Help - digital photo damage

Bob Ashby

May 30, 2003, 5:17:00 PM5/30/03
There are a number of technical omissions that need to be asked.
Do you know who the manufacturer is for the storage device
are you using compatible formats
has the storage device ever worked correctly for you
if so what has changed
what format was the pictures saved in i.e.. tiff, jpeg, etc......
have you ever tried to examine the hard drive with a utility like Norton
Disk Doctor.

"
--
Walk in peace, for they shall know us only by the tracks we leave
Bob Ashby

A Wolf's Creed:
Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack.Play when you
can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between.
Share your affections. Voice your feelings.
Leave your mark.

Escher

May 30, 2003, 6:49:20 PM5/30/03

- No, I don't know the manufacturer. I did buy it a couple of months ago in
a rush during a short flight connection at Singapore airport. My mistake, I
should have taken the time to check better. Ther is no name on the device
nor on the installation CD. The only hint is that it was made in Taiwan.
- The problem occured a first time just after I came back home. Same type of
alteration. It was the time when I changed my PC. As the set up of the new
one had been somewhat problemtic, I had to transfer the content of my older
hdd several times. It just happened that after one of these manipulations
this first series of pictures were restored into their original state, but I
cannot remember how that came.
- all pictures saved in jepg
- Norton Disk Doctor reports that it cannot it cannot obtain the disk
characteristics and is unable to test the partition information of the
drive.

The problem is at two levels:
1. can the device be fixed and work properly in the future? I am skeptical
and already consider to replace it.
2. can the pictures be restored? I should be more hopeful. The fact that
the miniature pictures of Windows Explorer are unalterated makes me think
that somehow the correct information is still present. But I have no clue of
how to fix it.

Thanks for your advice

Yves Dubois

PS by the way, I looked at wolfgafx.com. Splendid work!