Robert Kincaid from "The Bridges of Maddsion County"

G. Hugh Song 21613

Dec 28, 1994, 4:07:15 PM12/28/94
One in list of the best-sellers short-stories a little while ago was
"The Bridges of Maddison County" by Robert James Waller.
Was the National Geographic Photographer "Robert Kincaid" a real person?
Does anybody know some of his works?

Thanks.

Hugh

Wendell Ruotsi

Dec 28, 1994, 8:58:49 PM12/28/94
In article <D1JHC...@walter.bellcore.com>, hs...@nyquist.bellcore.com

Robert Kincaid is fictional.

The author, Robert James Waller, was a Nat'l Geographic photographer in
real life.

Vasudevan Ramanujam

Dec 28, 1994, 6:20:36 PM12/28/94

Kincaid is a fictional character, about as real as the Velveteen Rabbit,
you might say. If the book was autobiographical, he may have had his real
roots in Waller himself, I don't know.

While browsing at a bookstore some time ago, I saw a collection of eighteen
or so picture postcards shot by Robert James Waller. Nice rural views,
almost National Geographic like. That Waller is obviously a multi talented
man - sings ballads, too.

Vasu Ramanujam

Don Baccus

Dec 29, 1994, 8:14:35 PM12/29/94
In article <D1JHC...@walter.bellcore.com> hs...@nyquist.bellcore.com (G. Hugh Song 21613) writes:
>One in list of the best-sellers short-stories a little while ago was
>"The Bridges of Maddison County" by Robert James Waller.
>Was the National Geographic Photographer "Robert Kincaid" a real person?

No, he was not a real person. That's what "fiction" means :) I've
not read the book, but have listened to an interview with the author
on "Fresh Air" (on that hotbed of liberalism NPR, soon to be Grinched
by Newt it appears).

Apparently, many readers were convinced that the photographer character
was a real story. This impression was strengthed by the appearance in
the book of photographs supposedly taken by the character, but actually
taken by the author.

Cute!