picture.com - advice, please

PheelThePhlow

Jul 2, 2002, 1:51:13 PM7/2/02
Hello all! I'm not quite sure this is the place to be asking this, but I'll
ask anyway.... I recently submitted a photo to this website for a 'contest'
they're having. Oh, 'they' are "The International Library of
Photography".... anyway, I received a letter from them saying that they
liked my photo and that it made it to the semi-finals, and that they would
publish it in their yearly photo-publication. My question is - has anyone
had any experience with this group before? I'm really excited, but I guess
I'm just wondering if they're legit..... any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks again!

Lisa Horton

Jul 2, 2002, 3:02:33 PM7/2/02
I think they make their money on selling their yearly book to
photographers who have pictures in it.

Lisa

Markeaux

Jul 2, 2002, 5:45:20 PM7/2/02
Agree, just like the poetry book to which my wife submitted and
was "selected" to have her work published

"Lisa Horton" <Li...@lisahorton.net> wrote in message

Tuples

Jul 3, 2002, 4:54:29 AM7/3/02
>I'm just wondering if they're legit..... any help is greatly appreciated!
>Thanks again!

Well, if you have submitted why worry? Seems like you should have checked it
out before submitting.

Seems to me they will accept anything and their goal is to get you to purchase
a copy of the book.

Bob

Tuples

Jul 3, 2002, 4:58:00 AM7/3/02
>Agree, just like the poetry book to which my wife submitted and
>was "selected" to have her work published

I will also point out that real editors are not likely to look at materials
offered by these publishers and promoters. I hear many writers complain that
editors are not considering materials published on a web site.

This bothers many because they believe editors should not consider web work
publishing. The editors I work with are of the opinion that since anyone can
publish on the web, it reduces the value of the work.

Bob

PheelThePhlow

Jul 3, 2002, 12:19:04 PM7/3/02

> Well, if you have submitted why worry? Seems like you should have checked
it
> out before submitting.

Well, I'm not really *worrying*. I don't really worry about much. I'm
*asking* because I had received the letter, and since this is a *photo*
newsgroup, I figured someone may be able to offer some advice (even re-read
the original - "I'm not quite sure this is the place to be asking this, but
I'll ask anyway"). I guess, in order to avoid a quite *snide* remark from
you, I should have stressed the nonchalant-ness in which I submitted in the
first place. I really didn't think twice about it, just something fun to do
on a whim. Should we always 'look before we leap'? I guess I'm just a more
spontaneous and risk-taking person than you. Telling me I should have
'checked it out before submitting' is just downright asinine. I submitted
months ago, and for you to say that makes me say "hey way up there! how's
the weather up on that high horse?"

> Seems to me they will accept anything and their goal is to get you to
purchase
> a copy of the book.

Yes, this is what it kind of seems to me also, which is why I'm posting my
question here. Again, go back and re-read the original - 'I'm just wondering
if they're legit..." So, when I post this question here looking for advice,
tips, or maybe a 'point' in the right direction... I get 'it seems to me's '
and 'I think's '....... so, obviously, this wasn't the right forum for my
question.

But I will say, Tuples, that your previous post on editors not accepting
'web work' was much more thought out and *slightly* helpful. While I do
greatly appreciate filling my thirst for knowledge, I never said I was going
to get into photography on a much-more-than for fun basis. But if I ever do,
that knowledge about editors/etc. would be helpful. But, yet again, that had
nothing to do with my original post.

I have received one 'intelligent' reply via email. Thank you - you know who
you are!!!

As for everyone else - thanks for trying, but don't try too hard.

And Tuples - may that high horse grant you permission one day to come on
down & spend some time with us little, ignorant, pathetic folk.

I'm outta here.

> Bob

Tuples

Jul 3, 2002, 4:22:31 PM7/3/02
>And Tuples - may that high horse grant you permission one day to come on
>down & spend some time with us little, ignorant, pathetic folk.

HEY NOW - I do not deserve that. Do you think you are pathetic? I never said
that. Little folk? Perhaps now but who knows what you can eventually do. I
participate in lots of groups and what wears me down are people like you who do
something then ask if it is OK. Relax, you can learn. I replied because I think
it is strange to post something then ask if the place I posted to was
legitimate. Seems people are quick to bitch out someone who asks a logical
question.

As for my other comments, they are based on years of experience. I am hard on
people at times, but that's me. I tolerate little. Your question is typical of
many people who do something then want to know if it was correct. The info is
there in front of you.

Remember, you asked so do not moan when you get replies

PheelThePhlow

Jul 3, 2002, 4:55:31 PM7/3/02

> HEY NOW - I do not deserve that.

I, however, think you do.

> Do you think you are pathetic? I never said
> that.

No, of course I don't. And no, you never said that. May have been a little
harsh on both of us, but oh, well.

>Little folk? Perhaps now but who knows what you can eventually do.

Well, a ray of sunshine and support. wow. I'm truly amazed.

> participate in lots of groups and what wears me down are people like you
who do
> something then ask if it is OK.

And what wears me down are the 'locals' like you who think they have the run
of the forum, and any newbies who are not familiar with that forum's
etiquette are immediately shot down (in so many words).

>Relax, you can learn.

Well, you're right. BUT - how do we learn? By asking questions. And I asked
a question, and you shot me down. I do hope to learn more, but not in
Tuples' territory. That is where you learn humility.

>I replied because I think
> it is strange to post something then ask if the place I posted to was
> legitimate. Seems people are quick to bitch out someone who asks a logical
> question.

Well, then - that first statement just goes to show you didn't read my post
throroughly. I didn't ask if rec.photo.misc was legit - I asked if
picture.com and the 'International Library of Photography' was legit. And
no, I didn't know if this was the forum to ask that question - but I figured
since this forum has the word 'photo' in it, I may as well ask as maybe ONE
person might have some kind of answer, advice, or someplace else they could
point me to for more information.

> As for my other comments, they are based on years of experience. I am hard
on
> people at times, but that's me. I tolerate little. Your question is
typical of
> many people who do something then want to know if it was correct. The info
is
> there in front of you.

And I truly value speaking with someone that has experience. Perhaps under
different circumstances I could have learned much from you or someone like
you. You admit on being hard on people at times and tolerate little. Maybe
it's time for YOU to relax? hhmmmm?
And I disagree with my question being typical of many people who do
something then want to know if it is correct. That's a rather broad,
sweeping generalization and I take offense to being sloshed into that
stereotype. All I was seeking was a little information about a web site and
a 'company' from a forum that seemed to be related.... not being some idiot
who 'does something then wants to know if it is correct.'

> Remember, you asked so do not moan when you get replies

Yeah, you're right. I do have a problem with those people also. BUT, I felt
the need to reply to your asinine reply to my original post. Remember, when
you say things that you even *think* might anger someone, then it probably
will and they will stick up for themselves. And also remember that we alone
are responsible for the words that come out of our mouths.

But, again, you're right. I do see this type of thing in the many other
forums I frequent also. The problem is threefold as I see it - the newbies
don't bother reading other posts or consulting the forum FAQ (of which I did
here, but couldn't find anything related), and the 'locals' sit way up on
their high horse and slap down anyone who starts a discussion that may have
been addressed elsewhere or does not conform to that forum's 'etiquette' or
is simply an attack on the newbie. The third reason, is that no one realizes
that these are DISCUSSION groups. The purpose here is to discuss topics
related to the title, in this case 'photo'. I looked at al the other 'photo'
forums, and felt this was the most likely place I might get some help with
the topic of my post. And, fortunately, one person did reply to me via email
with some useful information - and he was very pleasant at doing so.

So, Mr. Tuples, how IS the weather up on that high horse? You need to
realize that there are going to be many newbies here who will post
questions/comments, and that they all won't fit into your idea of a nice,
neat, ordered little RPM. I do hope that the next person doesn't get some
kind of crude remark, but rather gets some kind of help or gets pointed into
the right direction.

Why can't we all just get along????????

With that, I thank you for your help (oh, wait, you didn't give me any....
so I take that back). Someday YOU are going to learn to relax and take it
easy on people who have little to no knowledge on a subject on which you are
obviously well-versed. And I do hope it's sooner rather than later.