Digital Photo Image File Renaming

1 view

Vladimir Veytsel

Apr 22, 2004, 9:42:39 PM4/22/04
Please find at the link below the program for renaming digital photo
image files using date and time recorded by camera with the image.

http://www.davar.net/MISCL/DOWNLOAD/RENPHOT.HTM

Formal and easily achieved image file name consistency simplifies
organization and maintenance of large picture archives.

--
Best regards,
Vladimir Veytsel.

JC Dill

Apr 24, 2004, 7:50:17 PM4/24/04
On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 01:42:39 GMT, Vladimir Veytsel <Vl...@verizon.net>
wrote:

>Please find at the link below the program for renaming digital photo
>image files using date and time recorded by camera with the image.
>
>http://www.davar.net/MISCL/DOWNLOAD/RENPHOT.HTM
>
>Formal and easily achieved image file name consistency simplifies
>organization and maintenance of large picture archives.

What does this program do when it encounters a group of photos taken
with a "motor drive" feature? I have an Olympus E100RS, which can
take up to 15 frames per second. (I'm planning on upgrading to a
Canon 1D Mark II, which can take up to 8 FPS.)

Thus, I can have up to 15 files that have an identical date/time
stamp.

jc

(posted and emailed)

David W. Poole, Jr.

Apr 26, 2004, 1:31:27 PM4/26/04
On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 23:50:17 GMT, JC Dill
<usenet-s...@vo.cnchost.com> was understood to have stated the
following:

>What does this program do when it encounters a group of photos taken
>with a "motor drive" feature? I have an Olympus E100RS, which can
>take up to 15 frames per second. (I'm planning on upgrading to a
>Canon 1D Mark II, which can take up to 8 FPS.)
>
>Thus, I can have up to 15 files that have an identical date/time
>stamp.

I just hacked out something for Windoze yesterday that might meet your
needs; it definitely meets mine.

Basic theory of operation

Drag files (type is irrelevant) from Explorer to the app's dialog box.

1) The app examines the date and time the file was last written to
generate the file name. As my camera date and time stamps the .jpg
file with the date and time the photo was taken, this works for me. It
also provides the benefit that it will work for files other than .jpg.
It builds in the YYYYMMDDHHSSMM format, and this is not a configurable
parameter (at present; I might be financially motivated to include
that capacity).

2) After building the list of names, it sorts and scans the list for
the date and time stamp, and if the date and time stamps are equal, as
would be when multiple files are generated in the same second, it then
sorts them alphabetically according to file name. In the case where
there are multiple files with the same date and time stamp, it counts
the quantity of files that were written to in the same second.

3) In the case where there are multiple files written in the same
second, it takes the quantity and figures out how many decimal places
are required to accurately and neatly format the addition to the file
name. For example, 4 files written in the same second would have a
format of "-1", "-2", etc postpended to the file name; 20 files
written in the same second would have a format of "-01", "-02", etc.
I've tested up to 130 files written in the same second in this manner.

Vladimir Veytsel

Apr 26, 2004, 10:14:39 PM4/26/04
Yes, I know pretty well what you are talking about - I believe, I also have
similar feature for taking many shots in quick succession, and, though I've
never used it, I've encountered situations when I was taking several shots
per minute manually. This made me think about how to handle it, while
staying within 8.3 file naming system. (Obviously it's no problem at all,
if one decides to go past 8.3 names - just add to the name part the "nnnn"
- sequential number of the picture within the the flash cartridge.)

To handle this situation I've used continuous incrementing of digital file
name - not much of sophistication, but works OK, providing what is necessary
- unique file name. Slight distortion of date and time pattern is not the
problem - actual date and time are safe in the description record.

Below there is the clip from program description (it's on the web site):

- Renames each file into MODAHRUT.JPG using data from date and time stamp.
+>+>+>+>
| | v Minute (can be incremented over 59 to 99)
| v Hour (can be incremented over 23, if required)
v Day
Month

- In case such name already exists, name is incremented by "+1" until
proper vacant name slot is found (the ACTUAL time is placed in the
description record). Such incrementing might move the minute field
over 59 to 99 and under very rare circumstances hour field over 23.
(It's not a big deal to keep file name always as a proper date, but
it might tend to propagate the shift beyond month and even beyond year,
which doesn't make any sense.)

This incrementing might cause intercartidge problem, and there is a special
parameter to handle it:

4. Name of the last file from the previous memory cartridge in the form
of an eight-digit number "MODAHRUT" (Default or invalid: none).
This parameter might prove handy for downloading and renaming images
from several successive memory cartridges in case of a high frequency
of shots made at the end of one cartridge that results in the
incremental shift of file name numbers, so that this shift carries
over into the next cartridge. This might happen because it's
necessary to download separate cartridges into separate directories
- camera provides unique names only within its current cartridge.
There's always a choice, of course, not to use this parameter, but
to do necessary image file name adjustments manually when merging
individual cartridge directories together.

Look through program description (bold fixed font). It reflects some
problems that usage of this program presented, and solutions of these
problems.

--
Best regards,
Vladimir Veytsel.