it.
> What kind of paint is safe? I have heard that some paint will kill fish.
>
> thanks
> Kevin
>
> please email responses

Kevin,

I assume you are in US. There is a product called Thoroseal that is
excellent and can be tinted to a dark color, but it is expensive, like
anything you will want to use. If you use pool paint, make sure it does
not have any algaecides or fungicides. I would also let the paint dry
WELL and let it breathe for a month or so to let any vapors escape
before filling...

--
Chuck Rush
Pond Rushes, http://www.dallas.net/~crush

Dana & Stephen Bailey

Dec 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/18/96
to Kaiser

Kaiser wrote:

> I need to paint a small concrete pond that will have fish living in it.
> What kind of paint is safe? I have heard that some paint will kill fish.
>
> thanks
> Kevin
>
> please email responses

I've heard of a material by CIM industries out in Peterborough NH their
number is 800-543-3458 and ask if they have a dealer near you and you
might be suprised. I live in Alaska and the have a dealer about 10
miles from here. The stuff I think is called CIM 1000 and it is a
potable concrete sealer. If you do use it let me know how it works out
and what you did as far as mixing. I am in the middle of making an
indoor pond in my bedroom only about 150 gallons but I really want to
avoid leaving and this is the best stuff I've heard of for sealing
concrete and safe for fish.

Steve

Uncle Bob

Dec 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/19/96

Kaiser <mars...@gulftel.com> wrote in article
<marshill-171...@071.fol3.gulftel.com>...

> I need to paint a small concrete pond that will have fish living in it.

Why paint a pool. We had one for thirty five years without paint and the
fish tribe lasted just as long.

Uncle Bob

Kathryn Johnson

Dec 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/19/96
to Kellie Sisson Snider, kcj...@azstarnet.com

I finished my concrete pond with a plastic cement mixture with an
adhesive added. Got them at Home Depot. The cement was not too
expensive and the adhesive ran about $11 per gallon. You might be able
to put cement or stucco coloring into the cement. we mixed the cement
to kind of a thin pudding consistency and painted it on. Works great.
Put the fish in the day after the pool was finished in June and have had
no problems.

We tend to use cement here rather than liners because of the high heat
and UV. Unless your pond is under cover a liner will deteriorate
quickly.

Kacie z8/9 Tucson