I need a graflex flashgun 3 cell

IRNMAN2646

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99
if you have one or two of these let me know
Thanks Harry

Thor Lancelot Simon

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99
In article <19991001175959...@ng-da1.aol.com>,

IRNMAN2646 <irnma...@aol.com> wrote:
>if you have one or two of these let me know

Why do you want it? Most people who post here wanting Graflex
flash guns want them so they can destroy them to make "authentic"
Star Wars lightsabers. Over the years since that original
puerile space-opera-cum-morality-play was made, *the majority*
of these useful pieces of photographic equipment have been
destroyed by people who wanted to make a quick buck at
fan conventions selling Star Wars memorabilia.

I suggest that nobody sell any flashguns to this guy until he
demonstrates some kind of working knowledge of large format
cameras -- which seems pretty unlikely, considering that the
last several people who've popped up here wanting Graflex
flashguns, including one who had some bizarre story about
his "grandfather's camera", have all turned out to be fakes.

Sigh.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon t...@rek.tjls.com
"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"

Richard Knoppow

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99
irnma...@aol.com (IRNMAN2646) wrote:

>if you have one or two of these let me know

>Thanks Harry
Not if your going to make light sabers out of them. We all know about
that. Many of us still use these things for their original purpose.
If you want one for use as a flashgun post in rec.photo.marketplace
or rec.photo.marketplace.large-format. Folks will be skeptical there
too so be prepared.
(George Lukas has a _lot_ to answer for.)
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, Ca.
dick...@ix.netcom.com

Victor Blackwell

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99
I have one in my warehouse. I can check tomorrow and make sure.
I only want $1000 for it. BTW, where do you get the tubes to make them
into a Star War torch.

IRNMAN2646 wrote in message
<19991001175959...@ng-da1.aol.com>...

Gdwnphoto

Oct 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/2/99
We have the Graflite flash guns and non-Graflex 3 cells (not Heiland, and not
Star Wars variety).
Amy Goodwin
Goodwin Photo, Inc.
New web page! www.goodwinphotoinc.com
3304 Hancock St.
San Diego, CA 92110
(619) 291-5190/FAX (619) 291-6052
10 day return policy on mail order.Unless marked as is, 30-90 day warranty.
Mon-Sat. 10:30 am - 4:15 pm
gdwn...@aol.com

R. Peters

Oct 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/2/99
Anyone notice the one that (last I looked) was hitting $150 on ebay a
week or so ago? I remember when they didn't sell at $10.00!

bob

On 1 Oct 1999 18:40:42 -0400, t...@panix.com (Thor Lancelot Simon)
wrote:

>In article <19991001175959...@ng-da1.aol.com>,
>IRNMAN2646 <irnma...@aol.com> wrote:

>>if you have one or two of these let me know

Stephen Furley

Oct 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/2/99
In article <19991001175959...@ng-da1.aol.com>,

irnma...@aol.com (IRNMAN2646) wrote:
> if you have one or two of these let me know
> Thanks Harry

He posted this to rec.photo.equipment.aps as well. I would love to see
one (or two) of these on an aps camera. Better still, get some
extensions, and have maybe five cells on each, with the seven inch
reflectors of course! Anybody got some #75 bulbs to go with them? I
think Bill Cress had a few at $85 each, was it?

When this Star Wars craze dies I think I will set up a business
converting lightsabres into flashguns, there may be money in it.

Just a thought for anyone wanting these to use on a camera, are the two
cell ones still available at reasonable prices? If so get one of these
and an extension, and you have, near enough, a three cell.

I have to say that I do admire the workmanship in some of the
lightsabre conversions I have seen pictures of, some fine metalworking
there. If you are reading this Harry, do you fancy making me up a
bracket to mount my three cell on my aps, a Vectis 20?

Darrell A. Larose

Oct 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/3/99

IRNMAN2646 (irnma...@aol.com) writes:
> if you have one or two of these let me know
> Thanks Harry

Try The Camera Exchange II in Ottawa, Canada. I was there on Saturday
and had one in my hand. The also have a bigass speedlite for a Graflex
as well

http://www.camera-exchange.com

Drew Lawson

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99
In article <19991001203533...@ng-bh1.aol.com>
gdwn...@aol.com (Gdwnphoto) writes:

>We have the Graflite flash guns and non-Graflex 3 cells (not Heiland, and not
>Star Wars variety).

Speaking of non-Graflex, non-Heiland . . .

A Speed Graphic that I picked up recently came with a flash that
I haven't seen before (not that I've been doing this long). It
has a logo of what seems to be a smiling sun wearing a crown. As
I recall, the crown says "king" on it, and there may be someplace
that actually says "sun."

Being reckless, I'm wanting to say that "sun king" is the brand,
but can anyone tell me for sure?

--
|Drew Lawson | So many newsgroups |
|dr...@furrfu.com | So little time |

Richard Knoppow

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99
dr...@furrfu.com (Drew Lawson) wrote:

>In article <19991001203533...@ng-bh1.aol.com>
> gdwn...@aol.com (Gdwnphoto) writes:
>
>>We have the Graflite flash guns and non-Graflex 3 cells (not Heiland, and not
>>Star Wars variety).
>
>Speaking of non-Graflex, non-Heiland . . .
>
>A Speed Graphic that I picked up recently came with a flash that
>I haven't seen before (not that I've been doing this long). It
>has a logo of what seems to be a smiling sun wearing a crown. As
>I recall, the crown says "king" on it, and there may be someplace
>that actually says "sun."
>
>Being reckless, I'm wanting to say that "sun king" is the brand,
>but can anyone tell me for sure?

It may be Heiland Research. Heiland used the "King Sol" brand name.
Somtime in the late 1940's or early fifties they got into a trade mark
suit with someone else who used a similar trademark. I don't remember
the details of who the other company was or who wound up with the
trademark.
When flash guns were routinely used there were several brands. A
little searching in popular photography magazines of the period should
identify it.
Almost all of the press photographers used either Graflex or
Heiland guns.

F. Hayashi

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99
On Oct 1, Richard Knoppow typed:

> irnma...@aol.com (IRNMAN2646) wrote:
>
> >if you have one or two of these let me know
> >Thanks Harry

> Not if your going to make light sabers out of them. We all know about
> that. Many of us still use these things for their original purpose.
> If you want one for use as a flashgun post in rec.photo.marketplace
> or rec.photo.marketplace.large-format. Folks will be skeptical there
> too so be prepared.
> (George Lukas has a _lot_ to answer for.)

I'd like to try out using my genuine Graflex 3-cell flashgun for it's
proper use, but I'm wondering how I should go about it.

First of all, I would need a source of bulbs. There was one guy hawking
bulbs on one of the marketplace groups, but he hasn't responded to my
query.

Second, what set up should I use? I have two lenses with the external
flash sync solenoids, and both shutters have another sync. Another lens I
have has the old bipost style sync. I also have a household plug to sync
cable. The problem about the solenoid is that I'm not sure if it will
sync properly... I adjusted them so at least the solenoid triggers the
shutter most of the time, but I'm not sure if there is a proper amount of
delay or not.

Any suggestions?

I guess I could always go out in the dark, open up the shutter, and flash
away...

| Fumitaka Hayashi - hay...@u.washington.edu |
| http://macrophage.immunol.washington.edu/~fumi/index.html |
| Aderem Lab - Dept. of Immunology - University of Washington |

Robert Molson

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99
The graflex flash gun with solenoid worked best with lenses that also had
internal sync. The wiring on the flash gun allowed the solenoid to trip the
shutter, but not the flash bulb.The internal sync of the shutter fired the
flash bulb. This had the advantage of internal sync and a method of tripping
the shutter from the flash gun. As the flash gun was often removed from the
camera and raised up and to one side to minimize harsh shadows behind the
subject. The graflex flash gun was one of the few that had this feature.The
other popular flash equipment was Heiland, and they also had this feature.
Keeping a solenoid in sync was always a problem.Requiring systematic
checks. The simplest being taking the lens and lens board off the camera,
holding the lens over a piece of white paper, aiming the flash gun at the
paper and with the aperture full open,fire the shutter. If the flash was in
sync you would see an open shutter. If it was not in sync you would see the
shutter blades momentarily frozen in the act of opening or closing. Whether
the solenoid was fast or slow was trial and error.

-**** Posted from RemarQ, http://www.remarq.com/?c ****-
Search and Read Usenet Discussions in your Browser

F. Hayashi

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99
On Oct 5, Robert Molson typed:

> The graflex flash gun with solenoid worked best with lenses that also had
> internal sync. The wiring on the flash gun allowed the solenoid to trip the
> shutter, but not the flash bulb.The internal sync of the shutter fired the
> flash bulb. This had the advantage of internal sync and a method of tripping
> the shutter from the flash gun. As the flash gun was often removed from the
> camera and raised up and to one side to minimize harsh shadows behind the
> subject. The graflex flash gun was one of the few that had this feature.The

Okay, I think I like this method. I would use the cable I have now to go
from the flash gun to the solenoid, but I would have to go buy a cable to
go from the shutter back to the flash gun. And I would have to find the
correct plug to plug it into. And figure out which setting to set the
flash gun to...

Which means I should dig out the instruction manual which came with this
camera.

Would people be interested in seeing a scanned version of this instruction
on the net somewhere?

Paul and Paula Butzi

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99
On Tue, 5 Oct 1999 16:25:57 -0700, "F. Hayashi"
<hay...@u.washington.edu> wrote:

>First of all, I would need a source of bulbs. There was one guy hawking
>bulbs on one of the marketplace groups, but he hasn't responded to my
>query.

You might check out www.meggaflash.com
They have both press bulbs and super-mondo
illuminate a huge area bulbs.

I have no idea what they're like to deal with except that an email
query about their very large bulbs brought a speedy reply, some
helpful suggestions, and a nice bunch of info in the regular mail.

I've not ordered bulbs while I figure out how to convince the
police that illuminating an aerial highway interchange at
night with several of these large flashbulbs is not a felony
and is safe.

Pretty cool stuff, though.

-Paul
--
Articles on B&W photography, camera and equipment reviews, and photographs at:
http://www.asymptote.com/butzi (updated 9/10/99)

John Stafford

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99

F. Hayashi <hay...@u.washington.edu> wrote in message

> First of all, I would need a source of bulbs. There was one guy hawking
> bulbs on one of the marketplace groups, but he hasn't responded to my
> query.

GOOD NEWS - Flashbulbs are being made again so you don't have
to worry about finding used ones which work properly.
BAD NEWS - they are EXPENSIVE.

Here's the link: http://www.meggaflash.com/

Drew Lawson

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
In article <HK36N09JJ+9Lli...@4ax.com>

Paul and Paula Butzi <bu...@halcyon.com> writes:

>I've not ordered bulbs while I figure out how to convince the
>police that illuminating an aerial highway interchange at
>night with several of these large flashbulbs is not a felony
>and is safe.

If you're in a place that is familiar with it, point out that it
is no brighter than lightning. (Here in California, that's associated
with rain, which is a strange thing that happens "back east")

--
|Drew Lawson | If you're not part of the solution |
|dr...@furrfu.com | you're part of the precipitate. |

Drew Lawson

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
In article <Pine.A41.4.10.991005...@dante20.u.washington.edu>
"F. Hayashi" <hay...@u.washington.edu> writes:

>Which means I should dig out the instruction manual which came with this
>camera.
>
>Would people be interested in seeing a scanned version of this instruction
>on the net somewhere?

I would. Which model are we talking about?

By chance, I got an instruction manual for a Graflite recently.
I've been thinking of scanning it and adding it to my web site.

Does anyone know what the copyright status is for materials published
by Graflex? They're not old enough to have expired (I don't think).
Any ideas on who owns them now?

With the market in photocopies, I assume the copyright has been
released (or uniformly not enforced).

F. Hayashi

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
On Oct 6, Drew Lawson typed:

> In article <Pine.A41.4.10.991005...@dante20.u.washington.edu>
> "F. Hayashi" <hay...@u.washington.edu> writes:
>
> >Which means I should dig out the instruction manual which came with this
> >camera.
> >
> >Would people be interested in seeing a scanned version of this instruction
> >on the net somewhere?
>
> I would. Which model are we talking about?

3-cell model 2773, I think.
I gotta dig around tonite for it.

Drew Lawson

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99

>Okay, I think I like this method. I would use the cable I have now to go
>from the flash gun to the solenoid, but I would have to go buy a cable to
>go from the shutter back to the flash gun. And I would have to find the
>correct plug to plug it into. And figure out which setting to set the
>flash gun to...

I don't know whether this is what you're looking for, but there in
information on sync cords at flashbulbs.com, along with some for
sale. Look at:

http://www.flashbulbs.com/syncords.htm
http://www.flashbulbs.com/cord_price.htm

Drew Lawson

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
In article <Pine.A41.4.10.991006...@dante36.u.washington.edu>

"F. Hayashi" <hay...@u.washington.edu> writes:
>On Oct 6, Drew Lawson typed:
>
>> >Which means I should dig out the instruction manual which came with this
>> >camera.
>> >
>> >Would people be interested in seeing a scanned version of this instruction
>> >on the net somewhere?
>>
>> I would. Which model are we talking about?
>>

>3-cell model 2773, I think.
>I gotta dig around tonite for it.

Ah, I mis-parsed that. I thought you meant the manual for the
camera. I should have realized you meant the flash since we were
discussing flashes. Yep, 3-cell Graflite is 2773 (one of the few
model numbers I know).

That may be the same manual I have. Still it would be good to have
it on the web somewhere.

F. Hayashi

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
On Oct 6, Drew Lawson typed:

> In article <Pine.A41.4.10.991006...@dante36.u.washington.edu>
> "F. Hayashi" <hay...@u.washington.edu> writes:
> >On Oct 6, Drew Lawson typed:

> >> I would. Which model are we talking about?
> >>

> >3-cell model 2773, I think.
> >I gotta dig around tonite for it.
>
> Ah, I mis-parsed that. I thought you meant the manual for the
> camera. I should have realized you meant the flash since we were
> discussing flashes. Yep, 3-cell Graflite is 2773 (one of the few
> model numbers I know).
>
> That may be the same manual I have. Still it would be good to have
> it on the web somewhere.

I'll look to see if I have the Crown Graphic instructions as well...

Richard Knoppow

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
"F. Hayashi" <hay...@u.washington.edu> wrote:

>On Oct 5, Robert Molson typed:
>
>> The graflex flash gun with solenoid worked best with lenses that also had
>> internal sync. The wiring on the flash gun allowed the solenoid to trip the
>> shutter, but not the flash bulb.The internal sync of the shutter fired the
>> flash bulb. This had the advantage of internal sync and a method of tripping
>> the shutter from the flash gun. As the flash gun was often removed from the
>> camera and raised up and to one side to minimize harsh shadows behind the
>> subject. The graflex flash gun was one of the few that had this feature.The
>

>Okay, I think I like this method. I would use the cable I have now to go
>from the flash gun to the solenoid, but I would have to go buy a cable to
>go from the shutter back to the flash gun. And I would have to find the
>correct plug to plug it into. And figure out which setting to set the
>flash gun to...
>

>Which means I should dig out the instruction manual which came with this
>camera.
>
>Would people be interested in seeing a scanned version of this instruction
>on the net somewhere?
>

>+-------------------------------------------------------------+
>| Fumitaka Hayashi - hay...@u.washington.edu |
>| http://macrophage.immunol.washington.edu/~fumi/index.html |
>| Aderem Lab - Dept. of Immunology - University of Washington |
>+-------------------------------------------------------------+

Find a 1950 or later edition of _Graphic-Graflex Photography_ it
will have complete instructions for wiring the Graflite flashgun.
Also check the Graflex web site. I don't know for sure there is
information there but its worth a look. http://www.graflex.org
A note: Solenoids can be adjusted by using an oscilloscope. You need
one with accurate time base calibration and one-shot trigger
capability. The sweep is set for a rate which will put 20ms somewhere
the center of the screen. Mark the 20ms position with grease pencil to
make it easy to see.
The sweep is triggered by the flashbulb contacts of the flashgun.
Remove the lens cells from the shutter and set the shutter at its
highest speed. Look at the screen through the shutter. When fired the
gun will start the sweep and a segment of the sweep will be visible
through the shutter. Adjust the solenoid so that the segment is
centered on the 20ms mark. That will put the bulb peak accurately at
the center of the shutter maximum opening.

Martin J.Winfield

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99

John Stafford <Jo...@Stafford.net> wrote in message

> GOOD NEWS - Flashbulbs are being made again so you don't have
> to worry about finding used ones which work properly.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Now that really would be a problem - more than just a worry!

--
Martin J. Winfield
Herefordshire, UK.

anthony...@gmail.com

Aug 8, 2017, 11:21:34 PM8/8/17
On Friday, October 1, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, IRNMAN2646 wrote:
> if you have one or two of these let me know
> Thanks Harry

let me know if you have one up for cheap I need one for my vintage camera but when i go on eBay they are all used for lightsabers so they are very expensive and i just want it for a camera so just let me know if you have one for about $100 or less thank you for reading this