Rodenstock Imagon 360 mm lens

94 views
Skip to first unread message

Jaan Peets

unread,
Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
to
I have in my hands a Rodenstock Imagon 360 f/5.8 lens, with 3 front mounted
perforated disks and ND filter.

There is some information posted here and there about the shorter focal
length versions of this lens, but not beyond 300 mm.

I am hoping someone can dig out the following info:

1) What is the coverage of this lens (will it cover 5X7? 8X10?)

2) How do the disks work? Since there is no iris, I assume that the markings
on the disks correspond to the effective aperture with the perforations
open/closed.

3) I also assume that the smaller the central aperture, the less "soft" the
image.

4) Is there any info on the use of these lenses? I realize that the shorter
focal length lenses are still available. Would anyone out there have an
instruction book for them?

Many thanks in advance to the kind soul that helps me with this!

Jaan

MStew4291

unread,
Mar 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/1/00
to
I have a set of instructions for the Imagon lens. Email me your address and I
would be happy to send you a copy.

Frank Filippone

unread,
Mar 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/1/00
to
I was told by Bob Salomon of HP Marketing, the Rodenstock Distii in the USA
that the 120-150 is for 6x6 or 6x9; the 200 is for 3 1/4 by 4 1/4; the 250
is for 4x5, the 300 for 5x7, and the 360 for 8x10. Well, that at least is
what I
remember....

Bob, did I get it right?

use the lens wide open, with the disc. The disk will tell you the F-Stop,
open:

Frank

Richard Knoppow

unread,
Mar 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/1/00
to
"Jaan Peets" <jpe...@netcom.ca> wrote:

The actual lens is a color corrected meniscus with delibrately
uncorrected spherical aberration.
Your guesses are right about the effective f/stop and amount of
diffusion produced. The idea of the lens is that the disc not only
controlls the relative amount of light going through the relatively
well corrected center vs: the margins of the lens but that the disk
itself produces some diffusion by producing multiple out of focus
images (it can be seen as a bunch of pin-hole apertures). This gives
Imagon pictures a unique look.
You can likely get an instruction book for the current version from
Rodenstock, the technique of using it should be the same as for the
shorter FL versions.
You can also try John S. Craig, who has instruction books for nearly
everything. http://www.craigcamera.com
My very old data indicates an image circle of 42deg at infinity
focus. For 8x10 the image circle of a 360mm lens would be about 46deg.
The lens would probably just cover it but is intended for a smaller
format, probably 5x7.
The rule of thumb for portrait lens focal length is that it should
be from two to three times the long dimension of the format. That
makes this one usful for either 5x7 or 4x5.
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, Ca.
dick...@ix.netcom.com

Pam Niedermayer

unread,
Mar 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/1/00
to
Bob Salomon says there is no instruction manual; but he did
send me this email (along with instructions to call for more
information, which I haven't had a chance to do yet):

"The Imagon has the glass behind the shutter and the disks
in front. The
aperture in the shutter is NOT used when using an Imagon.
The disks and the
ND filter control exposure. There are 3 disks supplied with
each lens.

Your lens was made after 1957 and before 1961.

We do not have any instruction books. The rules to remember are:

Lots of contrast 5:1 ratio
No umbrellas
Softness effect changes with the disk, its' setting and the contrast."

Maybe Bob means there are currently no new instruction
manuals? MSte...@aol.com has volunteered to mail
instructions. I've emailed John Craig.

Pam

Richard Knoppow wrote re Imagon:


> You can likely get an instruction book for the current version from
> Rodenstock, the technique of using it should be the same as for the
> shorter FL versions.
> You can also try John S. Craig, who has instruction books for nearly
> everything. http://www.craigcamera.com
> My very old data indicates an image circle of 42deg at infinity
> focus. For 8x10 the image circle of a 360mm lens would be about 46deg.
> The lens would probably just cover it but is intended for a smaller
> format, probably 5x7.
> The rule of thumb for portrait lens focal length is that it should
> be from two to three times the long dimension of the format. That
> makes this one usful for either 5x7 or 4x5.
> ---
> Richard Knoppow
> Los Angeles, Ca.
> dick...@ix.netcom.com

--
Pamela G. Niedermayer
Pinehill Softworks Inc.
1221 S. Congress Ave., #1225
Austin, TX 78704
512-416-1141
512-416-1440 fax
http://www.pinehill.com

peter

unread,
Mar 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/1/00
to

Jaan Peets <jpe...@netcom.ca> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
rXYu4.3572$Xk2....@tor-nn1.netcom.ca...

> I have in my hands a Rodenstock Imagon 360 f/5.8 lens, with 3 front
mounted
> perforated disks and ND filter.
>
> There is some information posted here and there about the shorter focal
> length versions of this lens, but not beyond 300 mm.
>
> I am hoping someone can dig out the following info:
>
> 1) What is the coverage of this lens (will it cover 5X7? 8X10?)
>
> 2) How do the disks work? Since there is no iris, I assume that the
markings
> on the disks correspond to the effective aperture with the perforations
> open/closed.
>
> 3) I also assume that the smaller the central aperture, the less "soft"
the
> image.
>
> 4) Is there any info on the use of these lenses? I realize that the
shorter
> focal length lenses are still available. Would anyone out there have an
> instruction book for them?
>
> Many thanks in advance to the kind soul that helps me with this!
>
> Jaan

There was an instruction booklet in the past. For my Imagons I've
two different ones. But only in german. ;-(
Peter

Pam Niedermayer

unread,
Mar 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/1/00
to
John Craig says he has nothing at this time; but will keep
an eye out.

Pam

peter wrote:
>
> Jaan Peets <jpe...@netcom.ca> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:

> > Would anyone out there have an
> > instruction book for them?
> >
> > Many thanks in advance to the kind soul that helps me with this!
> >
> > Jaan
>
> There was an instruction booklet in the past. For my Imagons I've
> two different ones. But only in german. ;-(
> Peter

--

fra...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 12, 2017, 7:29:35 PM10/12/17
to
On Wednesday, March 1, 2000 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, MStew4291 wrote:
> I have a set of instructions for the Imagon lens. Email me your address and I
> would be happy to send you a copy.

MStew4291,

If you still have a copy of the Imagon instructions would you email them to fra...@gmail.com?

I have a 360mm Imagon with two aperture disks and no ND filter. I am hoping to make some paper negatives on an 8x10 camera with this lens.

Thank you for any help.

-francis schanberger
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages