Replacement Pump - What do you do?

19 views
Skip to first unread message

JB

unread,
Jun 3, 2012, 11:33:59 AM6/3/12
to
I've been using the same pump in my pond since July 2004. It runs
24/7/365. Thinking about getting a back-up to have on hand in case of
catastrophic failure. Does anyone else do this? Or, do you wait until it
fails before obtaining a replacement? Or, compute a useful life span and
retire the pump even though it still runs?

Curious minds want to know.

TIA

JB

Phyllis and Jim

unread,
Jun 8, 2012, 10:33:04 AM6/8/12
to
We went with a second Pondmaster as a replacement/backup. We thought we could aford it. Our pump is outside the pond and easily replaced by unscrewing two unions in out 1.5" lines. Takes about 20 min start to finish.

Our original in-pond pump was at the bottom of our 7' 'deep well' in the center of the pond. At 65, I had no problem diving down, undoing it and pulling it out. Thought that could be a problem in a decade or two. Don't ever have to do it again!

Let us know what you decide.

~ jan

unread,
Jul 8, 2012, 7:54:14 AM7/8/12
to
JB, what did you decide?

My lily pond pump, a Becket, went out last week. After concurring with
folks on Koiphen and reading reviews I went with a Laguna.

Remember back in the old rec.pond days that was not a name for quality?
Apparently they have improved their line. This is a mag drive with some
sort of electronic flow controller, so I'll drop from 300-330 watts that
the Becket was using down to 100 watts for the same output (supposedly).

I'll test it out on the koi pond before I install it on the lily pond so I
can see if it will successfully run the waterfall on the koi pond. If all
goes well I'll order another, the Beckett in the koi pond is approaching
the same run time as the one that died, so best be prepared.

In the meantime the lily pond is running at half flow with the koi pond's
winter pump. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

JB

unread,
Jul 26, 2012, 4:18:33 PM7/26/12
to
On 7/8/2012 6:54 AM, ~ jan wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Jun 2012 10:33:04 EDT, Phyllis and Jim
> <jimandp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>
>> Let us know what you decide.
>
> JB, what did you decide?
>
> My lily pond pump, a Becket, went out last week. After concurring with
> folks on Koiphen and reading reviews I went with a Laguna.
>
> In the meantime the lily pond is running at half flow with the koi pond's
> winter pump. ~ jan
> ------------
> Zone 7a, SE Washington State
> Ponds: www.jjspond.us
>
Ooops. Sorry for the delay, I've been AWOL. Heat induced I'm sure.

I didn't take advantage of the 10% sale and buy one (OASE Auquamax 3000
gph - 200 watts). I've bought from the company (Pondliner.com) before
and they get things out the door really promptly so I decided to wait.

How many gph will the Laguna push?

~ jan

unread,
Aug 1, 2012, 1:06:56 AM8/1/12
to
>On 7/8/2012 6:54 AM, ~ jan wrote:
>> JB, what did you decide?
>>
>> My lily pond pump, a Becket, went out last week. After concurring with
>> folks on Koiphen and reading reviews I went with a Laguna.
>>
>> In the meantime the lily pond is running at half flow with the koi pond's
>> winter pump. ~ jan
>>
On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 16:18:33 EDT, JB <jrbn...@ipa.net> wrote:

>Ooops. Sorry for the delay, I've been AWOL. Heat induced I'm sure.
>
>I didn't take advantage of the 10% sale and buy one (OASE Auquamax 3000
>gph - 200 watts). I've bought from the company (Pondliner.com) before
>and they get things out the door really promptly so I decided to wait.
>
>How many gph will the Laguna push?

The Laguna I got does 2400 gph flat out. 74 watts when running on the koi
pond, ~ 5-6' of head. 1660-1700gph at that head rate. On the lily pond
there is only 1.5 feet of head so it is really pumping up there, turning
that pond over once every 30 minutes or less. Skimmer has never worked so
well.

One wants to buy direct from Webb's Water Gardeners, if interested, it was
only $125 w/free shipping and came with free koi treats. Took about 7 days
to get it east coast to west. I wasn't in dire need, so I couldn't be
happier, why I ended up buying 2. The working Becket will now be the backup
pump assuming it will even run if out of commission for hopefully many
years. ~ jan

JB

unread,
Aug 4, 2012, 2:59:48 PM8/4/12
to
On 8/1/2012 12:06 AM, ~ jan wrote:
>> On 7/8/2012 6:54 AM, ~ jan wrote:
>>> JB, what did you decide?
>>>
>>>.
>>
>> I didn't take advantage of the 10% sale and buy one (OASE Auquamax 3000
>> gph - 200 watts). I've bought from the company (Pondliner.com) before
>> and they get things out the door really promptly so I decided to wait.
>>
>> How many gph will the Laguna push?
>
> The Laguna I got does 2400 gph flat out. 74 watts when running on the koi
> pond, ~ 5-6' of head. 1660-1700gph at that head rate. On the lily pond
> there is only 1.5 feet of head so it is really pumping up there, turning
> that pond over once every 30 minutes or less. Skimmer has never worked so
> well.
>
> > ------------
> Zone 7a, SE Washington State
> Ponds: www.jjspond.us
>

That's a great price for an efficeint pump. I guess I need to check out
a Laguna that has a little bit more gph. I'm guessing that if you can
get that flow/wattage from that pump the one that pumps 3000 gph should
come in under 200 watts.

Thanks

JB

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages