what camera did Ansel Adams use ?

Customer Service

Mar 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/13/99
Dear Cole

The ARCA-SWISS Ansel Adams used (4x5" and 5x7") was made in Switzerland.
ARCA-SWISS did never produce view cameras in the States.

Kind regards

ARCA-SWISS
Customer Service

Jess4203

Mar 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/13/99
I'm looking thru my copy of The Print and I see Ansel mentioning a 4x5 Korona
made one photo and a 5x7 Zeiss Juwel made some of the others, in addition to
the cameras already mentioned in this thread.

HRphoto

Mar 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/13/99
> Re: what camera did Ansel Adams use ?

Unless I missed it here, Ansel Adams also used a 35mm Zeiss Contarex system.

Heinz Richter
HRphotography

Ruben Sanchez

Mar 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/14/99

Cole,

Most of Ansel's famous photographic work, the ones we see in most of his
books, were taken with an 8 x 10 Ansco view camera and Cooke Series
lenses. I obtained this information from: Ansel Adams, EXAMPLES, The
Making Of 40 Photographs, which lists how he took the photo and what
camera he used.

As Ansel got older, he did shift to lighter cameras, such as 4x5's and
medium format, as he could no longer carry the large format and related
equipment up the sides of mountains like he did in his early days.

R Sanchez

Mike from OZ

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
Ruben,

You are correct on all counts!

Ansel Adams, EXAMPLES, The Making Of 40 Photographs - is a favorite of mine.

I think Ansel used all formats (35mm included) though he *loved* 8X10
best.... I think that shows in his work...

Mike from OZ

Steve Shapiro

Mar 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/28/99

I was interrupted in a conversation with AA as someone asked 'this kindly
old man' if he would take their picture; and I stood there and watche while
he used a disposable point and shoot, too.

Steve Shapiro, Carmel