Breeding of Koi

a425couple

Dec 27, 2012, 8:24:29 PM12/27/12
I read the below post, over on the unmoderated
newsgroup. It is certainly interesting, and since
this newsgroup is very quiet, perhaps someone here
will enjoy reading it.
I'm wishing a Happy New Year to you all.

On Thursday, November 20, 1997 10:00:00 AM UTC+2, brett rowley wrote:
> In <19971120041...@ladder02.news.aol.com> ltbo...@aol.com
> (Ltbolt01) writes:
> >
> >Could someone please tell me how to determine the Gender (sex) of Koi?
> >i have ten of them and i am curious as to which is which, and if i
> have both
> > sex's so i can breed them.
>
> Well, out of ten individuals, chances are you have both sexes present.
> Koi will usually develop and show secondary sex characterisics during
> the spring of thier second or third year. Females will usually be
> plumper than males and have very smooth skin. Males will normally be
> more slender and thier skin will become rough. Especially the head and
> fins of males will feel similar to sandpaper as the water warms in the
> spring. This is from protuberances common to the cyprinid (and some
> other families of fishes)family called "nuptial tubercles". Some male
> cyprinids, such as fathead minnows have tubercles that are very
> pronounced, resembling horns on the face. Hence when they are ready to
> spawn, they are "horny".
>
> Sexually mature koi that are in spawning condition can be "milked" to
> see if they are producing milt or eggs. This exercise is better left
> to somebody very familiar with the procedure as it is easy to damage
> the internal organs of the koi if they are squeezed too hard or in the
> wrong place.
>
> Koi will be stimulated to spawn by a combination of environmental
> factors. They must undergo a chilling period of winter, then a gradual
> warming period. After a certain amount of warmup and water temps of 59
> degrees F or more, they can spawn. Other stimulating factors includes
> a sudden increase in water level or improvement of water quality,
> females exposed to males (especially if they have been kept apart all
> year), a full moon during a warming period, the presence of suitable
> spawning substrate, and perhaps many other factors. If the koi are
> near to spawning condition, they can be artificially stimulated to
> spawn through the use of some hormones. Some of these commonly found
> on fish hatcheries are HCG (Human or Horse Chorionic Gonadotropin),
> LHrHa (Lutenizing Hormone releasing Hormone analogue), or carp
> pituitary extract.
>
> In most instances, if the water is good and both sexes are present, koi
> don't need much stimulation to spawn. They will go at it early in the
> morning with vigor and enthusiasm. As soon as spawning is nearing an
> end, they will immediatly begin to eat up all the recently laid eggs.
> The use of substrates such as air conditioner filters, bus seat
> stuffing, hyacinth roots, spanish moss, etc. helps to protect the eggs
> and the substrate can be moved to a hatching container away from hungry
> parents.
>
> Rearing is the toughest part of trying to breed koi. The young koi are
> very specific as to water quality and diet. To get any chance of
> [...]

Louis Fourie.Hi Brett

I would like to know why the diesel or oil on the water and hoe do you feed
the then.
For me yellow egg yokes work, but even better is growth food put dry in a
coffee grinder or juicer to make it very fine