Cleaning fungus from 35mm slides

Clicker

Feb 6, 2004, 2:30:42 PM2/6/04
Has anyone else seen a fungus on their slides?

I have 6-7 rolls of slide film (Kodak, Kodachrome 64) that I shot back
in 1984. They slides were stored in the carousel's I use with the
projector. (My bad.) Recently I dug up the slides and decided to scan
them into my computer for archive and enhancement. Much to my surprise,
what looked fine when projected on a wall or screen, actually had a fine
blue & green grit covering the entire slide which was picked up by my
scanner. (HP_Scanjet 5370C with transparency adapter.) I called Kodak
customer support and they have told me that Kodachrome from that period
in time was highly susceptible to growing a fungus, which is what I am
seeing in my scanned images. The suggestion was to use a strong
Isopropyl solution and a cotton ball to clean. Haven't found anything
stronger than rubbing alcohol which is about a 4% solution. I've tried
using PEC-12, a film cleaning solution and haven't seen much of an
improvement.

Besides recreating the trip, any other suggestions on dealing with this
problem?

RSD99

Feb 6, 2004, 4:43:21 PM2/6/04
Re: "...

Haven't found anything
stronger than rubbing alcohol which is about a 4% solution.
..."
Unless I'm sadly mistaken, I've got a 16 oz bottle labeled "99% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol"
on the shelf ... from Long's Drug Store! I got it about a month ago, and it only cost a
couple of bucks. IIRC they had three varieties of "Rubbing Alcohol ... 77%, 90% and 99%
... on the shelf that day.

It has the number "NCD 12333-9804-1" on the label, and the bar code label is
3 12333 98041 7

"...

I've tried
using PEC-12, a film cleaning solution and haven't seen much of an
improvement.

..."

PEC-12 is a good product. It may not be able to do anything with the mold because the mold
has actually eaten into the film surface. If so ... you are probably limited to what you
can do with PhotoShop (or equivalent).

"Clicker" <""vze22nn5\"@veriz...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Tony Spadaro

Feb 6, 2004, 6:01:42 PM2/6/04
Usually removing fungus from a slide leaves clear spots - the fungus has
eaten the original emulsion. The best thing to do is either scan with ICE or
remove the spots in Photoshop after scanning. Usually it takes a combination
of the two if the fungus is very bad.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

William Graham

Feb 6, 2004, 9:42:43 PM2/6/04

"Clicker" <""vze22nn5\"@veriz...@verizon.net> wrote in message
Don't know if it would help, but Rite Aid has a 70% rubbing alcohol that's
Ethyl alcohol. it's their product # 11822-31386, and it comes in a 1 pint
bottle. I use it to clean my trumpet, because the smell of isopropyl alcohol
makes me sick

KBob

Feb 7, 2004, 3:06:39 PM2/7/04
On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 02:42:43 GMT, "William Graham" <we...@comcast.net>
wrote:

If you bought it at Rite Aid, there's little doubt it contains
denaturant additives. If you are concerned about this try a liquor
store and buy a jug of grain alcohol ("Everclear" brand). It's 95
percent ethyl alcohol.

William Graham

Feb 8, 2004, 3:01:53 AM2/8/04

"KBob" <KB...@donteventry.net> wrote in message

You are probably right, but I don't drink it, but just use it to clean my
trumpet with......I don't know whether the denaturing additives would hurt
film or not....I would test anything I bought on a throw-away slide first in
any case.....

Clicker

Feb 9, 2004, 10:00:05 AM2/9/04
Thanks all for the suggestions. Seems I may have gotten a little mixed
up with the percentage. I've seen an ad for ICE to be used with the
scanning. Isn't that a plug-in for Photoshop? It might actually be
cheaper for me to buy a plane ticket back to Hawaii and shot again. I've
got family there so, hotel is cheap.

Thanks again.