Sony's DSC-F828 Cyber-shot Camera 8 megapixels for $999

sasquatch

Jan 18, 2004, 4:13:24 PM1/18/04
I was thinking of purchasing the Sony DSC-F717 for $699.00, but I came
across this preorder special for the DSC-F828 at Get a LifeStyle, preorder
price is $999.00:
http://www.getalifestyle.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=260

The DSC-F717 is a great camera, but from what I read about the DSC-F828,
with 8.0 MP and microdrive storage and RAW image format, how can you go
wrong?

Bob Salomon

Jan 18, 2004, 4:19:22 PM1/18/04
In article <UFCOb.4025$_u4....@nwrdny02.gnilink.net>,
"sasquatch" <sasq...@thewoods.com> wrote:

I had the 717 and now have the 828. So far - Great Camera.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

John Hughes

Jan 18, 2004, 5:11:48 PM1/18/04

Stewy

Jan 19, 2004, 6:18:59 AM1/19/04

"sasquatch" <sasq...@thewoods.com> wrote in message

Careful - You'll need to spend at least $100 more the moment you buy it.
You'll need another InfoLithium battery. Bigger memory sticks than the
paltry 16mb thing that comes with the camera and if you want to charge the
batteries outside the camera, add around $60 for that.

Bob Salomon

Jan 19, 2004, 7:21:45 AM1/19/04
In article <buge9k$556$1...@newssv.kcn.ne.jp>,
"Stewy" <anyone4...@lycos.com> wrote:

> You'll need another InfoLithium battery. Bigger memory sticks than the
> paltry 16mb thing that comes with the camera and if you want to charge the
> batteries outside the camera, add around $60 for that.

The 828 comes with no memory stick or CF card. I have 2 batteries but
find that the batteries are so efficient I have rarely had to change
batteries while shooting on the 717 or the 828.
Yes they do sell accessory chargers for outside the battery charging.

So 1 out of 3 isn't too bad. Help you make the Hall of Fame if you
constantly average .333 in baseball.

Pretty sloppy though as an average for advice.

Povl H. Pedersen

Jan 19, 2004, 8:13:41 AM1/19/04

The F828 is almost blind. At 200 ISO it is about as sensitive as the
Canon EOS 300D at 125 ISO. But allready at 64 ISO the F828 has more
noise in the pictures than the the EOS 300D has at 4-800 ISO.

So it is almost 1 stop slower than other cameras, and 3-4 stops
more noisy.

Albert Nurick

Jan 19, 2004, 1:13:53 PM1/19/04
Bob Salomon <bob_s...@mindspring.com> wrote in

> I had the 717 and now have the 828. So far - Great Camera.

Bob, how's the shutter lag? That's the one thing I detest about my 707.

--
Albert Nurick
alb...@nurick.com

'97 Honda Pacific Coast
'93 Honda Helix
'87 Honda Helix

Scorpi...@attnospam.net

Jan 19, 2004, 2:39:57 PM1/19/04
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 21:13:24 GMT, "sasquatch" <sasq...@thewoods.com>
wrote:

As a huge SOny fan and owner of the S85, F707 and V1, I couldn't wait
for the F828 to come out. When I started seeing the results from test
F828's it gave me pause. Now the camera is in full release and I
still won't buy one. These pictures I'm seeing from F828 are not that
great. So why would I spend ANOTHER 1000 for a camera that doesn't
shoot much better then the last few models? If you have you heart set
on Sony pick up a F707 or F717 and save some money while capturing
better pictures.

Reading the Sony talk forum one must wonder if some of the posters are
delusional. I've learned a lot over there and from Phil Askey, but I
now question their judgement since the F828 came out. Read Phil's
summery on the F828 review. It's like he's giving out a recommend as
a gift based on emotion.

I would love to own a F828 IF Sony can FIX it.
--
Like a game of pick up stick played by fucking lunatics

Bob Salomon

Jan 19, 2004, 2:43:23 PM1/19/04
In article <Xns94757C6...@24.93.43.121>,
Albert Nurick <alb...@nurick.com> wrote:

> Bob Salomon <bob_s...@mindspring.com> wrote in
>
> > I had the 717 and now have the 828. So far - Great Camera.
>
> Bob, how's the shutter lag? That's the one thing I detest about my 707.

It seems much faster then my 717 or any of the Coolpix models I had from
the 950 to the 5700.

Bob Salomon

Jan 19, 2004, 2:46:04 PM1/19/04
In article <09co00p3m42p4cu93...@4ax.com>,
Scorpi...@attNOSPAM.net wrote:

> I would love to own a F828 IF Sony can FIX it.

I do own one after having the 717 and have no complaints. And, yes, I
have read the reviews. However I have been in the photography business
since the mid 1950s and have learned to test it myself, under the
conditions I will use it and form my own judgement. So far I am very
pleased.

Larry

Jan 19, 2004, 3:53:16 PM1/19/04
In article <09co00p3m42p4cu93...@4ax.com>,
Scorpi...@attNOSPAM.net says...

> Reading the Sony talk forum one must wonder if some of the posters are
> delusional. I've learned a lot over there and from Phil Askey, but I
> now question their judgement since the F828 came out. Read Phil's
> summery on the F828 review. It's like he's giving out a recommend as
> a gift based on emotion.
>
> I would love to own a F828 IF Sony can FIX it.

I have the 717 and the 5mp Mavicam, and LOVE them both. Still, I
wouldn't consider the 828 as a "Replacement" for the 717.

I've been able to do some very profitable work with the 717 and even the
Mavicam, and I MIGHT get an 828 later on AFTER I get a dslr (probably a
Canon, unless Sony comes out with one).

I'de like a chance to play with the color from an 828, but I dont feel a
need for a camera that is basicaly noiser than what Im using.

Larry

Larry

Jan 19, 2004, 4:10:47 PM1/19/04
In article <bob_salomon-097205.14460419012004@news-
east.ash.giganews.com>, bob_s...@mindspring.com says...

> I do own one after having the 717 and have no complaints. And, yes, I
> have read the reviews. However I have been in the photography business
> since the mid 1950s and have learned to test it myself, under the
> conditions I will use it and form my own judgement. So far I am very
> pleased.
>
> --
> To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

My only reason for not jumping up to get one right away is simple, I
have a relative who sent me several cdrs of raw images, and some un-
edited jpgs, and I just didn't see a thosand dollars worth of "better"
in them. It takes fine pictures, certainly, but not enough to justify
$999, when I already have the 717 to shoot with.

I got my 717 for a hell of a bargain price (mid $500 range) onsale at
SEARS, of all places!

When they start to carry the 828, and they are having a SALE, then I'll
swoop down on one.

Larry

Scorpi...@attnospam.net

Jan 19, 2004, 6:37:51 PM1/19/04

Bob,

I'm glad you are happy with it. Hey if it works for you great. What
type of photography do you do if I may ask? I'm also curious to know
if you feel it is $1000 better then the F717?

I would love to be proven wrong on the F828. I just can't get over
the pictures I've seen posted. I mean, I'm not a professional
photographer, but I know that the pics I've seen are not good.

Fulci Argento

Jan 27, 2004, 1:50:42 AM1/27/04
Tell me the differences between the 828 and the coolpix 5700 (Which I
currently own). I feel the 5700 is extremely lacking with low light
(indoors) situations. I have been shooting some indoor non-flash
concerts and really would like something that will focus faster. Any
thoughts?

In article
<bob_salomon-70D0...@news-east.ash.giganews.com>, Bob