Date stamping on prints of digital photos

Tim

Dec 27, 2003, 10:11:47 AM12/27/03
When we used a film camera, the resulting prints had the dates on which we
took the photos stamped in one of the lower corners. We (my wife and I)
really liked this feature because it made arranging photos chronologically
in photo albums very easy. I bought her a digital camera for her birthday
last spring and we enjoy it all other respects, but we have yet to find a
print developer that can date stamp the prints. We could do this manually by
looking up the dates using the photo editing software on our computer, but
that's pretty cumbersome (example: as I write this, I have 71 images on a
CD-RW waiting to be printed).

Does anyone in this newsgroup know of a digital print developer (Web-based
or retailer) that can date-stamp digital prints? I looked at Kodak's Web
site this morning for information on their Picture Maker (a supermarket near
our house has one), but I didn't see anything that indicates that the
machine can do this. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Tim

st...@temple.edu

Dec 27, 2003, 11:52:58 AM12/27/03
In rec.photo.digital Tim <tdo...@twcny.rr.com> wrote:
> When we used a film camera, the resulting prints had the dates on which we
> took the photos stamped in one of the lower corners. We (my wife and I)
> really liked this feature because it made arranging photos chronologically
> in photo albums very easy. I bought her a digital camera for her birthday
> last spring and we enjoy it all other respects, but we have yet to find a
> print developer that can date stamp the prints. We could do this manually by
> looking up the dates using the photo editing software on our computer, but
> that's pretty cumbersome (example: as I write this, I have 71 images on a
> CD-RW waiting to be printed).

Most digital cameras have a feature where it will imprint the data directly
onto each image. Frankly, I think this is a lousy idea to use, but to each
his own. Check your camera's documentation to see if it has this feature.

Med Bennett

Dec 28, 2003, 1:18:24 PM12/28/03
I could easily wite a small program to do this with a graphics/analysis
package called IDL, by looping through the images, reading header and
image, writing the time/date info to the image, and resaving the image.
I am sure that it wouldn't be too hard in C either, but I don't know
that. Surely someone has written such a utility or built it in to their
software, but I don't know of it.

l v

Dec 28, 2003, 6:11:35 PM12/28/03
Med Bennett wrote:

ImageMagick (free) can do this. It is command line driven vs GUI.

The command is as follows to take input file 11.jpg, creates 11.2.jpg
and places exif's original date/time in the farthest bottom right using
orange text sized at 24 points. -quality 100 means zero compression on
the output jpeg. You can change any of the parameters, other paramaters
are not listed i.e. -font Arial.ttf

convert 11.jpg -gravity SouthEast -fill orange -pointsize 24 -draw "text
1,25 '%[exif:DateTimeOriginal]'" -quality 100 11.2.jpg

put the following on one line in a batch file called add_datetime.bat
(for windows)
convert %1 -gravity SouthEast -fill orange -pointsize 24 -draw "text
1,25 '%%[exif:DateTimeOriginal]'" -quality 100 %2

Then you can execute it by...
add_datetime.bat 11.jpg 11.2.jpg

To do the entire directory of jpegs and update the existing file:
for %f in (*.jpg) do add_datetime.bat %f %f

To do the entire directory of jpegs and create a new file named .jpg.jpg:
for %f in (*.jpg) do add_datetime.bat %f %f.jpg

or put them in a sub-directory called updated using the same name:
for %f in (*.jpg) do add_datetime.bat %f updated/%f

Obviously, you will only want to update copies of your files regardless
of the method you use.

Len

Rolf Egil Sølvik

Jan 9, 2004, 3:57:42 PM1/9/04
On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 15:11:47 GMT, "Tim" <tdo...@twcny.rr.com> wrote:

>When we used a film camera, the resulting prints had the dates on which we
>took the photos stamped in one of the lower corners. We (my wife and I)
>really liked this feature because it made arranging photos chronologically
>in photo albums very easy. I bought her a digital camera for her birthday
>last spring and we enjoy it all other respects, but we have yet to find a
>print developer that can date stamp the prints. We could do this manually by
>looking up the dates using the photo editing software on our computer, but
>that's pretty cumbersome (example: as I write this, I have 71 images on a
>CD-RW waiting to be printed).

DCE AutoEnhance will add text to the picture - date and time from the
embedded EXIF information - where you want it to go, as well as
enhance the pictures: http://www.mediachance.com/dce/features.html

David

Jan 9, 2004, 10:52:40 PM1/9/04
no, i'm not an employee of Adobe. However, their program "Adobe Photoshop
Album 2.0" would be ideal to put photos in order. The starter edition is
free, and if you register it with them there's no expiration. I just
downloaded the starter edition, and am seriously considering getting the
full version.

go to http://www.adobe.com/getstarteredition

David
"Rolf Egil Sølvik" <rolfr3m...@c2i.net> wrote in message

Manzoorul Hassan

Jan 19, 2004, 10:14:00 AM1/19/04
I bought Adobe Photo Album v1.0 about a year ago and am having trouble
with the dates on my pictures (both taken with Digital Camera and 35mm
film). It seems that the date stamp is being generated (incorrectly, I
might add) and added by Photo Album as/when I add them into Photo
Album :o(

Maybe they've fixed it with 2.0?? Or, maybe I'm doing it wrong. It
could be that I need to import the pix from my digital camera with
Photo Album.

- manzoor

David

Jan 19, 2004, 11:20:35 AM1/19/04
i haven't had this problem with 2.0

David
"Manzoorul Hassan" <man...@intrnauts.com> wrote in message

Larry CdeBaca

Jan 19, 2004, 3:05:33 PM1/19/04
Then there's the easy-to-overlook setting -- is your PC clock set to the
correct time & date?
XP can synchronize with an internet timeserver. Either you're not
synchronizing, you're synched to the wrong server, or I don't know what I'm
talking about. The last is most likely, just taking a friendly guess.